Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Tyres dont have an "E" mark

• 21-04-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Bought 4 new tyres about 5 months ago for my Audi A4

Cost 103 euro each - Hancook Sport

1 week later, hit a plank of wood on the motorway, busted one trype, so had to fork out another 103 euro for a new one

NCT is now over due, and now I dont have an "E" mark on my tyres, so no point putting my car through when I know it will fail

What happens now?

There is no way I could afford to get new tyres just for the NCT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look on the inside of the tyres, some only show on one side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get a lend of wheels/tyres for the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im surprised at the amount of tyres that dont have this. They must be sourced outside the EU as many brand name tyres seem not to have them when bought through the smaller garages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hankook tyres all have the e mark on them. Try checking on the other side of the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Hankook would be an ok make of tyre it should have an emark unless it is a copy coming in from china in which Case it's bloody dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Here, if the tyres have "Hancook" on them, return them straight away; you've got extremely dodgy copies.

If they're actually Hankook, they'll be E marked, somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

MYOB wrote: »
    Here, if the tyres have "Hancook" on them, return them straight away; you've got extremely dodgy copies.

If they're actually Hankook, they'll be E marked, somewhere.

Exactly.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can anyone tell me what this E mark looks like? Is it just an E on it's own somewhere on the tyres? Does it have writing beside it? Is it before Rim sizing or anything like that? Also, is it needed for DOE test aswell as NCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

cormie wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this E mark looks like?

Seems there isn't a standard mark; it's just an upper or lowercase "E" with numbers and a circle or rectangle after it.

E-mark All tires sold for road use in Europe after July 1997 must carry an E-mark. The mark itself is either an upper case "E" or lower case "e" - followed by a number in a circle or rectangle, followed by a further number. An (upper case) "E" indicates that the tire is certified to comply with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of ECE regulation 30. A (lower case) "e" indicates that the tire is certified to comply with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of Directive 92/23/EEC. The number in the circle or rectangle denotes the country code of the government that granted the type approval. The last number outside the circle or rectangle is the number of the type approval certificate issued for that particular tire size and type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire#Markings

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

I have the same issue on a set of Michelin MXV4 tyres on an X5. The spare is the very same tyre with the E mark but made in Canada whereas the 4 main tyres are made in the USA with no E mark. Note these were fitted by BMW garage three yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

time to change tyres.

After 3 years you won't have any comeback for a dealer to replace and also they should be near enough need replacing or soon will be

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Well aware that I have no come back to dealer. Was just stating that there are genuine cases where folks have good tyres (no suspect onse from china) with no E mark that need to be prematurely replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

One would argue they would not be prematurely replacing them? 3 years is a long time. Even if a car has been sitting up and not driven much would need tyres replacing as there could be cracks in the side wall appearing.

Anyhow, check the inside for an e mark first. Even if they don't have an e-mark but are genuine ones you would still need to get tyres with an e-mark for the day. Not all tyre shops having been selling e marks simply because Ireland hasn't been enforcing it up until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

phutyle wrote: »
    Seems there isn't a standard mark; it's just an upper or lowercase "E" with numbers and a circle or rectangle after it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire#Markings

Potentially confusing information there - the "E" (or "e") and number are enclosed in the circle or rectangle.

http://tyredwebdesign.com/Tyre%20Site%20E/Sidewall.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I have a k Mark in a circle... because the tyres were made in Korea?

I will have to check the other side of the tyre later on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

People are saying all Hancock tyres have E mark. Is it not possible that Hancock make tyres in different locations around the world for different markets & so the ones made outside of EU & not for sale in EU wouldnt have the E mark. That is my understanding of how 'good' tyres are showing up without the marking. So is it a case of dodgy importing rather than dodgy tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tmcw wrote: »
    Potentially confusing information there - the "E" (or "e") and number are enclosed in the circle or rectangle.

http://tyredwebdesign.com/Tyre%20Site%20E/Sidewall.htm

Indeed. A lot of descriptions of it on the web say the circle or rectangle follows the E (or e)

I finally found an image that shows the E inside the shape as you describe:

tyre2_lrg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

The E mark has been on tyres for years. The New version (E2) of the standard now relates also to environmental issues such as lower rolling resistance (therefore less pollution)and noise emmissions. This is a european law that must be adopted by all ec countries by 2012. If your tyres were made for the european market they should have this symbol. American manufactured tyres dont have it. Some similar in specification to european tyres would have been 'imported' in recent times and there may still be some unsold in the country.

I have Hancook tyres on my Jeep and they are very good. All carry the 'E2' symbol in a circle.

Advertisement