Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Megavan 2004

• 21-04-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a cheap to run diesel car/van. Saw a couple of these Megavans (2004) at about 4K. they are 1.5 DCI.

What would peoples opinions be. I need it for general tipping about, not carrying heavy loads or anything. More just for space to carry stuff, such as building materials for house, bike, golfclubs etc.

Any opinions welcomed:)

Comments

The 1.5 is a tasty little diesel, 2004 Megane though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Had 2 as work vans,Absolute piles of crap.Stick with Focus/Golf van.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

RoverJames wrote: »
    The 1.5 is a tasty little diesel, 2004 Megane though :eek:

Thanks for the replies. Can you elaborate on the 2004 megane? what else has the 1.5 diesel??

balcan wrote: »
    Had 2 as work vans,Absolute piles of crap.Stick with Focus/Golf van.

Yeah looking at a focus alright or what a bout a Citroen C4??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try and stick with the Focus if you can.

• Advertisement

Only other company using 1.5 Dci engine is Nissan,Wouldn't bother with them either.Citroen C4 nice little van with 1.6 HDi engine(Same as Focus Tdci engine but with different Turbo)Weird steering wheel in it but I liked it.Corolla has lovely little 1.4 d4d engine that quite nippy.Anyway engine size in a van makes no difference to tax or insurance so go for a 1.8/2.0 td for a bit of pep.Golf 1.9 tdi 130Bhp van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

At this stage I would say the following

All small Common Rail Diesels are a ticking time bomb once they get to 5-6 years old.

Do not touch a 6 year old Megane DCi, I frecently spent 3k replacing the fuel system in mine. Having done a lot of research and networking, I have learned about the inherent problems with ALL high pressure diesel fuel systems and the quality of Irish diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mechanics

just a quick one the 1.5 dci block is a good litle engine
    i have one the last 3 years as do many i know
    no real problems to mention

wouldnt be a fan of the tdci but would be of the 1.9tdi

a megane however is a whole different story!!!
    if youl like throwing piles of money into a raging fire buy one

True about being a fan of old school VW Tdi's.I've had these engines in one guise or another and have covered massive mileage with them without any problems.Plenty of poke and 55-60 mpg all day.Wife has Octavia Tdi with 150k on clock and it has never missed a beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

Had a megane, 2 words, STAY AWAY, biggest pile of junk i every owned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

i had one 2.always something wong with it

cuculainn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Can you elaborate on the 2004 megane? what else has the 1.5 diesel??
    mechanics wrote: »

a megane however is a whole different story!!!
    if youl like throwing piles of money into a raging fire buy one

I didn't want to say too much about the 2004 Megane as I have somewhat of a reputation on boards.ie for saying stuff about the Renaults that the Renault boys don't like. Lets say the Mechanics post I quoted sums the 04 Megane up quite well in my opinion. (not wanting to upset anyone but they are a total heap of shi*)

RoverJames wrote: »
    I didn't want to say too much about the 2004 Megane as I have somewhat of a reputation on boards.ie for saying stuff about the Renaults that the Renault boys don't like. Lets say the Mechanics post I quoted sums the 04 Megane up quite well in my opinion. (not wanting to upset anyone but they are a total heap of shi*)

Thanks for your replies......Its funny cause I always said that meganes were a pile of S*ite but I only had experience of the petrol models...but had heard a couple of good things about the diesels.

I didnt realise that the taxing/insuring a 1.5 or 1.9 would not cost different.

If thats the case then I would probably be better going for a TDi rather than a CDi....But I would still like to get the 60MPG

Find a minty 306 diesel, you'll get one for less than €4000 and if you're patient good ones do come up from time to time. Most good ones will be passenger ones though so it's high road tax time.

Advertisement