Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotorBike Recommendations

Options
  • 21-04-2010 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm a mid 30s guy wanting to buy his first bike. I have a full license so from reading up on it I can only get a 125cc bike. Could you let me know of your recommendations? I was looking online and the Derbi GPR 125 and the Honda CBF125 look like good options. Any opinions? Also where would be the best place to buy? I'm guessing Dublin rather than Galway.

Cheers
    Whitman

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You've a full license? Car or bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Whitman77

car license, thats why i can only get a 125 i think. Any recommendations?

You need an A / A1 license to get on a bike.

Could be wrong but I don't think the car class lets you on any size bike anymore.

ah really!? You can see how much i know about it!

Did you take this test? Is it difficult? Does it take a long time to learn/ pass?

Theory test is easy enough, then you just have to apply for the A licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Whitman77 wrote: »
    car license, thats why i can only get a 125

huh?

What does it say in the bike category on your licence?

if it is a uk licence you might be as well off doing the Direct Access Program over there as you go straight to proper bikes upon completion.

i've been in Ireland for over 10 years but still have a UK driving license... trying to work out whether i am eligable to ride a 125cc bike from the reading the back of it is impossible because its in bad shape and also not at all clear.. in 1 part it has category A and on the card part category A is not listed...

i wondering if it would be easier to get an Irish license and then just apply to take the motorcycle test? i need lessons in any case...

any opinions?

Any recommendations on bikes?

Cheers for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you've a UK driving licence, I assume it's for Category B (i.e. Cars).

The motorcycle licence comes in two flavours, A1 and A. The A1 lerner permit limits you to 125cc or less and something like 11kw. The, A learner limits you to 25kw or 33bhp.

If you obtain the full A1 (i.e. do your test on this) you will be licence to drive/ride bikes upto 125cc or 11kw. If you obtain your full A you will be licensed to drive/ride bikes with unlimted cc BUT you have limited to power and weights for the first two years of the full licence being issued.

From a learner permit, once over 18, it makes sense to apply for the A test. As this will eventually permit you to ride any bike.

As for insurance, if you are mid-30s with a A learner permit, you can ride bike of any cc once both the power and power-to-weight ratio are within the limits.

<edit> Re the UK licence, if you got it 10 years ago, I doubt you'd be licenced to drive a bike upto 125cc, maybe a moped (<49cc), as I've this, but not a bike A1 or A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Whitman77 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a mid 30s guy wanting to buy his first bike. I have a full license so from reading up on it I can only get a 125cc bike. Could you let me know of your recommendations? I was looking online and the Derbi GPR 125 and the Honda CBF125 look like good options. Any opinions? Also where would be the best place to buy? I'm guessing Dublin rather than Galway.

Cheers
    Whitman
    Start on a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250. Best of luck regardless.

Advertisement