Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Maps Navigator?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Yeah some guys on the Google support pages complained yesterday that Maps wasn't showing up in the market for Ireland and one of the engineers said he would get it looked at.

Hehe there is a few different accents you can choose from :-)
    Can you please tell me where to change the voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Loggie wrote: »
    Can you please tell me where to change the voice?

Menu
    --Settings
    ---Test-to-speech
    ----Language

You can choose between British and USA English. As well as some other European languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Menu
    --Settings
    ---Test-to-speech
    ----Language

You can choose between British and USA English. As well as some other European languages.
    Nice one, thanks Damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The British English one sounds MUCH better than the American English one, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

It's working on my xperia x10 now. I just turned the phone off and on again last night and it said there was an update for maps when i checked the market. Should be very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Just ordered my Desire ;o)

Does anyone know of any docks to mount the phone to the wind shield ala a dedicated sat nav device, only see a few clunky generic ones on Amazon!

Go Team!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

It appeared in the Market as an update on my Nexus One today and the navigation is now working :)

The version I now have is 4.1.1 (#4156).

Note that the directions need to be for driving for the navigation option to come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

ceejay wrote: »
    It appeared in the Market as an update on my Nexus One today and the navigation is now working :)

Popped in the notification bar of my Desire today too. took me to the market for the 4.1.1. update. Works great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Re: Holder for the car.

This one looks pretty neat, about £10 delivered and includes a charger...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneM8-Dedicated-Windscreen-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B003IU0Y6Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272043742&sr=8-11

I'll report back when it arrives.

Go Team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Google maps seem to be way behind the ovi maps when it comes to new road layouts such as the m50 feeeflow junctions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Google maps seem to be way behind the ovi maps when it comes to new road layouts such as the m50 feeeflow junctions

Was just going to ask, how often do Google update their maps because the old N6 is still the primary road from Athlone to Galway :confused:

EDIT: Just had another look there and it looks like the N6 is Actually named wrong. It's the M6!! My bad.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Works great on Acer Liquid. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can anyone say what the 3g coverage is like on Meteor? Would be interested in using the google maps navigation but I'm guessing you have to be constantly connected to the internet for that to work, and with meteor you're bound to drive through plenty of patches where there is no coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Can anyone say what the 3g coverage is like on Meteor? Would be interested in using the google maps navigation but I'm guessing you have to be constantly connected to the internet for that to work, and with meteor you're bound to drive through plenty of patches where there is no coverage.

No you don't have to be constantly connected to the internet (or so i've read:p). It loads you route from where you start and unless you change the route while you're driving, it won't use anymore data.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Running this on a rooted Hero and very impressed. The default routes are a little suspect but the rerouting was incredibly fast. The way it pronounces placenames is hilarious (Blonk-hearts-own is the best so far) but that's to be expected I guess.

I must try this British voice out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

jwcurtin wrote: »
    No you don't have to be constantly connected to the internet (or so i've read:p). It loads you route from where you start and unless you change the route while you're driving, it won't use anymore data.:D:D

Can anyone esle say if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Can anyone esle say if this is true?

Yup tried it, Only thing it won't do is if you go off the route it suggests is reroute you. But if you stick to the route it made out your fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭ffocused

I love going through 'traffic circles' now, crack me up every time.:p:p

Down my way the google maps are more up to date the the latest Garmin maps on my dedicated sat nav. The new M9 is on it, and a new road from the M9 to Athy, (which is only open for a few weeks now) is also on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Update to Maps available via Market to version 4.2. Adds Navigator as a Program which can be started on its own without doing it thru Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jwcurtin wrote: »

I went down the country with it on navigation and at places it didn't show the map itself where the data connection was not available particularly going through the north.

Also I'd love to have latitude also available whilest navigating as I use that so my OH know how far I am from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

I dunno if this has been there on previous google map versions but I only noticed now the ability to use the accelerometer in street view. Its in the option menu when in streetview mode under "compass mode". Very impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I have to admit I've never really used the navigation feature but I just put in my sisters address that's 3km away and it wants me to pull a hand break style turn in the middle of a Motorway so I can use the exit ramp for traffic in the opposite direction. Not the smartest thing to be doing I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JohnK wrote: »
    I have to admit I've never really used the navigation feature but I just put in my sisters address that's 3km away and it wants me to pull a hand break style turn in the middle of a Motorway so I can use the exit ramp for traffic in the opposite direction. Not the smartest thing to be doing I would have thought.

It's a bit dodgy in places. Told me to take a hard right from Stephen's Green to Merrion Row this morning!

Still, for the price, who can complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

I use this and I think its great. yes its a little off at times but for free im not complaining.

Advertisement