Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK bus driver faces sack for reading a book while driving with his elbows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

see this regularly in Dublin, also the newspaper on the centre of the steering wheel.

In fairness mainly only when bus is stopped at lights or in heavy traffic but the odd time while on a clear road.

Hope it was a good read :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

see this regularly in Dublin, also the newspaper on the centre of the steering wheel.

In fairness mainly only when bus is stopped at lights or in heavy traffic but the odd time while on a clear road.

Hope it was a good read :D

Yeah I see this all the time with dublin bus drivers. I thought it was gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Have they never heard of an MP3 player with ebook:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Philistine wrote: »
    Have they never heard of an MP3 player with ebook:D

The public sector are opposed to any kind of newfangled efficiency improving technology.

Stonewolf wrote: »
    The public sector are opposed to any kind of newfangled efficiency improving technology.

That's unfair...
    They're more than happy to embrace new technology once they're adequately remunerated:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's unfair...
    They're more than happy to embrace new technology once they're adequately remunerated:rolleyes:

a device for holding the book at eye level perhaps so hands are free for things like steering (though it would also require an automated voice activated page turner)

:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

should also be facing jail imo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    should also be facing jail imo

why?

Its not illegal and the worst you could put it as is driving without due care and attention, few points and a fine at most. Of course its bad customer service and bad work practice and he should be sacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it is not like he was doing in in his own car during the rushour traffic, he is a professional driver and should be seen to be just that, he can kill a lot more people in a bus, i think anyone doing this should face jail as it puts lives at risk and is no better than drink driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cleveland browne

Dublin Bus are not public sector. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's unfair...

Articulated buses
    Tri-axle buses
    New Radio system
    New AVLS system
    8 on board cameras filming all the time
    Wheel accessible ramps.
    Digital displays
    Door brake
    Wheelchair support arm
    New Ticket machines
    New ticket validators

All brought in and operated without any additional renumeration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

This clip was posted by a passenger on Utube last Monday when it got back to his bosses at National Express and the media. Shocking, he won't be doing it again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267682/Bus-driver-filmed-reading-BOOK-picked-passengers.html

Seen this many, many times on Dublin Bus.

Articulated buses
    Tri-axle buses
    New Radio system
    New AVLS system
    8 on board cameras filming all the time
    Wheel accessible ramps.
    Digital displays
    Door brake
    Wheelchair support arm
    New Ticket machines
    New ticket validators

All brought in and operated without any additional renumeration.

Sweet Jesus...you could hardly call all of this "new Technology" and some of it isn't even driver operated!!!
    That said, just because they didn't get paid extra for "operating" this new equipment, doesn't mean they didn't chance their arm and ask for extra money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Sweet Jesus...you could hardly call all of this "new Technology" and some of it isn't even driver operated!!!
    That said, just because they didn't get paid extra for "operating" this new equipment, doesn't mean they didn't chance their arm and ask for extra money!

Wouldn't you chance your arm for a few extra quid? Sure its worth a shot :p

Seen this a few times but its never been a problem usually in rotten traffic on a 145 or 45 going through bray

Dublin Bus are not public sector. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are they private sector???
    Semi-state company. They're public sector.

Are they private sector???
    Semi-state company. They're public sector.

No Semi state companies are not public sector no public sector pension not covered under the various benchmarking.
    Perhaps you might learn what the public sector actually is before opening your mouth.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All introduced without any request for extra money.But don't let the facts get in the way of your bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think we have a DB driver in our midst.

What cant we criticise now ?

landyman wrote: »
    I think we have a DB driver in our midst.

What cant we criticise now ?

You can criticise anything you want just try and stick to actual facts though not smart arsed comments that are actually untrue.
    Or perhaps you would prefer if smart arsed untruths went unchallenged.

You can criticise anything you want just try and stick to actual facts though not smart arsed comments that are actually untrue.
    Or perhaps you would prefer if smart arsed untruths went unchallenged.

time you declared in the conflict of interest thread I think, all posts to date directly DB related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think Philistine made an assumption and got caught out, and should be man enough to admit it. We've all done it let's face it - I got corrected the other by DWCommuter on the Mark 3 thread because I half-remembered something and didn't check it first - bad me no cookie. :(

@cleveland browne, however, the history of CIE and public/semi-state unions generally in respect of new technology, longer trains etc. has not been forgotten in the public mind as you can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Door brake
    What's that?

time you declared in the conflict of interest thread I think, all posts to date directly DB related.

No problem I have hardly been trying to hide where i work now have I.:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Door brakes - are they in Dublin these days?

dowlingm wrote: »
    I think Philistine made an assumption and got caught out, and should be man enough to admit it. We've all done it let's face it - I got corrected the other by DWCommuter on the Mark 3 thread because I half-remembered something and didn't check it first - bad me no cookie. :(

@cleveland browne, however, the history of CIE and public/semi-state unions generally in respect of new technology, longer trains etc. has not been forgotten in the public mind as you can see.

There is a perception and there is a reality

First off it should be remembered that the person that this thread is about actually works for a large private sector company. But somehow people use the stupidity of a private sector worker in a different country to have a pop at the public sector in this country. ( even though public transport workers in this country are not part of the public sector:confused:).

Now as to the public/semi state trade unions all you provided was one example. I provided a long list pertaining to recent changes in Dublin Bus not one of them was held up or delayed or subject to a wage claim not one. The roll out of RTPI and integrated ticketing which has taken an age is not because of an union action.
    The truth is that we have this myth peddled out all the time that unions are militant in this country when the truth is the exact opposite.
    For example in Dublin Buses case lets take articulated buses no claim was ever submitted for their introduction despite the fact that they are more difficult to drive and involve more work for the driver even the fact that no infrastructure was ever put in place for them ie longer stops for example did not hold up their introduction or use.
    Is this the sign of a militant union.
    The person who was judged by the company to be responsible for the unofficial dispute in Harristwon last year was sacked by the company even though he was on the executive of the NBRU. What did these militant unions we hear all about do? NOTHING.

Even outside of Dublin Bus we have the continual lambasting of trade unions and the Public sector. They have had their wages cut twice within 12 months pay agreements breached extra work because of an embargo on taking on new employees and the reaction of this militant trade union movement was what?
    Muted to say the least.
    I can hardly think of another EU country where that could be done and the unions would do squat about it. Look at Greece they are terminally ****ed their government announces cuts and there are riots on the streets.

People need to get their heads out of their arses and look around we have a very tame set of trade unions in this country. Instead of jumping on the public service bashing band wagon people should be thanking their lucky stars we are not upto our necks in strikes and riots making a bad situation worse.
    Lets not forget Public servants did not make this mess private sector banks and developers did with the aid of a corrupt political system and all the cuts of last year including pay cuts for teachers, gardai, nurses, soldiers, Firefighthers, etc etc were wiped out by the 4 billion pumped into Anglo Irish but Seanie could still afford to head of to Portugal for the Easter break.
    Give the public sector a break and direct your anger at the people responsible for the mess.

( and i'm still not a public sector employee)

Red Alert wrote: »
    Door brakes - are they in Dublin these days?

Yes on nearly all the AV buses have them. the RAs have not been fitted as they are to be scrapped and it has not been implemented on the EVs yet. Pain in the arse slows the bus down but there you go.

Advertisement