Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson wants Moyes to succeed him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Er, The Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think there are no quotes there, and it sounds made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Both great managers and a wonderful newspaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

regardless of their being no quotes, I would believe that Moyes is a front runner for the job.

Personal choice would be Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

haha agreed. However, i'd say he's definately on the shortlist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fergie approached him to become the Assistant Manager at United shortly before he moved from Preston to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He will definetly be considered thats for sure.

I can see Jose taking it though if hes approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I would hate to see José succeed Fergie. United have a tradition of entertaining football and that would all be sacrificed if Mourinho took over. He's a great coach but I hate the football he espouses.

gavredking wrote: »
    He will definetly be considered thats for sure.

I can see Jose taking it though if hes approached.

for me, it depends on what happens this summer.

If Jose is still at Inter for the start of next season, I think there is a very good chance of him being the next United manager.

My honest opinion is that the United job would be high up on his list of wants.

However, I could see the Liverpool and Real jobs being available this summer, and I reckon he would be tempted by both. While I think he would love to take over from Fergie, I also reckon he would be well up for 'knocking United of their ******* perch' with Liverpool.

So, for me, it depends on if Jose wants another year at Inter or not, cause I don't see Fergie leaving this summer. Jose said he regrets not getting a crack at the Super Cup and WCC when he left Porto, so if he wins the CL with Inter this season, he may want to stick around for the chance to add those two trophies to his CV before moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Moyes would be a good replacement for Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I would hate to see José succeed Fergie. United have a tradition of entertaining football and that would all be sacrificed if Mourinho took over. He's a great coach but I hate the football he espouses.

Moyes's brand of football isn't much better than Mourinho's.

United have become far less exciting and attacking over the last few seasons.

Also, as I said in the United thread this morning, the stability of the club is far more important that the way the side play football. Jose is the best man for keeping United stable and making his own mark following the departure of Fergie. I would worry about most other managers taking over from Fergie, and not being able to deal with the pressure of that (as has happened at United in the past with Busby, and Liverpool in the past when replacing their legendary managers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mourinho's style of football is as entertaining as United's to be honest. I think you're overstating how entertaining United are because sometimes (just like Mourinho's teams) they're awful to watch!

Trophies > Attractive football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

jasonorr wrote: »
    sometimes (just like Mourinho's teams) they're awful to watch!
    Plus Inter have stepped it up a bit this year (sometimes). There's certainly a bit more variety to them, from what I've seen, than Chelsea had under Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

But they're not mutually exclusive.

But they're not mutually exclusive.

+1

That is true, it all depends on the manger and players at his disposal and how he coaches the squad and style of play he wants them to adopt. Wenger, Ferguson, Guardiola all favour an attractive approach of football, always looking to out gun the oppostion, and they have won countless trophies doing this but on the other end of the scale you have Mourhino, Ancelotti, Van Gaal who approach the game with a more cautious attitude and they have enjoyed success to.

As long as who ever comes in and replaces Fergie wins trophies I don't care about the style of play.

Id rather that then be like Arsenal who play nice football week in and week out but haven't won a trophy for the last 5 years.

As long as who ever comes in and replaces Fergie wins trophies I don't care about the style of play.

Id rather that then be like Arsenal who play nice football week in and week out but haven't won a trophy for the last 5 years.

We'd love to be winning trophies too but, I think it was a necessary evil with the move to the new stadium and the short term loan over our heads that was taken out for the Highbury flats. We've done reasonably well for a team that hasn't spent any money in that period!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Well, I was almost unable to watch a Chelsea match when Mourinho was in charge due to the playing style. I don't want that for the club I support no matter if it means a few barren years while we develop a strong team again.

I disagree with those that say that United aren't entertaining. I rarely find it boring to watch them and enjoy how they are one of the few teams in the premiership who employ their wings succesfully. However, I think we have too many average players at the moment to really set the world alight at present.

I like the idea of Moyes. He is in the Fergie mould regarding his tough uncompromising management style. He has a great eye for players and a few bargains too. A big concern for me would be whether himself and ROoney could put aside their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The story is clearly made up.

I think that Moyesy would need to win some trophies before even being considered as a good enough replacement. I don't think he would do well at a club where success is demanded pretty much every season if you want to keep your job, he's not a "consistent" manager.

He's also said he wants to build a legacy at Everton, he will not want to take charge of someone else's legacy, he won't be remembered for that.

Ye have balanced the books quite well through selling a handful of high profile players but Arsenal have still spent a **** load of cash on players in the past 5 years, i.e. close to million.

Don't get me wrong like as I know net spend is the important figure but ye have spent the net spend figure is identical to that of Man United, i.e. pl million.

