Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden decking ....??

• 21-04-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Anyone have idea how expensive to get decking done or am i better to give it ago myself . Im doing a area roughly 11ft sqaure relativly flat area ,no fancy wood just basic, anyone know how much materials would cost roughly for that area and how much it may cost to get done .? if too expensive i may give it a go myself , i can get help from friend who has done it before... would prefer proffesional ,but funds will be at limit so it depends...????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

jo06555 wrote: »
    Anyone have idea how expensive to get decking done or am i better to give it ago myself . Im doing a area roughly 11ft sqaure relativly flat area ,no fancy wood just basic, anyone know how much materials would cost roughly for that area and how much it may cost to get done .? if too expensive i may give it a go myself , i can get help from friend who has done it before... would prefer proffesional ,but funds will be at limit so it depends...????

hi Joe,

Actually planning the same thing myself in the girlfriends house at the mo, roughly the same size decking too. I'm going to do it myself though. Priced some decking from Heiton Buckley just yesterday: For an area 10ft x 12 ft (20 x 12ft lengths) of red deal decking including 8 x (12ft x 2in x 4in) boards for the framework, came to €165 inc VAT.

Red deal is a softwood I think so not sure about the durability, I'm planning on checking out some hardwood options too to see the price difference. Although at €165 if you got 5 years I think that would be pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I know very little about decking or any DIY work for that matter but I did grow up in a house where everyone else worked with timber and remember this much ....
    red deal is a very soft timber that will dent very easily, probably last a few years and will not be even remotely as good as hardwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

rayc wrote: »
    hi Joe,

Actually planning the same thing myself in the girlfriends house at the mo, roughly the same size decking too. I'm going to do it myself though. Priced some decking from Heiton Buckley just yesterday: For an area 10ft x 12 ft (20 x 12ft lengths) of red deal decking including 8 x (12ft x 2in x 4in) boards for the framework, came to €165 inc VAT.

Red deal is a softwood I think so not sure about the durability, I'm planning on checking out some hardwood options too to see the price difference. Although at €165 if you got 5 years I think that would be pretty good.

Thats a reasonable price and for the hardwood it may not rise too much in price would it ? thanks for that it gives me a rough idea of prices, im waiting on a friend to get back to me with a price a fella would do it for too , but if not i may just do it myself too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Our deck is 33' x 14' with railings and my husband (carpenter) did our one a few years ago. He got pressure treated wood that is thicker than what's on offer in a lot of places. He got the wood in Pierce Timber out past Ballygunner.

Anyone else any examples of prices or labour prices , i done a proper check on area i need covered its the exact same as rayc :) 10ft x 12 ft , im trying to look up google for prices most of them in uk though , i might give heitons a buzz its probably best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

just a thought ... if there are two people here thinking about getting decks done at the same time and they are both thinking of roughly the same size then it may be worth pooling resources and maybe saving a few quid by buying together. Mayhap a local hardware provider might do a deal, even better if you both went for the same decking?

old gregg wrote: »
    just a thought ... if there are two people here thinking about getting decks done at the same time and they are both thinking of roughly the same size then it may be worth pooling resources and maybe saving a few quid by buying together. Mayhap a local hardware provider might do a deal, even better if you both went for the same decking?

Ye it prob would be , only thing is mine may not be got for another 2 or 3 weeks i just wanting to put prices on it first and pick out materials , i will call Heiton Buckleys myself tommorrow and see what price they give me , il quote the red deal decking first and maybe hardwood to see difference`s.

Ye it prob would be , only thing is mine may not be got for another 2 or 3 weeks i just wanting to put prices on it first and pick out materials , i will call Heiton Buckleys myself tommorrow and see what price they give me , il quote the red deal decking first and maybe hardwood to see difference`s.

Good idea alright, although even then I'd say the quantity of wood is still small from the providers view so I'm not sure whether they'd come down much. Worth a try though, I wouldn't be starting mine until the weekend after this, and I'll have to do some ground prep first.

If you get a price on the hardwood I'd be very interested to hear it, if I get any more quotes I'll post them too.

I rang heiton buckleys , they said they only do softwood and have never had problems with it , they can order in hardwood but would charge for courier and may be more expensive, they quoted me 310 euro for 10 / 12 ft including posts spindles supports and nails , so basically the whole lot , he just said its allready treated so only need to maybe top it up in year or so . i will try DPL later to see how they compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I got my Decking and Octagonal Table from Ideal Woodcrafts out the Dunmore Rd.
    http://www.ideal-woodcrafts.ie/
    It was 3-4 years ago since I got it done so I would have to have a look for receipt. It was a 12 by 12 foot area if memory serves me correctly.
    I will PM you the cost and a photo when I get home later tonight, I have to go find the receipt which is buried somewhere. I was very happy with the finish and the professionalism of the guys who did it. Well worth ringing them and getting a quote off them.

