Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire/HD2 or IPhone 3GS.

Options
  • 21-04-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m thinking about upgrading my phone and have narrowed it down to one of the following 3 –

HTC Desire
    HTC HD2
    IPhone 3GS.

I’m more inclined to go with one of the HTC’s as I don’t like how restrictive apples OS is, and I hate itunes!

Does anyone have any views on the Desire or HD2 and their OS’s?
    I know that the Desire is only out with Meteor at the moment so I’ll probably wait for O2 and Vodafone to launch it so that I can compare all 3 offerings.
    Also I see that O2 are offering unlimited data on the Iphone 3GS! I think that others typically offer 2GB, is this sufficient usage for a month? I’d see myself as being a moderate user of this service.

Also is it reasonable to say that O2 have the best 3G coverage followed by Vodafone and Meteor?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

O2 offer unlimited up to 3gb, that is way more than I need and I often hook up to wifi. I have a HD2. It is a brilliant phone, windows mobile works really well on it and it is a phone I would 100% recommend :) I have never gone near 3gb.. I think I used about 1.5 gb last month or so.

Well worth it :) O2 are the best I have found for coverage and plans so I stick with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A friend got the Desire yesterday and I have to admit to being very impressed by both the device and the OS. I was never intrigued by Android previous to this but the Sense UI running on top of it really made a difference - I didn't really enjoy using a friends Nexus One for some reason :|

The HD2 would be a no go for me unless you were confident on an upgrade path to Windows 7 being available.

With the new iPhone only months away, I would be inclined to say wait for that, especially if you are signing a contract.

The Desire should be out with Vodafone soon enough afaik and would, without doubt, be the one that I would be gettting, especially if I was signing up to a contract.

A friend got the Desire yesterday and I have to admit to being very impressed by both the device and the OS. I was never intrigued by Android previous to this but the Sense UI running on top of it really made a difference - I didn't really enjoy using a friends Nexus One for some reason :|

The HD2 would be a no go for me unless you were confident on an upgrade path to Windows 7 being available.

With the new iPhone only months away, I would be inclined to say wait for that, especially if you are signing a contract.

The Desire should be out with Vodafone soon enough afaik and would, without doubt, be the one that I would be gettting, especially if I was signing up to a contract.

To me Windows7 isn't the be all and end all, Windows Mobile 6.5 does a really good job and with the sense on top of it, works like a dream. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

HTC Desire by far and large imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

@OP
    What are you using the phone and the web on it for?That would help determine if data is sufficient. Also:Are you into the whole appstore-mania?
    I'm posting this from a HD2
    - imo the best phone available. My lady just returned her X10 in exchange for a HD2 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Thanks all for your replies.

Strecker to answer your questions -

Apart from taking/sending texts and calls I want to be able to access my exchange based emails from it and to do a small amount of web surfing.
    I’m not particularly into the whole appstore-mania but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t like the option of getting a few useful ones! That brings me to another question – can you gets apps for the HD2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 running on it?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Matt406 wrote: »
    Apart from taking/sending texts and calls I want to be able to access my exchange based emails from it and to do a small amount of web surfing.[/COLOR]
    I’m not particularly into the whole appstore-mania but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t like the option of getting a few useful ones! That brings me to another question – can you gets apps for the HD2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 running on it?? Thanks.

just as a matter of interest what are you currently using? Cause truthfully something like an e71 which you could get for under €140 sim free and delivered may actually be a more suitable phone. Yes it won't have all the bells and whistles and the 'oooooohhhhhhhhh isn't it pretty factor' but for what you are looking for it may actually be more functional and with a longer battery life as well.

I currently have an e71 but had a HD2 for a weeks loan from VF and at the end of it although I liked the HD2 it was hard to justify as the e71 just works better in a work enviroment. Yes the HD2 is amazing for internet but you really need to be using internet and apps a lot for it to be more functional then an e71

*edit that said I will be getting a desire as soon as VF launch it as I want to see how android is as OS and for the internet experience

Apart from taking/sending texts and calls I want to be able to access my exchange based emails from it and to do a small amount of web surfing.

Yes you can, you can get apps from the windows marketplace which will be on your phone :) and you can get apps from the XDA Forums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Then you should definitly get the HD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Matt406,

There are quite a few options re 3rd party apps for the HD2: build in is the official windows 'Markeplace' with (some) free apps, and a bunch of paid-for ones. Then there's handango.com. freewarepocketpc.net has quite a few handy freeware apps, and they recently released an 'appstore' program that you can install on the phone - curiously, that one works better than MS's Marketplace app (or Nokia's Ovi-Store...go, figure ;P ).

Of course, there's the XDA Developer Forum...loads of tips, tricks, tweaks, apps, games etc... Actually, THERE you'll find just about everything one could possibly need on/from a phone. Out of the box the HD2 is near perfection, after 2 hours on XDA forum it IS perfection :cool:

Should you go for the HD2, just 1 tip: There are fw differences between t-mobile' hd2 and the 'normal' HD2. If you do not get a T-Mobile HD2, stay away from tweaks and mods that are specifically for the T-Mobile one. Also: Some apps on XDA Forum that were extracted from US T-Mobile HD2s (for example "Swype") will change your product settings to T-Mobile HD2! That'll go away after a factory reset, but still.... caution!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

having owned both phones here is my opinion
    htc desire much better, nice screen, seems bit bigger and sharper.
    im using exchange on the desire and it works perfectly! the customizable home screen is great on the desire.. you can create your own, and have what you want on it.

iphone is boring compared to the desire. also the desire has a removable battery, faster processor , i prefer the desire more!

Advertisement