Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CIE v Wexford Bus on Pat Kenny

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I suppose this could be described as the Sean Quinn principle,whereby no harm is deemed to be done once there are a few oul "local" jobs created/preserved.

Additionally the "get off the bus anywhere" stunt only serves to underline a far more serious problem for the likes of Wexford Bus and that is where do they draw the line in observing the regulations.

There are long standing and understandable reasons for having Bus Stops,most of which revolve around practicality and Safety.
    It is my understanding that a requirement of a route licence is to furnish the Gardai with a list of proposed Stops for their approval.

Subsequent to that approval,an operator may then apply for Local Authority approval to erect a Pole or Shelter.

However,if the Gardai decide there is a safety issue with a particular location then permission will be refused.

Wexford Bus`s "drop em off anywhere" policy will only last until it`s first accident in or around a Stopping point.
    Once an injured party`s barrister gets wind of a stopping point having no official approval then I guarantee Wexford Bus`s management will be fairly rapid in "regularising" their stopping arrangements.

However,as it stands our countrys Public Transport Regulatory procedures are largely irrelevant until the Patton Flyer case reaches it`s conclusion.

It`s also worth noting that it`s First Aircoach which is experiencing some of the worst aspects of the cavalier operator as not only are the Taxi Drivers scalping their business but now Wexford Bus is also muscling in on the Aircoach stops...ah well,sure a lad hasta make a shillin.....:)

What i was getting at is that they were transferring (for free) people down to rosslare harbour from wexford, which had no effect whatsoever on their insurance, thereby there being no harm done that i can see, or to that case any law broken(im no legal expert however). By doing this perhaps a few more people travelled with them dublin/wexford which would lessen the effect of the closure in dublin airport.

Maybe i wasnt clear enough, they dont just drop you in the middle of the road naturally or on a motorway. What i mean is say coming into dublin if you want to get off at lets say donybrook, theyll let you off at donnybrook, at a an approved bus stop, which normally ends up being a DB or BE one, being it in Dublin. Also, they dont pick passangers up anywhere past arklow so far from taking fares from aircoach i would say! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Also, they`re not supposed to pick passangers up anywhere past arklow so far from taking fares from aircoach i would say!

Fixed that for ye.... ;)

Wexford Bus pulls up at Aircoach Stop in Shankhill to drop off passenger,assembled Aircoach customers enquire..."do you go to the same Dublin Airport mate ?.....ah sure we`ll get your Bus now that you`re here...." ;););)

What would YOUR Driver do in that situation ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Fixed that for ye.... ;)

Wexford Bus pulls up at Aircoach Stop in Shankhill to drop off passenger,assembled Aircoach customers enquire..."do you go to the same Dublin Airport mate ?.....ah sure we`ll get your Bus now that you`re here...." ;););)

What would YOUR Driver do in that situation ?
    jj kavanagh's bus pulls up at the stop opposite hueston station and people waiting on the bus eireann service to naas decide they will get this bus instead, the customer is entitled to chose who they give their money to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    jj kavanagh's bus pulls up at the stop opposite hueston station and people waiting on the bus eireann service to naas decide they will get this bus instead, the customer is entitled to chose who they give their money to!

yes, they are but in that, and the wexbus circumstance above, the operator is not licensed to nor entitled to offer that choice to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 centrewest

yes, they are but in that, and the wexbus circumstance above, the operator is not licensed to nor entitled to offer that choice to the customer.

i think piracy is an appropriate word for this common place activity, not consumer choice, choice would be different schedules, fares and routes, but try to explain that to our indigenous operators, they appear to think choice is getting to a cie bus stop ahead of cie and then cry foul when criticized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Do Wexford Bus ever go to Waterford does anybody actually know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Do Wexford Bus ever go to Waterford does anybody actually know?

No they dont.

Interestingly if/when the waterford/rosslare train shuts down they may well be tempted to try get a license for that route, for student services if nothing else, bus eireann cover it but not that frequently at all at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭gjim

Public transport should be state-run or at least one private operator run under state guidelines (like the Luas for example). Multiple companies on the the same similar routes is just a waste of money and resources which invariably the taxpayer has to cover.
    Could you state your position more clearly?

The above is either inconsistent or a tautology.

Literally, you are claiming that public transport should either be state-run or have multiple ("at least one") private operators (presumably - given the Luas analogy - you mean in addition to the services provided by the state-run operator?).

Advertisement