Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite and receiver recommendations

• 21-04-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m after moving into a new house and was thinking of getting in Sky, but don’t fancy having to pay a monthly subscription.

Interested in getting the usual UK FTA channels but also want to get the HD FTA channels.

I read about the Ross Satellite kit for sale at B&Q for €120 but would like a 7 day EPG, and apparently the Satellite with this kit is flimsy?

There is no satellite in the house at the moment so I would also have to get one of these.

I’d be willing to spend up to about €300 in total, so what do you guys suggest?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For 7 day EPG, and a good box, it's hard to ignore the Humax Fosat HDR, a Freesat+ twin-tuner receiver with recording function. Check out the Richer Sounds forum here, as I think they'd the best price for the HDR around.

However, this might push your budget a bit, so maybe get one of the Freesat HD boxes without recorder. Think Humax do one of those too.

Dish wise, a "Sky" dish would do if you're on a budget, though if you're after quality, then I find it hard to beat a Triax TD64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Thanks byte,

I had a look on the richersounds forum there and saw you can get TVs with built in Freesat.

I am also looking for a decent size(37"-42") TV so would this be the best way to go?

byte

If you're looking to buy a TV also, it might be the best way to go, incorporating it all in one remote control :)

Many of the Freesat TV's also are able to work on Irish DTT (MPEG4), which is an added bonus (though, not sure if all Panasonics are playing ball?).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Im in the same boat as Dos 30. ( would like the satellite but not the monthly bills)
    I just want a simple system .
    Is the Lidl one any good...when next its on offer or simular for around €100 mark.
    Will it pick up for example.. bbc utv rte music channels . .
    Is the signal good...say like sky ?
    Any ideas
    Tks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Im in the same boat as Dos 30. ( would like the satellite but not the monthly bills)
    I just want a simple system .
    Is the Lidl one any good...when next its on offer or simular for around €100 mark.
    Will it pick up for example.. bbc utv rte music channels . .
    Is the signal good...say like sky ?
    Any ideas
    Tks

Stay away from the lidl satellite kit bad quality satellite dish
    You will get a system from B&Q for €50 or even better still a many retailers sell DIY satellite kits for between €70 - €100. you wont receive any of the Irish channels free to air on satellite. I would suggest that you get a Proper Freesat system and installation from your local installer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Thanks for reply.
    If I get a Proper freesat system will that be a one of payment. Roughly how many english speating channels would I get.
    Have you any idea of a supplier in dublin.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Thanks for reply.
    If I get a Proper freesat system will that be a one of payment. Roughly how many english speating channels would I get.
    Have you any idea of a supplier in dublin.
    Thanks

Yes you only pay a one off payment. Try here http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/BBC_Free_to_view.html

Ok I've decided to go for the L2 42LF7700 TV with Freesat HD built in.
    Now the next thing is to get a Satellite and all of the accessories.

Is this a complete list of what's needed?

Satellite
    LNB
    Cable
    F-Connectors
    Wall Mount
    Coach bolts and plugs
    Sat Finder

Also am I as well off getting a Quad LNB, just in case I want to connect other TV's in the house in future? Will it matter if the other connections on the LNB are idol and exposed to the elements?

Is there any difference in the equipment for receiving a HD signal?

Any recommendations on where to get all of the above at a good price would be really appreciated.

Would something like this be any good?

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/60cm_Dish___suitable_for_sky_and_BBC_free_to_view_.html

byte

That list seems pretty much everything.

Personally, I'd go for the quad LNB if you do think you'll add other rooms down the line. Usually, the quad's have a hood that slides down to cover connections, or you could just blank off the unused LNB ports with a bit of self-amalgamating tape for extra safety.

The only different equipment you need for HD, is a HD receiver (and telly of course :)). Dish/LNB etc don't change.

I've no experience on how good or bad that dish is, though, personally, I'd prefer spending an extra few quid on the Triax 60cm dish, also on that site (bear in mind that bracketry and LNB are seperate items for the Triax dish).

Thanks Byte order placed with satellite.ie, they seem to have fairly competitive prices.
    I went with the Triax 60cm dish and the Quad LNB in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

we switched from cable to a FTA set up, and it's great except that apart from the usual channels we have some adult ones we'd like to block. Can anyone tell me if it's possible and how? The people we got it from just said no.

many thanks

byte

Newgirl wrote: »
    we switched from cable to a FTA set up, and it's great except that apart from the usual channels we have some adult ones we'd like to block. Can anyone tell me if it's possible and how? The people we got it from just said no.

many thanks
    Most, if not all, FTA receivers have options to lock or delete channels you don't want.

How it's done depends on receiver, as many makes have different menu systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Newgirl wrote: »

many thanks

Is there a parental lock in the menu ? I have never used one but I do vaguely remember seeing some.

Deleting those channels is your best bet.

Advertisement