Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Health Insurance

Options
  • 21-04-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I know this topic has probably been thrashed out to death but googling around I'm finding conflicting info everywhere.

Can any one, in simple points, tell me what the benefits are of Private Health Insurance?

From what I can gather the only benefit is the possibility of being able to jump the queue. Everything else seems to be covered by PRSI and the Health Levy.

Really confused on this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

This thread had a similar debate, so it might be helpful to look through.

Like I said in that thread, the main advantages of having health insurance is that your costs as a private patient are covered in line with the benefits available on your chosen plan.

Being a public patient means that subject to the government hospital levy of €75 per night, you don't have any costs to pay, but you're put on the public waiting list for consultant visits and hospital admissions. (Except for emergency cases which are moved to the top of the line)

Quicker access is the main benefit of being a private patient, but there's no hard and fast rule on how much quicker you will be seen or treated. It varies depending the treatment you're getting, who your consultant is and what hospital or facility you're being treated in. Being private means you pay for everything yourself, either out of your own pocket or through health insurance.

Another advantage is you have more choice as to when you're seen or treated. For example, I've a private consultant's appointment coming up soon. I've had to reschedule it twice, and both times I was offered a date within 2 weeks of the previous date. If you were a public patient, I don't think that much flexibility exists, unless of course if was a serious case.

However, in terms of actual treatment, when you're in a public hospital, either as a public or private patient, you're being treated by the same doctors and nurses regardless so there probably won't be a major variation in the quality of the treatment you get. As because most consultants in private hospitals also practice in public hospitals there's probably no major difference in the treatment they give either. (The quality of your surroundings may be a different story)

I hope I've helped in some bit. Probably the best question to ask yourself is what do you want or expect your health insurance to do if you are sick and then see if it meets that expectation AND if that's something already provided on the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

This could be just what you want ?
    Irish Mortgage Rates History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Quite simply, it is emotional blackmail and, frankly, I am a victim and it is the last thing I'll let go during this recession.

Private health insurance gives you access to the services you need when you need them. It doesn't matter that you are entitled to them anyway but by time you qualify down that route, it is often too late.

I'm not saying it is fair or just, I'm just quoting the rules of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Thanks All.

Food for thought there.

I've read a few more articles on this and the only real advantage I can find it that you will be seen quicker, which in some circumstances can be life saving if a condition is diagnosed sooner rather than later.

While it irks me to subscribe to such a two tiered system, while I can afford it I think it might be madness not to get on board.

I did read that reforms are supposed to be on the way where there'll be one waiting list for Public and Private patients but until then I think I'll take advantage of the Health Insurance Fast Track.

Advertisement