Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Cohen- Sligo - All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

lordgoat wrote: »
    Why do you feel that your child is more important that the 1000's of other people going to the concert. To compare it to someone going to the bathroom alot is a bit ridiculous. You are knowingly bringing a child to a situation that you previously know will be distressing for it. You are choosing to put it in this situation and are looking for some sort of get out. I find it ironic in the extreme that you claim to be sensitive to other peoples needs and flexible when this would entail a) getting a babysitter or b) one parent not going but no to me it seems you want the moon on a stick. I'm pretty certain if you put up an ad in a local paper/radio for a babysitter and offered a decent paycheck you would get a sitter fairly easily.

Where does the OP say that the child is more important than other concert goers? Leonard Cohen fans are a pretty nice bunch id say and maybe the majority wont be "pissed" at the awful inconvienence of having to stand up for a split second to let a person out. I dont find it ironic at all the the poster is trying to be sensitive to other people (they mention staying in a camper van with baby, will walk around with baby and not stay in their seat if the child is restless, they are looking for some help/advice and ways to work around the situation so as not to miss what is sure to be a wonderful gig)

The bathroom analogy is not ridiculous, there will be no doubt people getting up throughout the gig for various reasons. Why is it any more ridiculous for someone to get up with a child than for someone to go to the bathroom or get a drink or something?

Its all very easy for people to say just get a baby sitter or someone stay at home etc but personal circumstances of the individual are not known. The promoters are making it difficult/uncomfortable for kids to go. Would it have been so hard to reserve a small section for families? The op also said they would stay in a camper van and take turns at babysitting but again the promoter wont allow re-entry once you leave. These are only small things but would make a huge difference to people with kids.

Anyway leaving aside the debate about kids at gigs etc what i think the OP was asking is can the organisers legally refuse them entry as they have a young child with them or is it just stongly suggested they dont come? (for fear of a riot of angry Leonard Cohen fans:p)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

lordgoat wrote: »
    Why do you feel that your child is more important that the 1000's of other people going to the concert. To compare it to someone going to the bathroom alot is a bit ridiculous. You are knowingly bringing a child to a situation that you previously know will be distressing for it. You are choosing to put it in this situation and are looking for some sort of get out. I find it ironic in the extreme that you claim to be sensitive to other peoples needs and flexible when this would entail a) getting a babysitter or b) one parent not going but no to me it seems you want the moon on a stick. I'm pretty certain if you put up an ad in a local paper/radio for a babysitter and offered a decent paycheck you would get a sitter fairly easily.

I didnt say that our child is more important. And you are presuming that the 1000's of other Leonard Cohen fans will be "pissed" with us for bringing her, which I think you'l find is a bit of an unfair stereotype. And where did I suggest that the concert would be distressing for her? Its distressing for her to be separated at the moment. She is breastfed and she would at most times be easy to relax. Perhaps you are going to presume that the 1000's of Leonard vans may be pissed at that, or maybe just you if I were beside you!!:rolleyes::p

Of course if baby wanted out, we'd head immediately.

As I said the babysitting option has been explored. A trial run done on it before whereupon we were called out in the middle of a Jack L concert. I have no problem paying for one!! Flexibility is looking at every option in a situation.
    The final option of course being that one of us (but it will more likely be me cos of the breasfeeding :rolleyes:) backs out.
    And since Ive seen Leonard in the stadium years ago and at Kilmainham and was one of the first to get the tickets, I really wanted to explore every option to try and go while a) being sensitive to our baby and b)being sensitive not to annoy other concert goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

tuppence wrote: »
    I didnt say that our child is more important. And you are presuming that the 1000's of other Leonard Cohen fans will be "pissed" with us for bringing her, which I think you'l find is a bit of an unfair stereotype. And where did I suggest that the concert would be distressing for her? Its distressing for her to be separated at the moment. She is breastfeed and she would at most times be easy to relax. Perhaps you are going to presume that the 1000's of Leonard vans may be pissed at that, or maybe just you if I were beside you!!:rolleyes::p

Of course if baby wanted out, we'd head immediately.

As I said the babysitting option has been explored. A trial run done on it before whereupon we were called out in the middle of a Jack L concert. I have no problem paying for one!! Flexibility is looking at every option in a situation.
    The final option of course being that one of us but (it will more likely be me cos of the breasfeeding :rolleyes:) backs out.
    And since Ive seen Leonard in the stadium years ago and at Kilmainham and was one of the first to get the tickets, I really wanted to explore every option to try and go while a) being sensitive to our baby and b)being sensitive not to annoy other concert goers.

I think your posts are very reasonable and some of the comments narrow minded.

As one of the previous poster said, the question is can you enter with your baby. I also think there is an issue here to do with breast feeding. Our four month old baby is been breast fed and we have tickets for the concert. The venue and the organisers have not returned any calls or emails from us which asks the above question.

