Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot or Cool Hatch new car suggestions

• 21-04-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

The time has come to take the plunge & I am set to get new car in next couple of months. Was looking at 08s but as I have car to scrap difference between new not seem too much.

My mileage is probably below average but it may not always be like that. Current mixture of urban with some longer trips down the country. Rear seat room now so important. I don't change cars often so I would expect to keep car for at least 5 years.

- Scirocco 1.4TSi - Had a small test drive & seemed solid. Can't justify the cost of the 2L petrol and diesel not worth it.
    - BMW 1 Series Coupe 118d Sport - Only driven a used 120d. Very quiet diesel. Could tell reasonable power behind the pedal but ride seemed harsh but did have sore back then. Don't think budget will stretch to 120d.
    - Volvo C30 - More comfortable hatch but had a look anyway. While boot not so important it so was so small really took from the car. That and end of scrappage deal means not make sense.

The Alfa Giulietta looks interesting...

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not as cool, but Kia Pro-Cee'd might fit the bill with the 7 year warranty and good scrappage deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup.
    or Renault Sport Megane 250.

They're the best hot hatches out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars which fall into Cat A & B Co2 bands only qualify for the Government Scrappage scheme so that would rule out most hot hatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

A3 sportback? Almost a hatchback, but nice bit of extra space. Absolute beauty to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

I have the 1.4 tsi seat leon (2008)

i find this a great car to drive and the 1.4 tsi gives you a nice bit of poke to match,

rear legroom is good havent had an issue yet and i am 6ft 2 and have had no issues with anyone sitting behind me

the boot is big so no problems there

worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

renault-megane-coupe-31-10-08.jpg

Turbo diesel, €104 to tax, looks great.

good choice ed, forgot about those..

and I presume you'd be able to look after the OP price wise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How many horsies in the Renault?

85 on the cheap ones, 105 on the more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Probably doesn't fit with what the OP wants, but I just took a Fiat Bravo 1.6 Multijet Eco Dynamic around the block and it's an absolute hoot. Has the sport pack on so looks pretty decent and it's probably the best handling hatch I've driven in a while.

105bhp engine, but wheel spin in 1st and during cornering in 2nd - fairly decent dash layout as well.

OK - I was test driving it to see if we could identify the noise the driver is complaining about (2009 model - 20,000km on the clock) so not sure about build quality, but great fun to throw around a few bends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    85 on the cheap ones, 105 on the more expensive.

Sounds like a cold hatch rather that hot/cool one to me

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

While there is a big difference in the prices I have thought about a few of those mentioned above.

Kia Pro ceed - I think it looks ok even if just like a Toyota Auris. However I thought the interior was very poor. If I was looking a couple of years ago would not even have noticed so I suppose they are improving.

Megane - Will probably test drive if just for comparison. Would probably look at the more expensive option but not sure if worth it then as would be 4k more than standard versions.

Audi A3 - Don't like the Sport back. If getting standard A3 might as well take the Scirocco as more or else same price.

Even if it doesn't always make total financial sense it hard to get away from the idea of paying low motor tax after all these years of high tax. Hot hatch might not be best description of what I am looking for as maybe something with bit of poke & maybe a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

McSpud wrote: »

The Alfa Giulietta looks interesting...

Yes indeed. 1.4 turbo petrol. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How come nobody mentioned the good old Octavia :D

1.8TSi Elegance:
    Could call it a "Hot Hatch"
    Performance: maximum speed (mph): 139, maximum speed (km/h): 223 and acceleration 0-62 mph (secs): 7.8
    Power: 118 kW , 160 HP EEC @ 4,500 rpm; , 250 Nm @ 1,500 rpm

@ around €24K :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd wait for the new Alfa. Be a bit different! Lovely car in the metal, nice engine choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'd probably go with the 1.4 Scirrocco or Leon.
    Should be somewhat economical and nippy enough to keep you entertained for a while.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    105bhp engine, but wheel spin in 1st and during cornering in 2nd - fairly decent dash layout as well.

OK - I was test driving it to see if we could identify the noise the driver is complaining about (2009 model - 20,000km on the clock) so not sure about build quality, but great fun to throw around a few bends.

I'm guessing you work for a garage... with that being said, the last thing us paranoid customers want to hear about is how fun our cars are for strangers to throw around a few bends... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Vertakill wrote: »
    I'm guessing you work for a garage... with that being said, the last thing us paranoid customers want to hear about is how fun our cars are for strangers to throw around a few bends... :)

Nah, I'd say it's a leasing company he works for at a guess, so its only company cars that he'd be thrashing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have an A3 2 door diesel 140 bhp 2 ltr and it is fab car to drive and fabulous looking too.

Am changing for a new Golf GTD - want to stick with diesel - have you considered GTi or GTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Vertakill wrote: »

When test driving to find an intermittent, unusual noise, you have to take the car through all types of driving to see where the issue occurs. Wasn't giving anything away at slow speed so had to take it to another level.

Gearbox mounting I reckon but we'll wait for a professional diag later today.

Advertisement