Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermenting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Carrollj

So the verdict is in..... I finally popped the bottles last night and i was glad i did. Basically it opened like champagne and i lost half of the litre bottle! The smell would turn anybody off of drink for good but it tasted quite nice. Fairly sweet and quite strong. So i pushed on and decided on open the second bottle. Just to let ye know i got the bottles in IKEA they're like the grolsch bottles. This time the pressure was so great it blew the glass clean off the top of the bottle!

I think i'll have to get some tools before i do it again. The next thing i want to try is stout so i'll be back on soon enough to give ye an update. Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Well all stat=rt some where Carrollj, keep up the good work:) I would recommend any of the all malt kits out there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Carrollj wrote: »
    This time the pressure was so great it blew the glass clean off the top of the bottle!
    How long did you let it ferment before putting it in the bottles? Sounds like it wasn't finished.

Well the mixture was sitting there for close to a week before i added the bakers yeast and once that was in i left it for a further 2-3days and then i bottled it for roughly a week. I read that it would finish fermenting in the bottles. There was sediment at the bottom of the bottles just before i popped them, i presumed that's the norm?

Cheers Oblivious, i'll have to get my hands on one of those. I'll be back on to pester ye soon enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I remember painting most of the back kitchen with elderflower wine when I was trying to topup my demijohn. I had kept back a large grolch bottle in the fridge thinking it would stay nice and quiet in there!
    I have used large plastic fizzy drinks 1.5L bottles for beer in the past. I have never managed to explode one and you can let them off fairly gently if the brew is a bit high when you're opening. Enjoy.
    I haven't done any in years. I might go and see if I can find a bucket.
    Your local pharmacy might be able to supply the hydrometer and a few bits. Easons used to have a home brew section too.

Well the mixture was sitting there for close to a week before i added the bakers yeast and once that was in i left it for a further 2-3days and then i bottled it for roughly a week. QUOTE]

That sounds a bit quick. I can't wait for opening night

Thanks for that, i've been lookin on adverts.ie but the kits seem to get snatched pretty quickly

too quick for bottling or too quick for popping?

too quick for bottling or too quick for popping?
    Both. You should be looking at two weeks fermentation before bottling, then add a tiny bit more sugar to create your fizz then leave another two weeks conditioning. Minimum.

Your yeast is still converting the sugar into alcohol and pumping out CO2 into the sealed environment. Put your bottles somewhere where spontaneous explosions won't do any damage.

• Advertisement

AH...well i followed that river cottage recipe and he was saying you can drink it after 2 days fermenting! but i'll take your word for it. I still found it to have a fair bit of fizz to it but i'll add more sugar next time. How much more sugar out of curiosity? Should there be a release on the bottles or once i have them closed leave them closed?

Yeah, I have just printed the recipe and it isn't very clear. I would say 2 weeks fermenting in the bucket (cover with muslin after it has quietened down) and then bottle. It used to be a small teaspon of sugar to each bottle to stimulate secondary fermentation, which is the fizz in the bottle.

What do you mean by calmed down?

Just not bubbling so much. When it's really active it will keep itself clean but when it slows and isn't producing so much CO2, other natural yeasts and airborne bits (fruitflies) could get in and spoil things on you.

AH...well i followed that river cottage recipe and he was saying you can drink it after 2 days fermenting!
    Yes, you're not the first to make bottle bombs because Hugh said so. The man's a liability.
    I still found it to have a fair bit of fizz to it
    With the pressure shattering your bottleneck, that's a bit of an understatement :D
    but i'll add more sugar next time. How much more sugar out of curiosity?
    Depends how fizzy you want it. I'd go with about a teaspoonful per litre bottle, starting out. If it's not fizzy enough, add a bit more next time. The important thing is that your initial fermentation has stopped before you bottle.
    Should there be a release on the bottles or once i have them closed leave them closed?
    You should leave them closed. You should be in control of the fermentation to the extent that any CO2 generated in the bottle is CO2 you want dissolved in the finished product.

Great, well i'll be picking some more nettles tomorrow for another batch and i'll follow what you said

when it slows and isn't producing so much CO2, other natural yeasts and airborne bits (fruitflies) could get in and spoil things on you.
    The blanket of CO2 on the surface should keep most things out, and a lid is a better cover than muslin for keeping bigger objects away.

The more of the initial sugar the yeast eats the more alcohol it leaves behind! As the alcohol level rises the yeast level drops. The teaspoon of sugar should give just enough boost to make a good head when it is poured. Try putting different amounts in different bottles and see results. I don't think a bigger bottle (1.5L) will need x3 the sugar a .5L bottle would need. Maybe just 1.5 tsp.

So once it has fermented fully i should then bottle it and add more sugar into each individual bottle?

HA HA i'll be back to you Boardnashea with a painting bill for the walls!

• Advertisement

So once it has fermented fully i should then bottle it and add more sugar into each individual bottle?
    Exactly. What I do is batch prime -- siphon the fully fermented drink into another bucket, mix in a sugar solution, and bottle from there -- but priming each individual bottle is fine too.

Cool, i'm looking forward to the new batch already, maybe it wont smell so bad this time!

Me too :p

I've just been shocked :eek: to discover that home brew stuff can't be bought in Ireland anymore!! Lots of stuff on the web of course. But I'm sure a mate will pick up a few bits in the UK for me and post them over.
    Old news to most I'm sure.

I've just been shocked :eek: to discover that home brew stuff can't be bought in Ireland anymore!! Lots of stuff on the web of course. But I'm sure a mate will pick up a few bits in the UK for me and post them over.
    Old news to most I'm sure.

Did you mean a brick and mortar place? as there are few Irish shops on line

home brew stuff can't be bought in Ireland anymore!
    There's a bricks-and-mortar shop on the Dublin Road in Athlone called Best Brew. You can also arrange pick-up in person from the Home Brew Company in Mountmellick.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can also arrange pick-up in person from the Home Brew Company in Mountmellick.

Also the best in the country IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, you're not the first to make bottle bombs because Hugh said so. The man's a liability.

With the pressure shattering your bottleneck, that's a bit of an understatement :D

I have a few of the 1 liter Ikea bottles and wouldn't trust them to hold any pressure. In saying that I have my nettle juice stored in one for a few days before it starts it's brewing journey.

Thanks BeerNut. I passed through Mountmellick and the nice people there sorted out all my needs. Now ready to start the bubbles rising from the nettle stock. I got a recommended kit as well for when the nettle proves to still have a sting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Mantel wrote: »
    I have a few of the 1 liter Ikea bottles and wouldn't trust them to hold any pressure. In saying that I have my nettle juice stored in one for a few days before it starts it's brewing journey.

i presume its the fliptops your talking about......i used them for a cider i did....they are fine!!

Advertisement