Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on car deck/kennels in ferries

Options
  • 21-04-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I need to transport my irish setter from UK to Ireland and have read that either the dog has to stay in the car, or else put into a kennel. Has anybody any experience of this. Is the temperature not very hot on this deck, with fumes and noise? (it will be in June)
    My fella already doesnt like the car, he drools and is quite anxious, so the thought of leaving him in a hot car on his own for 3-4 hours worries me. I had thought of flying him but i think it would be too stressful for him since he even hates car journeys!

Any advice greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Your dog has to either stay in the car or in the kennels provided on the deck alright. Dogs are not allowed up onto the ferry where the public are.

I dont think it gets that hot really. Ive a dog, rottweiler who has been on the ferry a few times and is fine when in the car.
    Why not get the fast ferry, Swift, so hes not in the car 3-4 hours.

If he hates the car then the kennels would be a bit cooler for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you are going to put him into the kennels, then I would advise getting the Irish Ferries Ulysses. The kennel room on it is fantastic, nice big crates to put the dogs in, and there is a sink in there so that you can fill his bowl up. If putting him into the kennel I would being some disinfectant spray cleaner to give the kennel a quick clean first, and some paper to put down under his bedding. From what I have seen of the other ferries, the crates are out on the car deck, and I wouldn't leave my dogs in them.

When you travel in the car with him, is he loose in the car, or in a crate? If you can fit a crate into the car for him, I'd start getting him used to it now, use it at home as his bed, leave it open for him to come and go. Feed him in it as well, until he feels really comfortable in it. Then when you go in the car, if he's travelling in his crate he should feel settled and happy in it, especially if you cover it with a blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If he gets carsick (sometimes drooling is a precursor to vomiting) you can get medication from your vet (cerenia) that prevents vomiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

When I had to bring my dog across to France on the ferry my vet was able to give me a mild sedative for her to keep her calm and chilled out in the kennel. Granted it was a much longer trip than just to the UK but it definitely was worth it. She slept for the first few hours and then was really chilled and content for the rest of the way, where as the dogs in the other kennels around her were clearly very restless and starting to stress. Maybe see what your vet has to say? You'd only need a very mild sedative to just help him to be calm during the journey.

Advertisement