Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Novell Message Popup'

Options
  • 21-04-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anyone seen this on the PCs in UCD? I've been logging into one in James Joyce for the last few days and this 'Novell Message Popup' box comes up with messages. Today this is what was there:

WTF?!

The asteriks are numbers, and I'll leave them out because they seem to be student numbers. Maybe it's a virus? Or just a very strange new UCD messaging system? There is the option to reply to a range of other numbers. Will probably say it to someone in the library/I.T., but just wanted to see if anyone else is getting this.

Cheers!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's the Novell NetWare Popup message system alright, it's not a virus. It's actually for network software to be able to send remote messages to computers, but users can in theory use it too. They used to use it when the old print system was there to confirm the job went to the right printer. I thought they'd locked out the ability for a user to send anything with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yeah, thats what it appears to be. Exisits in most Windows systems as well. Like command line MSN :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

WinPopup I think it's called.

Advertisement