Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Colouring

• 21-04-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

does any1 know what the best home hair colouring kit is? my hair is brown with blonde hightlights but its going a kinda orangey colour so id like t go back to an all over brown as its less hassle and cheaper. im looking for a nice medium rich brown. any ideas??:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 radha

Now maybe someone with more technical expertise can advise you regarding covering highlights but personally I like the L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss range. It's like a tone on tone, lasts for far more washes than a semi-perm and without the ammonia in permanents. I also like it becasue it comes in a range of really nice chocolate and espresso type colours and gives a really nice lasting shine. It's also really cheap, possibly €7 or €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niamhey

Most home kits like Casting are tone-on-tone which means you will still see your highlights after you colour it, which might be fine, but then when they start to grow out, it'll be trickier colouring again, because you'll have to deal with removing/changing the home colour and this can be complicated. If your highlights are going orange/brassy you can get toning shampoos (usually lilac or blue coloured) that neutralise the orange colour. Apparently, Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo or Clairol Shimmer Lights are both good ones. Of course, if your highlights are fairly subtle, the Casting might cover them enough so that you don't have very obvious roots. But it will definitely make it harder to colour your hair again. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I dye my hair at home all the time using demi permanents.

My two favourite ranges are Boots botanics and Loreal casting cream gloss.

Botanics give your hair a fab shine and last well. Bitter chocolate comes up very dark just to warn you! I like it but its a very dark brown. They do a lovely one called baked nutmeg which is a lighter brown and a coppery one too.

In the casting creme gloss chocolate is a lovely mid warm brown, and rich expresso is a darker richer brown but still has some warm hues in it. Dark chocolate is exactly that - a darker version of the cholate colour. I have used all three and loves them

• Registered Users Posts: 35 radha

On a slightly different but related topic, and Niamh, maybe you can answer this. What is it about some of the dark colourants that causes some people to end up with thinning and bald patches throughout the hair. It seems to be really noticeable on people who use very dark pigments. Is it the actual pigment or peroxide? It really doesn't look well and looks like years of abuse from the same colour. I hadn't dyed my hair for years as my hair couldn't absorb semi-perms and I never experimented with anything else. It's only recently that I've started using demi-perms and the likes of Casting. I love those rich chocolate and espresso colours and want to continue to use them but I don't want to end up semi-bald.

Anyone know how to avoid this or what the exact cause is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

I like Clairol Nice n Easy - try a semi permanent to start off with to see what colours you like - I use Medium Brown 765, its not always available tho. Its not too dark and it covered my highlights when they started going a brassy colour.

Btw, they usually sell a conditioner with the pack & its really great, makes your hair more manageable & super shiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

radha wrote: »
    On a slightly different but related topic, and Niamh, maybe you can answer this. What is it about some of the dark colourants that causes some people to end up with thinning and bald patches throughout the hair. It seems to be really noticeable on people who use very dark pigments. Is it the actual pigment or peroxide? It really doesn't look well and looks like years of abuse from the same colour. I hadn't dyed my hair for years as my hair couldn't absorb semi-perms and I never experimented with anything else. It's only recently that I've started using demi-perms and the likes of Casting. I love those rich chocolate and espresso colours and want to continue to use them but I don't want to end up semi-bald.

Anyone know how to avoid this or what the exact cause is?

I don't think it's anything to do with colouring you hair. I think it's just more noticeable on people with dark hair than those with fair hair.

Advertisement