Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

willie clancy week 2010

• 21-04-2010 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi

Whats the Willie Clancy week like? my parents are 30 yrs married in August and we want to send them away for a weekend instead of having a party, they both enjoy trad music so I was thinking of sending them to clare for the Willie Clancy week.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Here's the website:

http://www.setdancingnews.net

/wcss/

Can be pretty exhausting if you're not used to that kind of thing, it took me a few years to learn to pace myself. I suppose it's called getting older!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

the willie clancy weekend is great craic during the day but can get messy at weekend nights. accomodation would be fairly scarce so i,d be inclined to book early unless your parents dont mind camping in spanish point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You could try the Bellbridge hotel, Spanish Point for accomodation, some good seisiuns there for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

What eyebrows said. It's fantastic during the day but at nights towards the weekend it can be a bit rough. That said, last year seemed a 100 times more civilised than the previous few years. The scumbag element who turn up for any big festival seemed to give it a miss. Maybe it's to do with there being less money around.

And if it's a bit mobbed with loud drunk people you just go to a pub further out of town. There are so many sessions on your spoilt for choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 patrick74

Last year was a good year and Id say this year will be the same
    as people wont be going abroad much for holidays....will it be messy
    at night-of course especially after the tent
    closes at the Players.....but things were not too bad last year.
    The Armada and the Bellbridge in Spanish point would be suitable
    for your parents at night as Miltown pubs get fairly packed late
    at night.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

for someone married 30yrs, it would be too tough, mine are married 35 and are close enough to miltown, they dont go anymore because of the behaviour.... place can get full of drunken kids and adults with no interest in the music.
    during the day, the music is fantastic in some of the pubs.
    if you were going to send them there, id send them mid week, and during the day enjoy the music in the blondes and michael As and then spend evening in the bar in the armada, bellbridge or even moroneys in mullagh.

milltown during willie week does get rough. ive had the displeasure of trying to enjoy a drink or two at it in the evenings which is impossible
    i have been going there with 8years, in that time, ive seen great musicians, fights, people getting sick, underage drinking. my friends had everything in their tent robbed.

I heard the weekend was quiet enough there. I must give a run there during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I was there till about 9.30 last night. It certainly was quieter. Plenty of good music around anyway I enjoyed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I'm going up on Saturday for 1 night. Where would ye recommed going? Or will it be finished by then? Any place with cheap accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

clio_16v wrote: »
    I'm going up on Saturday for 1 night. Where would ye recommed going? Or will it be finished by then? Any place with cheap accommodation?
    Why should there be cheap accomodation:pac:
    It's the one and only week of the year the place gets mobbed with visitors.
    Expect high occupancy rates and consequent highish price for a place to lie.

• Advertisement

I was there last night, greast craic around. I was in about 10 pubs and sessions in all of them, some had a couple of them going on.
    The Hotel has changed to a Hostel, try it for accomodation.

http://centralhostel.westclare.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭weightlifter

Is there camping in the town this year? I was there 2 or 3 years ago and there was a big field open right on the edge of town for camping. Quite a lot of people in there. Is it open this year also?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

theres a campsite about 2 miles out of town, with proper amenities and what have you. You would be better off staying there, and walking/hitching in and out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭weightlifter

theres a campsite about 2 miles out of town, with proper amenities and what have you. You would be better off staying there, and walking/hitching in and out of town

Thanks for the advice, but doesn't quiteanswer my question. Do you know if that area is open to the public for camping this year? I may be arriving late on the Friday and staying only on night, so would much prefer the closer location and would not be too worried about amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

ok, well I dont know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

Thanks for the advice, but doesn't quiteanswer my question. Do you know if that area is open to the public for camping this year? I may be arriving late on the Friday and staying only on night, so would much prefer the closer location and would not be too worried about amenities.

To be honest willie clancy week in miltown is fairly laid back when it comes to the rules and regulations, id say if you are arriving late on friday and camp out in the same field that you did before i could almost guarantee that there will be no hassle, otherwise head to spanish point and its camper happy back there and only a 15 min walk to the town

You don't have to go to Spanish Point to camp. There are two nearly in the town. The Clonbony gaa pitch is at the side of Clearys pub on the Lahinch Road and there is also one up the side road opposite the Lahinch Road cross.
    Well they were there other years anyway. The Clonbony pitch would be the closest to the town, 1 min walk.

Advertisement