If Arsene was just there 6 or 7 years then you could use the excuse that he was building a new team from scratch or that he had to get rid of the dead wood but he has been there for an eternity at this stage.

I'm talkin about net spend, as you well know. I think there's a £28m difference (net spend) between us and United since our last trophy and if you exclude this years transfers, that becomes £64m so, I think there's a significant difference there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's been well known for years that Fergie thinks of Moyes as a successor. Personally, I think that the board, in particular our current owners, will probably go for Mourinho if he is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Boycott the S*n. They are bunch of lying c****s of a ****rag paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Moyes is an excellent manager, but in the world of modern football, i don't think he's going to get the job, unless Ferguson thinks excruciatingly highly of him. he hasn't quite got the proven track record yet.

he needs to win trophies before he's considered, and, as someone said, he seems hell-bent on creating a legacy at Everton.

his European pedigree has been fairly meh on top of this.

Mourinho is the clear front runner, depending on when the job becomes available and what Mourinho is doing at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

PHB wrote: »
    It's been well known for years that Fergie thinks of Moyes as a successor. Personally, I think that the board, in particular our current owners, will probably go for Mourinho if he is available.

Ferguson will be guaranteed a very high position within United. He will be part of the candidate selection. The Glazers know **** all about appointing managers. Mourinho is obviously number 1 on most peoples list, but United have always focused on youngsters with some big signings.

Can Mourinho build a squad? Inter were already full of brilliant players, Chelsea, lot of money plus Ranieris squad. José will want a lot of cash to spend. How long should we give the new manager? The pressure will be immense for them to win. Every bad result it will BRING BACK FERGIE!

Wenger would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

IvySlayer wrote: »

Can Mourinho build a squad? Inter were already full of brilliant players, Chelsea, lot of money plus Ranieris squad.

Mourinho has one particularly brilliant quality, and it's by far his most important one. he knows how to get the absolute best out of his players, and he does this by giving them an unshakeable winning mentality.

we can talk about styles of football, or tactics all we like, the fact is Mourinho;

1) is self-confident enough to not be over-awed by the job.

2) is capable of walking into the Old Trafford job, and the winning mentality that Ferguson has built at Utd will not be affected; in fact, strengthened if anything.

the only thing Utd fans have to decide about Mourinho is if you like his style of football, which personally;

1) i couldn't give much of a f*ck about most of the time if it's working, and;

2) isn't as unattractive as the media, and purists, would like us to believe it is.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can Mourinho build a squad? Inter were already full of brilliant players,
    It's not like United aren't in fairness. Some might be getting on but there's still a good core of excellent players in the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Fletcher and Rooney. Some promising youngsters coming through too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Moyes is not near good enough to manage United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Moyes is not near good enough to manage United.

you called him by his real name Al, you're losing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

lol they dont even have a quote..My god its not even funny how much of a embarrassment that paper is

Moyes for united ? No chance.

What has he won?
    Has he managed a big successful club?

He's a very good manager but has no experience of managing a top team so I'd be very suprised if he got it.

Just noticed what rag this came from. Nuff said.

Mourinhio would slot in perfectly at united tbh but I can see him possibly going to Madrid this summer. That's if he wants to leave Inter.

Des wrote: »
    you called him by his real name Al, you're losing it

Apologies.

Dignity Dave is not near good enough to manage United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Apologies.

Dignity Dave is not near good enough to manage United.

FFS would you have a bit of respect and just call him by his real ****ing name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Moyes for united ? No chance.

What has he won?
    Has he managed a big successful club?

He's a very good manager but has no experience of managing a top team so I'd be very suprised if he got it.

Just noticed what rag this came from. Nuff said.

Mourinhio would slot in perfectly at united tbh but I can see him possibly going to Madrid this summer. That's if he wants to leave Inter.

Has to start somewhere..Look how well he has done with a injury filled tiny squad and no resources..Now give him a world class team and (prob very little :P) money and watch him get the best of the utd players as he has done with the Everton lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sun or not, Moyes has always been my choice of candidate to succeed Ferguson. He has assembled a very solid Everton squad over a number of years as well as bringing some exciting youth players through. The players really play for him and there seems a strong bond of unity and loyalty there.
    With the additional resources and quality of player at Utd he could do very well. Doesn't strike me as the sort to get phased easily either so I wouldn't fear for him handling the step up.
    If he could bring Rodwell with him that would be extra sweet.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Mourinho has one particularly brilliant quality, and it's by far his most important one. he knows how to get the absolute best out of his players, and he does this by giving them an unshakeable winning mentality.

Ferguson is better in my opinion at doing that!
    It's not like United aren't in fairness. Some might be getting on but there's still a good core of excellent players in the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Fletcher and Rooney. Some promising youngsters coming through too.

No doubt, but we will need replacements within the next few years. Giggs, Scholes, Neville will not hang around once Ferguson is gone imo. I hope we have a good transfer kitty to accomodate Mourinho.

Ferguson is better in my opinion at doing that!

so?

you realise what this thread is about?:confused:

so?

you realise what this thread is about?:confused:

Yeah, don't know why I pointed that out all of a sudden :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I personally believe Moyes would be a great candidate.
    1. He's managed pretty well in the Premierleague on relatively low transfer funds.
    2. He has brought in some excellent talent into the Everton side and currently has a decent mix if not a little aged.
    3. His teams seem to be passionate and he appears to be a good motivator.
    4. Whatever youth system he has set up there appears to be bearing fruit. Transfer that to OT......to shake it up a bit.
    5. He shares a lot of similarities with Fergie when Fergie first got the United job.

Mourinho obviously has a better track record in the PL, but he's had better funding. I dont think he would bring that stability to United, probably hankering for another job whenever it suited him. I dont think style of football is that relevent if its the winning style. Do you want to get like Real Madrid, firing winning managers because it wasnt attractive?

Ultimately I think a key part of the next manager will be what Fergies role will be. I dont think the pressure would be that good for the manager should Fergie be up in the boardroom.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ferguson will be guaranteed a very high position within United. He will be part of the candidate selection. The Glazers know **** all about appointing managers. Mourinho is obviously number 1 on most peoples list, but United have always focused on youngsters with some big signings.

Can Mourinho build a squad? Inter were already full of brilliant players, Chelsea, lot of money plus Ranieris squad. José will want a lot of cash to spend. How long should we give the new manager? The pressure will be immense for them to win. Every bad result it will BRING BACK FERGIE!

Wenger would be perfect.

Mourinho has said on the record if I'm not mistaken that he wants his next job to be a building job, building a dynasty.

kippy wrote: »
    5. He shares a lot of similarities with Fergie when Fergie first got the United job.

He's Scottish.

Is that the extent of it?

Fergie had won the league in Scotland, and won European silverware.

Moyes has never won a trophy & gets regularly embarrased when Everton are in Europe.

He's Scottish.

Is that the extent of it?

Fergie had won the league in Scotland, and won European silverware.

Moyes has never won a trophy & gets regularly embarrased when Everton are in Europe.

That, age, temperament,man management style etc.
    Its really NOT all about trophies when you are managing the poorer club on the Mersey.
    You dont have to get the headline grapper of a manager every time to get the best manager. Aka Wengers appointment to arsenal amoung others.

With the cliff Utd are dangling over financially, the last thing they need is a gamble.

Temperment? Don't really see the resemblence tbh.

Not sure I do with man management style either.

Mourinho is the man for Utd imo-he's as close to a sure thing as you can get. Although it should be noted, its looking like Ranieris Roma side is gonna beat the "special" one in the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »
    Mourinho has said on the record if I'm not mistaken that he wants his next job to be a building job, building a dynasty.

He'd look good in a hard hat alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As I crumpled to the floor when Porto scored their last minute goal against United, my brother saw Jose darting down the touchline and said "there's the man to take over when Fergie goes". I have seen little since that night to disagree with that Nostradamus moment. Everything about him screams winner and that is what United need.

Moyes is a risk. You don't know how he would cope with having to win leagues. , Mourinho is a proven champion. Everywhere he has been, he has improved. Even União de Leiria came 5th in the league with him in Portugal (Yes I can see the obvious Moyes comparison there).

If he had United playing like Inter last night or Chelsea in the Duff/Robben days, nobody could complain about style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hmmm Arsenal play great football not won a thing in 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

hmmm Arsenal play great football not won a thing in 5 years

Isn't that what he said?!

Hmmm. I am really not getting the Mourinho love in to be honest. Think its a bigger gamble than someone like Moyes, who's managed to stay 8 odd years at one club with limited budget (which is where United are going)
    Mourinho has had massive funds at both Chelsea and Inter. He's not been long enough at any club to see what effects he has on the youth system and or scouting network and in my opinion left Chelsea with a very poor youth setup, I know he was probably technically sacked but it wasnt going places. Fair play he managed a CL at a relatively poor Porto side, but hey, even Rafas managed to win a champions league with a relatively poor side.
    United are heading for a pretty lean time financially and will be city at the very least and potentially Arsenal and Spurs sides who dont have the same debt as they have. They need a manager who makes the most of little resources and whose management team have a track record with youth development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement