Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving in states with new licence?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

myself n himself thinking of heading to States end of summer for few weeks. I would love to do a bit of a road trip but Im the only one with a licence at the minute. have it 5 yrs but automatic only...which shouldnt be a problem in the states!

can anyone tell me what the story is with renting a car over there. if on the off chance he got his licence before then would he be able to drive over there too as a second driver?? i dont fancy doing all the driving! we're mid to late 20's

what about provisional licence's too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Well I don't know if this is still the case, but five years ago, I went to California three weeks after passing my driving test. I had no problem renting a car with my very new licence. Driving on the right can take a bit of getting used to though when you're an inexperienced driver, but luckily I had no accidents or near-misses.

I would recommend getting a highway code booklet (Rules of the Road) before starting to drive as there are some subtle differences, eg in some states (though perhaps not all, I'm not sure) you can turn right on a red light when there is no-one approaching from the left.

fifib wrote: »

Hmmm, not sure about provisional licences. I was always told that car-hire companies require a full licence, although I never confirmed that for myself. I have heard a few anecdotes about Irish people abroad blagging their way by saying that 'Provisional' referred to the 'Province' they were from etc, but I wouldn't rely on that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Thanks MazG!
    Just spotted another thread in the Motoring - Learning to Drive forum on a 6 month rule, that you cannot sit you driving test for 6 months after receiving your provisional licence! crap! were thinking of going to states end of august/september..he wont have it by then with this rule!! :mad:

Yes, that'll put a spanner in the works alright :(. Ah well, you can always plan your holiday with a slightly shorter road-trip. If you haven't decided exactly where you are going yet, I would recommend California, we had a great time there. Yosemite is just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MazG wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure about provisional licences. I was always told that car-hire companies require a full licence, although I never confirmed that for myself. I have heard a few anecdotes about Irish people abroad blagging their way by saying that 'Provisional' referred to the 'Province' they were from etc, but I wouldn't rely on that! ;)

Thats funny and I can imagine that it happens. In the US a provisional licence is called a "learners permit" so I can imagine that some joe behind the counter at budget rent a car in LA could well accept a "provisional licence" as a 'licence" (after all it is isnt it?).

Also americans dont put much store by "driver training" so i'm not even sure how common learners permits are. The driving "test" is usually quick and easy. Most americans go and pass it on their 16th birthday and get the full licence.

Does the provisional licence have a photo on it? Thats important in the US. They'll frown on ID that doesnt have a photo.

• Advertisement

Well as it happens, Ireland no longer issues 'provisional licences' to those learning to drive, they now issue Learner Permits. And yes, they do have a picture on them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MazG wrote: »
    Well as it happens, Ireland no longer issues 'provisional licences' to those learning to drive, they now issue Learner Permits. And yes, they do have a picture on them

Ah.

I've still got one of those old licences that's a red fold out notebook thing lying around somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

fifib wrote: »
    myself n himself thinking of heading to States end of summer for few weeks. I would love to do a bit of a road trip but Im the only one with a licence at the minute. have it 5 yrs but automatic only...which shouldnt be a problem in the states!

can anyone tell me what the story is with renting a car over there. if on the off chance he got his licence before then would he be able to drive over there too as a second driver?? i dont fancy doing all the driving! we're mid to late 20's

You your self should have no problems renting and an Auto will come as standard unlike having to pay a premium for it in Europe.

Your husband/bf would encounter some trouble getting a rental if he had just recently acquired his licence but different companies have different policies and the best bet is to go to an agent like Argus Car hire and they'll advise and are usually cheaper than hiring direct from the Rental company.

The 6 month waiting rule for the driving test only applies to new drivers who have just got their learner permit, if your fella already holds a Learner Permit or Provisional licence then he shouldn't have to wait the 6 months especially if he has taken the test previously and failed.

It is a piece of EU legislation which is common throughout the EU designed to stop Driving Licence tourism whereby a Brit or a German could lose his licence if disqualified and come over here and sit the Irish test in a short space of time pass and then return home with a valid driving licence in his own country. We will soon all have common EU credit card licences linked via a mega database so the Irish licence would be like the New York licence as a state in the union type licence, then if caught speeding in anywhere from Poznan to Portumna it will be the same points and fine.

Advertisement