Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway 5k Series.

• 21-04-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

First up Athenry next Tuesday 27th.

A few Questions if any Athenry people are looking in :)

1. How far is Newcastle out from Athenry?
    2. Does anyone have a link to the course route (mapmyrun?)
    3. Are there any hills? I really don't like hills. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

littlebug wrote: »

just add to your list if you dont mind !

4. any way can have a look at whos entered ?
    5. how long in car from galway city is run ?

cant wait for this to start , really excited !!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

About 5miles.

http://www.athenryac.com/directions_to_the_athenry_5km
    Note the time is wrong on this map.
    Yes . Drag from 2.5 to 4km, long downhill to finish. Net downhill course.
    Seres wrote: »
    just add to your list if you dont mind !

4. any way can have a look at whos entered ?
    Should have list up later this week.
    5. how long in car from galway city is run ?

Not too far, with the new motorway to Athenry.
    From City centre to Athenry 40 mins tops [traffic dependant.]
    Athenry to Newcastle 10 mins.
    Please Car Pool in Athenry!!
    More info on Athenryac.com later this week.

cant wait for this to start , really excited !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/newcastle%2c%20athenry/269127187056291053

*The start and finish points are probably a bit off.

I don't like surprises much so I had to get a better idea of the so called drag from 2.5 to 4k :D . 'Tis a hill alright! Despite that I'm still looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Hi,
    really looking forward to this series as well. Just wondering, do we collect our timing chips at the first race or will we be mailed them?

Cheers

galwayspur wrote: »
    Hi,
    really looking forward to this series as well. Just wondering, do we collect our timing chips at the first race or will we be mailed them?

Cheers
    Collect on the first night.
    Get there early!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

aburke wrote: »

Might be down working in galway during this , so hope to make one of these races now:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

shels4ever wrote: »
    Might be down working in galway during this , so hope to make one of these races now:)

If you aren't signed up now its too late, no on the day entries. Sold out in about 3 hours.

Anyone want to slow jog/walk this with me :) Coming back from ITB issues so only able to walk/jog for the first 1 or 2. :rolleyes:

Yop... your slow jog will probably still be faster than my run so you won't be alone :o

Seres... Best of luck up at the front :)

G'luck everybody. Nice and windy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/newcastle%2c%20athenry/269127187056291053

*The start and finish points are probably a bit off.

I don't like surprises much so I had to get a better idea of the so called drag from 2.5 to 4k :D . 'Tis a hill alright! Despite that I'm still looking forward to it.
    Enjoy the course - it and Tuam are the flattest of the 5k courses I think so it's only uphill frm here...

• Advertisement

coming form carrick on shannon , whats the best route , thru roscommon town , thru castlerea or thru tuam , any idea how long it will take , estimated time per google maps approx two hrs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yop... your slow jog will probably still be faster than my run so you won't be alone :o

Have to miss this one, tried a run last nite but knee blew up again, I thought after missing 5 weeks with rest and physio I was going to be ok but alas no.

Pain in the head at this stage (or knee ;) )

you headin down littlebug ?, sorry to hear you cant make it yop , will keep you posted !

you headin down littlebug ?

I am yeah. Sorry I can't help you on which roads to take... I'm having difficulty deciding my own route! Will you have your boards singlet on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

coming form carrick on shannon , whats the best route , thru roscommon town , thru castlerea or thru tuam , any idea how long it will take , estimated time per google maps approx two hrs

Looking at Google Maps routes, the best option is via Roscommon, it will actually bring you onto part of the course, so you don't have to go as far as Athenry at all.

I am yeah. Sorry I can't help you on which roads to take... I'm having difficulty deciding my own route! Will you have your boards singlet on?
    no , will be wearin a green/turquoise t-shirt , black leggin and the most beat up pair of runners you'll see there , very small too 5 2' , if you spot me please come over and introduce yourself , will be on my own so a chat id be nice
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Back after a really enjoyable run in Newcastle, Athenry. Thanks to Athenry AC for a great set-up as usual. Very happy with my time of 23:20 (pb).

Tuam next. Hurrah!!:D

Thumbs up from me too. I really enjoyed that after a bit of a stressful start trying to get to the start line on time! Lesson learnt and I'm very happy with a pb of 27.54 (watch time). Well done Athenry on another well organised and executed race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes i think we got out on the only dry patch all day, very enjoyable and a great crowd with the day that was in it

Aburke you might give me some advice here, lost the chip on the run, how do i go about getting a replacement

Can I get it on the tuesday next week

Thanks

catweazle wrote: »
    Yes i think we got out on the only dry patch all day, very enjoyable and a great crowd with the day that was in it

Aburke you might give me some advice here, lost the chip on the run, how do i go about getting a replacement

Can I get it on the tuesday next week

Thanks
    Yep, you can get it next Tuesday from Red Tag Timing. Get there early to sort it out. €5 replacement fee.
    Loop it through your laces - takes a few minutes, but then its there for 6 weeks!

Well done to Mrak on a fantastic win, and to everybody who took part.

It went off pretty well, massive crowd!
    To think that 80 people took part in this race only 4 years ago - almost 600 finishers tonight despite the weather.

Results on www.redtagtiming.com and on www.athenryac.com now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Result up on redtagtiming.com ,great job done by athenry ac

great to see the results so quickly.

Well done on the win Mrak! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Good buzz there last night good to see so many new runners out...

well done mrak you went out like a cannonball and burnt out a few lads...had a brutal run myself legs like lead weights till 3k.. still its a marker for next week... had forgotten how horribly tough 5k can be ...!

brutes1 wrote: »

well done mrak you went out like a cannonball and burnt out a few lads...had a brutal run myself legs like lead weights till 3k.. still its a marker for next week... had forgotten how horribly tough 5k can be ...!
    thought i really liked that distance but its so fast you forget
    think i went out a bit fast , my splits were all over the shop
    really well organised, seem to focus on the fundamentals of a race: timing chip , quick results , low cost , punctual on start, aai ceritified , went off bang on time , came up from boyle bit of a trek , definitely worth it , mad running culture over further west , none barely in roscommon , looking forward to tuam , not so far either , see ye all there !

brutes1 wrote: »

Thanks B - the aim was a blow out and I was in a heap at 2k! Great organisation as usual by Athenry - really something else and a smashing course. I think the series record of never being run in the rain is still intact.

mrak wrote: »
    Thanks B - the aim was a blow out and I was in a heap at 2k! Great organisation as usual by Athenry - really something else and a smashing course. I think the series record of never being run in the rain is still intact.

Ah, congrats. :)

When I seen mrak I thought people had mistyped Mark :o

thought i really liked that distance but its so fast you forget
    think i went out a bit fast , my splits were all over the shop
    !

If my deduction skills are up to scratch I think you had a crackin' run there Seres. Right up there with the big boys and girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Great to see the positive feedback. Make a lot of the slog worthwhile.

If anyone has any queries on individual results over the course of the series just PM me as I'm co-ordinating all such with the chip timing people (www.redtagtiming.com).

For anyone wondering the series shirt will be a very fetching white technical top with navy blue print. Have been running in a feebie sample for the last week and they're very comfortable :-)

Roll on Tuam.

Mick Rice
    Series Co-Ordinator

Hi Mick,

Thanks for all the organisation, I'm know there's a huge amount of work by many people to go into the whole series, and especially for the first one in Athenry, having to dish out all the chips beforehand.
    Its all greatly appreciated.

Just a little constructive criticism, and something to consider.
    The start last night took me and a few others by surprise. The hooter went and that was it, without any real notice - people were busy chatting, and it wasn't clear for a few seconds whether it had started or whether it was just to get peoples attention - soon became apparent we were under way. :D

From previous series, I remember a little hush and/or a loud-hailer to announce that the race was about to begin.
    Can't remember if Athenry have always done this, but I do remember it in other races for sure.

Again, I realise all the work that goes into the whole thing, just throwing out the suggestion for future races/series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

mrak wrote: »

Great running mrak. I reckon that 32min 10k is a distinct possibility some time this year.

Point taken about the start Spurscormac - with the increase in numbers and a congested start line a PA or loud hailer is an essential pice of kit,

Thanks for the feedback,

Mick.

can anyone tell me what the tuam course is like re hills , where? , how long are they?, steepness ?

It might be a new course this year - different start point - though they may run the same route, just have the start/finish moved.

If its the same, I think its the flattest course of them all.

There's a mapmyrun map of the route on the Tuam ac website. www.tuamac.com

Not exactly flat - think that'll be an uphill finish if I remember the route rightly. One of those hills that's okay at the start but could pinch you on the home straight.

• Advertisement

Well done Tuam. I wouldn't call it flat but it worked well for me anyway and I took nearly a minute off last weeks time :)
    Great having the facilities of the Ard Rí hotel and a good wide start helped. The nice long downhill in the first mile may have also worked in my favour :cool:

Well done Tuam. I wouldn't call it flat but it worked well for me anyway and I took nearly a minute off last weeks time :)
    Great having the facilities of the Ard Rí hotel and a good wide start helped. The nice long downhill in the first mile may have also worked in my favour :cool:

Yeah - was more hilly than I remembered, but I like the course.
    Got a pb, sub 21 for the first time, so I'm more than happy with that.

Should have checked exactly where the finish was before I warmed up & headed to the start - was further down than I thought. :D

Well done Mrak and Seres! :)

I'd say that was some race between the three leading women!

Well done Mrak and Seres! :)

I'd say that was some race between the three leading women!
    ya it really was , i went out and was just intending to stay with the leading ladies for as long as i could , edged ahead of eimear at about 3km then i was in the middle of the two athenry girls , could feel the team pressure , then final two hundred just let it blast , great race , great fun , pb 18.40 , improved on my old pb last week of 19.25 , funny cause the race yesterday felt alot harder
    race was well organised again , everything cleared up by nine o clock , well done tuam ac , see ye all in claregalway , gotta skip next week

• Advertisement

I didn't feel great on the night but tried running out like a lunatic anyhow for the second week in a row. Couldn't hold it as well as last week though and ran the rest of the race with a target on my back. I'd say if the race were 5.1k I'd definitely have slipped one or two places. I can thank the supporters as if they didn't shout "come on Brian" at me on the home straight I would definitely have been caught napping at the end - didn't realise he was that close :) Might skip or jog the next race myself or marshal - depends on how I feel on the night but I feel ropey today. Well done Tuam AC on another very well organised race and a great new course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Surely you'll go for 3 in a row next week mrak? :D Great win last night. Fair play to you.

Congrats on another fine run Seres. Jumping from 3rd last week to 1st this week. Well done.

As mentioned above, another superbly hosted race. Take a bow Tuam AC. Ideal weather conditions too.

Mick put a big ball of pics up here:

http://www.athenryac.com/image-galleries/galway5kmseries2010tuam

there are also some on frank kennedy's site:

http://www.eirefoto.com/10_5k_series_B_home.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done mrak, serious running. You can't not go for the 3 in a row now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

ya it really was , i went out and was just intending to stay with the leading ladies for as long as i could , edged ahead of eimear at about 3km then i was in the middle of the two athenry girls , could feel the team pressure , then final two hundred just let it blast , great race , great fun , pb 18.40 , improved on my old pb last week of 19.25 , funny cause the race yesterday felt alot harder
    race was well organised again , everything cleared up by nine o clock , well done tuam ac , see ye all in claregalway , gotta skip next week

wow, great pb and a win !

best of luck everyone doing this leg morro , thought id be glad of the break but would love to be joinin in now , look forward to results, comments and pics !

Mick Rice wrote: »

how did you find the course ?

great time for Catherine Conway , times seem to be bit better to last week generally ?

Course was very gently undulating...a fair test. Felt tired going into it after some good recent training sessions (had trained at lunchtime yesterday) but was happy to be picking it up at the end. Great organisation by the local Craughwell Crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Overall series table is now up at:

www.redtagtiming.com/Galway5kmSeries.html

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement