Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Cohen- Sligo - All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

what is the seating capacity ?

I have searched, and searched...for last hour..cant even get a pic of the venue inside!

Thanks.

RE: gig in sligo in lissadell house.

m.

OMG!

Its out door! 10,000 tickets sold in 6 mins! 1.1 million of tickets!! OMG!!
    I just got a ticket. MY GOD! saw this man on a friends DVD live concert..magic...

Anyone know what the story with parking, and how far of a walk is it ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Seen Leonard in Kilmainham two years ago... beautiful warm evening, atmosphere was very special .. crowd were kind of in awe.. bit like going to see the Pope !! I'd give it 10/10.

Our gang had two sets of seats, some up close (4th or 5th row) to the stage and others down the back. At the interval we swapped seats....it was the decent thing to do :)

Completely different vibe at the back from being in the front section. Front section people were completely silent and no talking.

Down the back people were walking around singing along and drinking, smoking, eating etc.

Think if you have choice of seats go for right at the front (awesome experience) or right at the back (cheap and cheerful and bring along your six-pack and your Woodbines) !!

Will be in America myself on the dates of the Lissadel concerts .. otherwise would probably go .. hard to see how he can keep touring much longer at his age. So go see him while you can.

Great that a big artist is comin west to play... only downsides I can see are

1). Irish Prices are off the richter scale, when compared to other countries (I don't begruge LC the money.. but as for promoters and Ticketb*stard.... Arggghhh)

2). The logistics of County Sligo might be tricky and/or Accomodation difficult to find/expensive. Hate to see it become another Barbara Streisand :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

1). Irish Prices are off the richter scale, when compared to other countries (I don't begruge LC the money.. but as for promoters and Ticketb*stard.... Arggghhh)

2). The logistics of County Sligo might be tricky and/or Accomodation difficult to find/expensive. Hate to see it become another Barbara Streisand :eek:

Len is worth every cent but yeah prices here are a disgrace. Heard it's something to do with public liability insurance costs here. However I think maybe we should all get into promotions as they must make a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

Hi all,

Just to clear up a few questions..

This concert is a 10000 all seater concert (outdoor on the lissadell estate) which is half way between bundoran and sligo ... about 5min drive off the N15 road.

Traffic restrictions will be in place... no news on that yet only that link buses to and from the venue will be in operation.

2nd night has been confirmed for sunday 1st of August

Most hotel accommodation has been provisionally block booked by all hotels, this is in relation to where the stage crew, management, etc are staying..

Hotels will make all extra rooms available once they recieve confirmation of these block booking's. (Hopefully this weekend)

Hotels which may have availabilty from next week are: in order of closet to Lissadell house first:

Raddisson blu Hotel 10 min
    Yeats Country 10 min
    Pier Head Hotel 10min
    Beach Hotel 10min
    Clarion Hotel 15min
    Sligo Southern Hotel 15 min
    Sligo Park Hotel 15 min

keep an eye on all hotel websites and most importantly facebook pages/groups...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pussycatdolls

how far is lissadel house from sligo town. will there be a one way system put in place to avoid traffic chaos. roll on july and lenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

Lissadell House is about 15min from Sligo town, I believe there will be link buses to and from the venue (possibly no access with cars?) probably off site parking.

Roads to Lissadell house are not national roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Nice to have discovered this thread... Got my tickets for the Saturday, and dang, I'm looking forward to it. Saw him last year in the O2, without doubt the best gig I have ever been to. The setting for this one could make it even more special. I'm in Block D which is to the left of the stage as I will be looking at it.

The accomodation factor seems to be a bit of a problem now. Rooms are like hens teeth. I am willing to go through some hardship in searching, plus the 4 hour drive because I know he will deliver the goods again and make it worth it. Lets just hope for nice weather. If the sun shines we could be talking about one of the most memorable days of our lives!! ;)

Nice to have discovered this thread... Got my tickets for the Saturday, and dang, I'm looking forward to it. Saw him last year in the O2, without doubt the best gig I have ever been to. The setting for this one could make it even more special. I'm in Block D which is to the left of the stage as I will be looking at it.

The accomodation factor seems to be a bit of a problem now. Rooms are like hens teeth. I am willing to go through some hardship in searching, plus the 4 hour drive because I know he will deliver the goods again and make it worth it. Lets just hope for nice weather. If the sun shines we could be talking about one of the most memorable days of our lives!! ;)

Yes hopefully the weather will behave itself! In regards accommodation go to http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21656 where you will see plenty of possibilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 scarpetta65

Looking forward to the concert! Hope all goes well - the road down to Lissadell will not be able to cope with the 10000 crowd each night so there will need to be some serious planning!
    Leitrim or Donegal are other possibilities for accommodation - neither are too far from the venue.

Looking forward to the concert! Hope all goes well - the road down to Lissadell will not be able to cope with the 10000 crowd each night so there will need to be some serious planning!
    Leitrim or Donegal are other possibilities for accommodation - neither are too far from the venue.

That is why the organisers decided to put Westlife on the Friday night so any unforeseeable problems can be sorted before Leonards gigs :D

• Advertisement

Now, who's in charge of the weather.......?

Now, who's in charge of the weather.......?

Not going to even contemplate what the weather might be like but surely we deserve a decent summer after the big freeze so I'm gonna remain optimistic.

musicmania wrote: »
    Not going to even contemplate what the weather might be like but surely we deserve a decent summer after the big freeze so I'm gonna remain optimistic.

I'm all for optimism!!

Mind you, I got rained on at Leonard's concerts in Kilmainham and Edinburgh so seeing him in sunshine will be a new experience!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I didn't realise that Westsh*te were playing on the previous night. Good news for us, they'll have tweaked and issues regarding logistics..

I got accomodation, self catering apartments attached to the Clarion Hotel.. Least I presume they are attached cos its called Clarion Village.. Anyone know anything about it in terms of location to Lisadell..

I didn't realise that Westsh*te were playing on the previous night. Good news for us, they'll have tweaked and issues regarding logistics..

I got accomodation, self catering apartments attached to the Clarion Hotel.. Least I presume they are attached cos its called Clarion Village.. Anyone know anything about it in terms of location to Lisadell..

The Clarion Hotel / Village is on the outskirts (Donegal side) of Sligo and about 15 mins from Lisadell. I don't think there will be traffic allowed on the Lisadell road (not a national road) but hopefully there will be some form of transfer......

The Clarion Hotel / Village is on the outskirts (Donegal side) of Sligo and about 15 mins from Lisadell. I don't think there will be traffic allowed on the Lisadell road (not a national road) but hopefully there will be some form of transfer......

There is a team of people working on the logistics. We are staying directly across from Lissadell House and arriving the Friday afternoon so I'm hoping Westlife fans don't cause problems for us. I'm hoping to check in and then leg it back to Sligo Town as I don't fancy listening to them for the evening!

Extra tickets have been released for Leonards gigs and there is a revised seating plan with 13 extra flat seating rows and 2 small blocks either side of the flat seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Anybody know why this gig is scheduled to start at 4pm on Ticketmaster?

Is there going to be a few support bands,
    Is Leonard gonna do a marathon show,
    or is it quit simply an evening show,

Any idea?

Anybody know why this gig is scheduled to start at 4pm on Ticketmaster?

Is there going to be a few support bands,
    Is Leonard gonna do a marathon show,
    or is it quit simply an evening show,

Any idea?

It is gates open at 4pm. No support and Leonard is expected on stage at 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

I was hoping to drive to Sligo for the concert on the day, and stay with friends who live about 15 miles outside Sligo, for the night.
    But I cannot get any solid information about parking, shuttle buses or transport to the venue. Rumours that the road to Lissadell will be closed and concert-goers will take buses, but I don't know if this is true...
    How will we access the grounds?
    People staying in well-known hotels will probably have coaches for pick up. But not everyone will be staying in these hotels
    As one poster mentioned, we don't want a Barbara Streisand experience with rain and chaos....not that anyone can plan for the rain.
    But with tickets at that price, we need a little advance information..

• Advertisement

I was hoping to drive to Sligo for the concert on the day, and stay with friends who live about 15 miles outside Sligo, for the night.
    But I cannot get any solid information about parking, shuttle buses or transport to the venue. Rumours that the road to Lissadell will be closed and concert-goers will take buses, but I don't know if this is true...
    How will we access the grounds?
    People staying in well-known hotels will probably have coaches for pick up. But not everyone will be staying in these hotels
    As one poster mentioned, we don't want a Barbara Streisand experience with rain and chaos....not that anyone can plan for the rain.
    But with tickets at that price, we need a little advance information..

There will be parking for those driving to the gig though they are asking where possible that people park in Sligo and get a bus to Lissadell. All details can be found on the Leonard Cohen forum under the topic Sligo help for Newbies. http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21735&start=420

There is a concert on the Friday night to deal with any issues which might occur..... some band called Westlife :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Does anybody know if we will be able to bring in alcohol and food into the venue. We were thinking of arriving early (weather permitting) and was hoping to bring a picnic. I've googled and checked the fanclub forum, but can't find anything.

It wouldn't be much alcohol, just a couple of miniture wine bottles and a some finger food:D ..... it would make the wait so much better.

I know there is food on-site, but in Kilmainham we ended up queue for nearly an hour to get food and a drink which wasn't fun. Don't want a repeat!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 onz

Hi

i rang tourist office in Sligo and they said there will be regular shuttle buses from all parts of Sligo.. my problem is i have now accommodation (or somewhere to throw my bag) im flying in and out early the following day.. if you have or know anyone with a spare bed ill pay of course!! p.s. im not a weirdo- just a music lover ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

onz wrote: »
    Hi

i rang tourist office in Sligo and they said there will be regular shuttle buses from all parts of Sligo.. my problem is i have now accommodation (or somewhere to throw my bag) im flying in and out early the following day.. if you have or know anyone with a spare bed ill pay of course!! p.s. im not a weirdo- just a music lover ;-)

I can't find it now, but on the leonard cohen forum I think they gave a website /address for accommodation. I think the idea is that they have a database of locals willing to let out a room and they put you in touch with them.

I might have this slightly wrong however, I have accommodation so wasn't paying too much attention to the post. Its worth a shot though....

Else try the discover sligo website, I think they may be co-ordinating those type of things.

I CAN'T WAIT TILL SATURDAY!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 onz

Dinkie wrote: »
    I can't find it now, but on the leonard cohen forum I think they gave a website /address for accommodation. I think the idea is that they have a database of locals willing to let out a room and they put you in touch with them.

I might have this slightly wrong however, I have accommodation so wasn't paying too much attention to the post. Its worth a shot though....

Else try the discover sligo website, I think they may be co-ordinating those type of things.

I CAN'T WAIT TILL SATURDAY!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Thanks Dinkie ill give it a go!! if all else fails ill "accidentally" break my leg and spend the night in a warm hospital..:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Anyone intending to bring a baby? Have our little one who unfortunately is suffering from severe separation anxiety at the moment without us. As she is very portable we intended to bring her with us. The intention would be stick on her little ear muffs, and be sensitive to other gig goers. At a hint or a whimper we woud've been on walk about duty or leave if shes unhappy. She tends to be happy as Larry walking around in ones arms anyway. However, now we heard from an event organiser that babies " very unsuitable".......

How can babies be suitable at the Electric Picnic etc and not at a Leonard Cohen concert? :confused:
    Sometimes with the best will in the world people cant compartmentalise their lives. We have been trying to train her in since we got the tickets but no joy. :(
    Do you think we'l actually be refused entry or they just would "prefer" a child free gig but cant enforce it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tuppence wrote: »
    Anyone intending to bring a baby? Have our little one who unfortunately is suffering from severe separation anxiety at the moment without us. As she is very portable we intended to bring her with us. The intention would be stick on her little ear muffs, and be sensitive to other gig goers. At a hint or a whimper we woud've been on walk about duty or leave if shes unhappy. She tends to be happy as Larry walking around in ones arms anyway. However, now we heard from an event organiser that babies " very unsuitable".......

How can babies be suitable at the Electric Picnic etc and not at a Leonard Cohen concert? :confused:
    Sometimes with the best will in the world people cant compartmentalise their lives. We have been trying to train her in since we got the tickets but no joy. :(
    Do you think we'l actually be refused entry or they just would "prefer" a child free gig but cant enforce it?

The difference between EP and a Leonard Cohen gig is astronomical. At EP if the child gets upset, you can bring her back to your tent/ away from the crowd/music and give them time to settle. At LC this won't really be an option, if the gig is fully seated you would be putting out everyone you had to walk past and if it was me i'd be pissed. I don't mind young children at EP i can actually see why you would bring a child to it. But for the majority of other concerts I think it's unfair. Unfair on the child and unfair on the other concert goers.

My advice, get a babysitter or failing that one of ye go and the other stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

lordgoat wrote: »
    The difference between EP and a Leonard Cohen gig is astronomical. At EP if the child gets upset, you can bring her back to your tent/ away from the crowd/music and give them time to settle. At LC this won't really be an option, if the gig is fully seated you would be putting out everyone you had to walk past and if it was me i'd be pissed. I don't mind young children at EP i can actually see why you would bring a child to it. But for the majority of other concerts I think it's unfair. Unfair on the child and unfair on the other concert goers.

My advice, get a babysitter or failing that one of ye go and the other stay.

Yep as I said we cant always compartmentalise our lives neatly. :(

We were hoping for the babysitting option but has severely fallen through. One of us not going should'nt be an option either just to satisfy other music lovers. I know unfortunately that Ireland isnt the most family friendly when it comes to babies and kids, but I reckon with anything its about tolerance and sensitivity all round. I dont tend to get "pissed' if someone who needs to go to the bathroom alot has to get up and down during a gig or indeed someone who has to get a drink or whatever. The difference is we are aware and would be sensitive to other peoples needs and flexible. We were also hoping to have the option of taking in turns to babysit as have campervan outside the gig, but they also say dont come in and out.....:(

Ok first things first you will not have the option of going in and out as the car parks will be some distance from the venue and it just wouldn't be feasible for anyone to go in and out.
    Second this concert is fully seated so should your baby get upset which is highly likely as babies do get upset I don't think walking around is an option either especially if you seats are on the tiers. If your baby is as sensitive as you say there is a strong possibility she won't like the crowds or the loud music so is probably more likely to get upset! The atmosphere at a LC gig is on the most part very mellow so if your child starts playing up God help you as I know some fans who would be fit to kill if their LC experience is upset in anyway! You have been warned :eek: I think your best option since you have a camper van is one go Saturday and one go Sunday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tuppence wrote: »
    Yep as I said we cant always compartmentalise our lives neatly. :(

We were hoping for the babysitting option but has severely fallen through. One of us not going should'nt be an option either just to satisfy other music lovers. I know unfortunately that Ireland isnt the most family friendly when it comes to babies and kids, but I reckon with anything its about tolerance and sensitivity all round. I dont tend to get "pissed' if someone who needs to go to the bathroom alot has to get up and down during a gig or indeed someone who has to get a drink or whatever. The difference is we are aware and would be sensitive to other peoples needs and flexible. We were also hoping to have the option of taking in turns to babysit as have campervan outside the gig, but they also say dont come in and out.....:(

Why do you feel that your child is more important that the 1000's of other people going to the concert. To compare it to someone going to the bathroom alot is a bit ridiculous. You are knowingly bringing a child to a situation that you previously know will be distressing for it. You are choosing to put it in this situation and are looking for some sort of get out. I find it ironic in the extreme that you claim to be sensitive to other peoples needs and flexible when this would entail a) getting a babysitter or b) one parent not going but no to me it seems you want the moon on a stick. I'm pretty certain if you put up an ad in a local paper/radio for a babysitter and offered a decent paycheck you would get a sitter fairly easily.

Advertisement