- BFG

• Advertisement

Sorry just wanted to clarify, the first quote I mentioned was actually from Morris's and it was white deal. Also rang Heiton Buckley today and they quoted €190 for same thing (framework were 16' lengths). Neither seemed to do hardwood but would order it in.

Sorry just wanted to clarify, the first quote I mentioned was actually from Morris's and it was white deal. Also rang Heiton Buckley today and they quoted €190 for same thing (framework were 16' lengths). Neither seemed to do hardwood but would order it in.

Are you getting everything including posts for that or is that what brings mine up to 310 :confused: i was told DPL to try too i didnt get chance yet will try in while .

Are you getting everything including posts for that or is that what brings mine up to 310 :confused: i was told DPL to try too i didnt get chance yet will try in while .

No my quote is only for the decking boards and framework, I'm not putting in railing posts.

I rang Universal Providers in Kilkenny and they quoted me €185 for decking (White Deal/Spruce) and €54 for the framework.

At this point all the local builders providers seem to be selling either white deal/spruce or red deal/pine at around the same price. Is there much of a difference between these softwoods anyone? I'd be really interested in seeing a price for hardwood now.

I've been looking around and some people have said they have had no problems using softwood while some have said the opposite. If hardwood is a lot more expensive then I'd be leaning to using the cheaper board and risk having to replace it in a few years time, given how cheap softwood is. If the difference is not too bad I might swing for hardwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I rang heiton buckleys , they said they only do softwood and have never had problems with it , they can order in hardwood but would charge for courier and may be more expensive, they quoted me 310 euro for 10 / 12 ft including posts spindles supports and nails , so basically the whole lot , he just said its allready treated so only need to maybe top it up in year or so . i will try DPL later to see how they compare.
    i would love to have had same done, yet with the upkeep it gets green mould in winter which you have to power hose in spring and retreat, alot of work and expence every year
    i have just a cement one done it does fine and will never need repairing or replacing

No my quote is only for the decking boards and framework, I'm not putting in railing posts.

I rang Universal Providers in Kilkenny and they quoted me €185 for decking (White Deal/Spruce) and €54 for the framework.

At this point all the local builders providers seem to be selling either white deal/spruce or red deal/pine at around the same price. Is there much of a difference between these softwoods anyone? I'd be really interested in seeing a price for hardwood now.

I've been looking around and some people have said they have had no problems using softwood while some have said the opposite. If hardwood is a lot more expensive then I'd be leaning to using the cheaper board and risk having to replace it in a few years time, given how cheap softwood is. If the difference is not too bad I might swing for hardwood.

Ye it looks like most people go for the softwood , iv not seein any hardwood prices either , id be interested to hear of anyone who has had hardwood put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

It is one of the easiest thing to do decking, just talk to your local supplier and "just do it" that satisfaction will be all yours and a great sense of achievement.

I got a quote of around 600 to do decking everything included , is this good , im still undecided , may just go at it myself too .:)

I got a quote of around 600 to do decking everything included , is this good , im still undecided , may just go at it myself too .:)

No idea how competitive that price is to be honest, although I couldn't see the job taking more that 6-8 hours for one experienced person (possibly less)? So working on materials costing 300 then thats €40-€50 per hour? Personally I'm going to do it myself, looking forward to doing some 'real' work for a change :-) I don't think it will be too difficult, if you take your time and plan it well.

DO IT YOURSELF AND LEARN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No idea how competitive that price is to be honest, although I couldn't see the job taking more that 6-8 hours for one experienced person (possibly less)? So working on materials costing 300 then thats €40-€50 per hour? Personally I'm going to do it myself, looking forward to doing some 'real' work for a change :-) I don't think it will be too difficult, if you take your time and plan it well.

Quick question are any of these raised decks ,if they are make sure to get the support/foundations right ,this type of decking needs a bit more than good DIY skills .

If there are both been laid on the flat , then go for it Lads,

In either case , if ye need advice or help [online or in personal ]PM me I'll have no problem help ye through it , step by step if need be, Have done more than a few [including my own] over the years,

• Advertisement

Now all you have to do is have the balls to try, good level, good battery drill, circular saw, hammer and lots of Time.

I can be contacted by pm if you want any more hints

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shrek2

Mentioned it once before, www.gardenviews.ie

This guy did my sisters place and is doing the decking in my mothers place. Only going to take him a day he reckons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dublinreg

Im living in Dublin and am looking to get some decking done in my garden. If anybody has anybody they can recommend - that'd be great. Not too keen on picking somebody out of the golden pages !!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dublinreg

Sorry Shrek2 - didnt see your post.

Is he expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shrek2

I don't think so, He did my sisters place and she's so tight I'm surprised she didn't rent the garden space out!

He's going to be doing something for me too shortly so I'd defo recommend him.

Advertisement