Our baby would have no problem at the concert, once he is held and fed a war could take place around him and he wouldn't raise an eye. The boy is very quite. If he were a child prone to making noise and crying I would not entertain the thought of bringing him.

At this stage we are just going to appear with baby and see what happens. Let us know if you make any progress with queries on your end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I think your posts are very reasonable and some of the comments narrow minded.

As one of the previous poster said, the question is can you enter with your baby. I also think there is an issue here to do with breast feeding. Our four month old baby is been breast fed and we have tickets for the concert. The venue and the organisers have not returned any calls or emails from us which asks the above question.

Our baby would have no problem at the concert, once he is held and fed a war could take place around him and he wouldn't raise an eye. The boy is very quite. If he were a child prone to making noise and crying I would not entertain the thought of bringing him.

At this stage we are just going to appear with baby and see what happens. Let us know if you make any progress with queries on your end.

Thanks a mill, will do. Stlll havent any further response or clarification from them after contacting them by email and leaving phone message. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm considering driving down and back from Dublin in the same day, anyone any idea of long it will take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I'm considering driving down and back from Dublin in the same day, anyone any idea of long it will take?

3-4 hours each way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

2.45 hrs, then add traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

tonight around 6.30pm the cars were backed up at hughes bridge in sligo. so i'd say add at least another hour to that

Traffic is still backed up about 5 miles before turn off for lissadell at 8.30pm.
    If I were travelling to Sligo, i would intend been in Sligo by 3pm. The shuttle buses are also having to crawl through this all evening. If driving straight to the venue I think you would want to be leaving Sligo Town before 4pm at latest.

We passed through Sligo coming from the N4 with relative ease at 4pm yesterday and didn't take that long to get to Lissadell as we are staying beside the venue. We went to meet friends in Drumcliffe at 7pm and we noticed traffic was heavy but moving. I'm not sure on which way cars are getting in as the road leading to Carney is buses and local access only. We have a residents pass which is so handy! We walked down to the beach at Lissadell with a few cans last night and walked a bit of the grounds. It looks fab! Can't wait for tonight!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I heard people were still waiting for buses at 1am last night. Hopefully tonight will be more organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rainbouw

anyone have any idea if all roads around lisadell are closed??
    im coming from donegal are am looking to go back after the gig.. so dont really want to shuttle bus or park miles away
    Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I drove last night and i think Westlife finished at 10.55, I was back in ballymote with kids in bed by 11.50. I was speaking to people who were still getting out of the car park at that stage mind you. But we were leaving the stands as they were finishing the encore so beat the rush. I was in the red car park apparently a lot closer to the stage with a different entrance to the venue (less then 5min walk) another friend home from same car park at 11.30. Car parks were massive and one not even used.

THe entrance to the car park from Sligo side is about 1KM past Henrys Restaurant (Nearly in Grange) I think from the Donegal side they will send you in from Grange Village. Loads of Garda doing a good job.

As for the venue, it was some setup loads of food and Heiniken have two bars onsite, the bars to the left of the stage were very quiet with most people entering the grounds from the other side.
    Tip of the night for the ladys would be to use the mens toilets to the left of the stage, there are two other toilets with massive qs but there were more ladys in the mens than men with no qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

If you have a quick look at google maps you can turn into Sligo Town and head out the Enniskillen Road then take a backroad by Drumcliff, you will come out very close to the car parking entrance avoiding the tailback if any from sligo town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Washingt0n

Hey guys! I got a ticket for tomorrow night and I can't wait!

I'm coming from Ennis, Co. Clare and just wondering when I'd want to be leaving at considering traffic and everything...doors are open at 4 arn't they? When will he actually go on?

My first Leonard Cohen concert and I am psyched!!!

I would agree with bennyc on that route. I travelled it this evening and skipped about 5 miles of traffic. Here is a good route to avoid traffic. It takes about 3.5hrs from Ennis no traffic.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Washingt0n wrote: »
    Hey guys! I got a ticket for tomorrow night and I can't wait!

I'm coming from Ennis, Co. Clare and just wondering when I'd want to be leaving at considering traffic and everything...doors are open at 4 arn't they? When will he actually go on?
    He started at 8 sharp, and I mean on the button, this evening.

We had a leisurely day. We were parked in Sligo by 2, had lunch, sat by the river, drank coffee. We had a coach booked for 1740, but I don't think they were checking times too carefully. With heavy traffic all the way out the N15, it took maybe an hour for the coach to get there. We had some food, queued up for the toilets, and were seated by ten to eight - nicely timed. Pity about the people who were still (loudly) looking for their seats twenty minutes after the gig started.
    My first Leonard Cohen concert and I am psyched!!!
    Boy, are you in for a treat. :)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    He started at 8 sharp, and I mean on the button, this evening.

We had a leisurely day. We were parked in Sligo by 2, had lunch, sat by the river, drank coffee. We had a coach booked for 1740, but I don't think they were checking times too carefully. With heavy traffic all the way out the N15, it took maybe an hour for the coach to get there. We had some food, queued up for the toilets, and were seated by ten to eight - nicely timed. Pity about the people who were still (loudly) looking for their seats twenty minutes after the gig started. Boy, are you in for a treat. :)

BEST concert EVER and I've been to alot of gigs. Leonard is the most amazing human being. 76 in September and to play for that long! 8pm to 11.45pm with just a 20 min interval. Mere words can not describe how amazing this was! Even better than last year!!!!! I've just looked through my photos and have some great ones. I'm gonna get some shut eye now but I'll do my review in the morning and upload photos online and will post links here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Boy, are you in for a treat. :)

+1, you really really are. Tip: for the 2nd half, if you don't have great seats, just stand between blocks where everyone else will be. Great buzz, you're not obstructing anyone and a super view of the stage.

Thank you LEN!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Sitting here still buzzing from last night and wishing I was there tonight!

Simply the best concert I was ever at...unsurpassable!

Have a look at this from last - Singer sung solo by LC! (posted by IrishAl from the LC forum site);

www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW2dbjT9Vw

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

lotie wrote: »
    posted by IrishAl from the LC forum site)

more available here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW2dbjT9Vw

Best gig ever. The man has class. Energy too, just look at what he has planned for the next few months...

www.leonardcohen.com/tour.cgi

Here are the links to my photos and review. I thought I'd posted this yesterday so apologies for the delay.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=193214&id=708703400&l=e44808bfbc

http://gwenluvsmusic.blogspot.com/2010/08/leonard-cohen-lissadell-house-july-31st.html

Still on an almighty high. So much so all going well I'm going to go to the gig in Katowice in October. There are some amazing videos on youtube especially Alberts but I love this one of So Long Marianne. Even though the picture quality isn't great just listen to the passion in Leonards voice. Perfection personified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkhsNZBUMI&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

At Leonard Cohen on Saturday night...beautiful!!
    In the scond half he duetted with Sharon on a song that had French lyrics...can anyone tell me the name of the tune please. Loved it!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Partisan. One of my favourites.

"J'ai changé cent fois de nom... j'ai perdu femme et enfants... mais j'ai tant d'amis..."

(I think those are some of the lyrics, I've never looked them up.)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

Thats great......thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Was there Saturday, fantastic.. Of course I knew it would be but even after seeing him last year in Dublin your still not quite prepared for the effect his show has on you.. To my mind he's the best lyricist in the business. Extremely gracious too, an all round superstar!! Leonard Cohen, we salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

"J'ai changé cent fois de nom... j'ai perdu femme et enfants... mais j'ai tant d'amis..."

In almost four hours of perfection it isn't possible to pull out highlights. But if I had to The Partisan would be right up there..a brilliant version delivered by the whole band!
    Another highlight was Singer and hearing Lover Lover to rap it up was class!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

"J'ai la France entiere..... lovely song. One of the many perfect moments. My first Cohen gig. What an artist. The mist enveloping Ben Bulben as the old estate trees of Lissadell were lit up, and the house itself washed in light, now green, now crimson.....

But oh, the gangs of noisy, drunken revellers shouting, arguing, continually, and I mean continually going to the loo...asking everyone in the row to rise time after time, to let them out, then standing yelling at friends in other tiers, throwing up cans of beer, obscuring everything.....It was like a pub at closing time. You can hear the noise and chatter on some of the Youtube uploads...

We left before the end, got out in ten mins from the car park, no problem. But a friend we were supposed to meet in town did not make it home until 3 a.m. and described chaotic scenes in the car park.

Yet, strangely,it was one of the most amazing gigs I have ever been at. Totally brilliant.

Was there Saturday, fantastic.. Of course I knew it would be but even after seeing him last year in Dublin your still not quite prepared for the effect his show has on you.. To my mind he's the best lyricist in the business. Extremely gracious too, an all round superstar!! Leonard Cohen, we salute you.

Well said and I totally agree with every word. Have you seen this video. Everytime I watch this I get goosebumps all over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4U4lXgvorU

Even though I too was at a show in Dublin last year this concert was just simply mindblowing. Leonard is in a league of his own. I was that moved by the entire show I've booked a ticket for Katowice in October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Saturday was amazing. I thought the atmosphere got better when the daylight faded. The trees and the house were lit up and it was very magical. We were towards the back in block B, but the view and sound was still perfect. I think Lissadell will always be compared with Kilmainham (and K was still my fav) but it was worth the trek up there.

I did think that they all looked a little cold, and laughed when they all gradually started putting on scarves.

I loved that the set list was different to his other gigs over the past couple years... and the words to some of those songs are beautiful. I got a book of his poetry as a present recently, so I must dig it out again, and read over the words.

We were lucky, we caught a bus out, but managed to get a lift back to Sligo. Some of the others we were with were not so fortunate. If I ever go to another concert in Lissadell I will definately drive.

Advertisement