Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway 5k Series.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Great organisation by the local Craughwell Crew.

+1 on this. Great buzz about the place last night again. It's easy to see why this series sold out so fast.

That must have been some contest the 2 Mayo lads had to tie for first place. Savage running by Catherine Conway. A good night for Mayo AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

think there is adjustments to be made to the that redtag table

do they take the best of 5 races to decide on ranking for series ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Seres wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

What ranking??

I dont see anything like that on the sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

It's sorted by "Surname". There is no overall prize or ranking for the series.

John

jcunniffe wrote: »
    It's sorted by "Surname". There is no overall prize or ranking for the series.

John

i know , it was just a question unrelated to the table that i was asking , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Hi folks - on a rest/(crocked?) week so I took a video of tuesday's race. On the club site:

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=650

Cool vid mrak. Didn't have you down as a Bjork fan. Cool tune :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

You can view some photos of the Craughwell 5k here: http://eirefoto.com/10_5k_series_C_home.htm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

More photos from the Craughwell leg of the 5K series:-

http://www.athenryac.com/image-galleries/craughwell5k2010part1

Chest infection still not clearing so maybe taking more photos at Claregalway.

• Advertisement

anyone know what claregalway course like ?

anyone know what claregalway course like ?

Quite hilly. Two fairly big hills. There has been talk that the route may have to be run in reverse this year but haven't heard anything official yet. However must say it is a lovely course to run.

Quite hilly. Two fairly big hills. There has been talk that the route may have to be run in reverse this year but haven't heard anything official yet. However must say it is a lovely course to run.
    what stage are the hills , and how long/steep are they ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/clargalway/815124238259775211

Course from last year..

Couple of hills but funny enough it has always produced quick enough times with a downhill finish , suppose people are well warmed up as its race 4 of series, and hills dont matter too much in a 5k your up and over them in a flash..!

Seres,

Below is the approximate course profile - please don't base a race plan on it as I may be out on the start finish and also as previously stated, there may be a change in course direction.

CGgradient.jpg

thanks doctorchick , that one at 2.5k looks a bit scary , seconf half overall will be the testy part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

well that was ... wet!
    Well done to Mrak and Seres again :)

Just 2 left - one to guarantee a t-shirt! I think the downhill at the end was longer and steeper than the chart above shows.. you were basically downhill for the last k. The 2.5k hill was tricky but jogged the course in reverse for a warmdown later on and it would be a lot worse the other way around that's for sure! Well done claregalway and all that braved the elements. We should try to get a boards group picture together however that can be done I don't know.. Maybe any boards lurkers do a geeky dance at the end of the next race and we'll spot each other.

mrak wrote: »
    Just 2 left - one to guarantee a t-shirt!

I missed Craughwell so have to do both Loughrea and Dangan to get the t-shirt. As we all know that's the most important thing :cool: I'll be the one hiding round the corner when the group boardsie photo is being taken!

Mrak what's the route for the Dangan race? I just can't picture how 500 people will fit?

mrak wrote: »
    Just 2 left - one to guarantee a t-shirt! I think the downhill at the end was longer and steeper than the chart above shows.. you were basically downhill for the last k. The 2.5k hill was tricky but jogged the course in reverse for a warmdown later on and it would be a lot worse the other way around that's for sure! Well done claregalway and all that braved the elements. We should try to get a boards group picture together however that can be done I don't know.. Maybe any boards lurkers do a geeky dance at the end of the next race and we'll spot each other.
    i think i will skip the geeky dance you suggest and just wear my boards ac singlet , cant do next week , will do galway , so will miss out on t -shirt :( , was turnout less this week than other weeks , i noticed three strong female contenders were missing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Could always just have a sign saying "Boards.ie" group photo somewhere near the finish of the Dangan race.

Liked the run last night, despite the hills, rain & the fact that I was almost a minute slower than Tuam (missed Craughwell). :)

• Advertisement

i think i will skip the geeky dance you suggest and just wear my boards ac singlet , cant do next week , will do galway , so will miss out on t -shirt :( , was turnout less this week than other weeks , i noticed three strong female contenders were missing ?
    Seres try schmooze talking Mick Rice at the after series party and he might be able to arrange something for you as regard t-shirt.. (disclaimer - he's fairly unschmoozable, doesn't even take alcohol so plying won't work). Numbers were down but still 450+ which isn't bad. Not surprised that folk took a break - 3 in a row and some weekend races on top of that and a wet tuesday all helped.
    Could always just have a sign saying "Boards.ie" group photo somewhere near the finish of the Dangan race.

Liked the run last night, despite the hills, rain & the fact that I was almost a minute slower than Tuam (missed Craughwell). :)

If you do up the sign I'll gather at it.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Who says I can't be bribed ?

Collated results from all races so far are here.

http://www.athenryac.com/claregalway-results

Quries/correction/bribes to mick at athenryac dot com,

Cheers,

Mick.

Collated results from all races so far are here.

http://www.athenryac.com/claregalway-results

Quries/correction/bribes to mick at athenryac dot com,

Cheers,

Mick.
    ah sure i might get some concession for coming all the way from north roscommon to take part ?! 4 0f 6 plus travel concession = 5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

How about blackmail? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Anyone any idea what the Loughrea course is like or if the profile is online anywhere? I hear its hilly, is it as 'bad' as Claregalway?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the Loughrea course is like or if the profile is online anywhere? I hear its hilly, is it as 'bad' as Claregalway?

MapmyRun link: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/loughrea/251630951

Course Profile:
    loughrea.jpg

Speedy44 wrote: »

It's very like claregalway - though not quite as "bad", has an almost identical profile. Loughrea AC did a cool video of it in 2008 to get you in the mood:

http://www.vimeo.com/1294899

Well I won't pretend to have enjoyed that :D But fair play to Loughrea... it's the second race I've run there and they come across as a very friendly bunch. Extra thanks to the nice man who kept coming back and filling our cups with lovely iced water.

What an evening for a race yesterday. Cracking conditions. Well done Loughrea. Thanks for organising a dinger of an evening.

Congrats to mrak on another fine win. Fair play dude. Great to see Seres in the boards.ie singlet. Another fine run by her. Great win by Catherine Conway last night. She just seems to come through from 1k or so and she just keeps on trucking. Impressive stuff.

pgibbo wrote: »
    What an evening for a race yesterday. Cracking conditions. Well done Loughrea. Thanks for organising a dinger of an evening.

Congrats to mrak on another fine win. Fair play dude. Great to see Seres in the boards.ie singlet. Another fine run by her. Great win by Catherine Conway last night. She just seems to come through from 1k or so and she just keeps on trucking. Impressive stuff.

I was wondering who the boards.ie singlet was, but only noticed it as they were trying to get everyone back behind the start line.
    Will say hello next week if you're there Seres.

• Advertisement

must say boards ac singlet acts as a good social networking tool , found it really tough yesterday , time not so great , think i went out too fast and the hills just flatten me altogether , which was a bit dissappointing , normally i can make time on the hills , however do think its a really good testy course , weather was a welcome surprise compared to last week and well done to loughrea ac for a well run event , special thanks on my behalf to to TJ Beatty if he reads the boards , rang him bout 10 o clock cause i forgot my HR belt in wall at start , got him and a search party out for the pub searching for it !:o , well done mrak on another win , missed out on meetin you again littlebug , magent went to point you out to me after the race but you had dissappeared , maybe next week ;)

Well done again Seres and Mrak :)

I was looking out for you Seres- I can't believe you were in a Boards singlet and I missed you! You were probably gone before I finished :rolleyes: I didn't stay long at the finish line as I went in search of water. I was up there for maybe 10 minutes. I think I saw Magnet pass me as I was on my way back to the car. I really must catch up with you next week. Big field + eyes peeled. Isn't there an after race "do" in the westwood?

A very good collection of pictures from Loughrea on the Athenry site.

Well done all. Was nice to meet Seres. I found that really tough going - very tired or something and the hills and breeze weren't a great help. All of these courses are tough 5ks I think.

Only one more to go thank god. Great series though I'll be glad to get to the end of it this year. My week is now race, get some niggle, take a few days off, moan about it till monday when it starts to ease.. repeat! I'm less fit now than when the series started, but it's still good fun all the same.

After Loughrea one of the GCH-race organisers came over to me and started trying to describe the layout of the new course. I was bushed and couldn't really follow his directions so he said "oh don't worry, I asked Gary Thornton to jog around with ye during the race and show you the way" :) If this week's niggle clears by Tuesday it'll be funny and a nice reality-check to run a race eyeballs-out among the leaders and have a tour-guide breathing easy and probably chatting beside us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Photos from the Night of the Long Shadows (Loughrea 5km.) on eirefoto site here: http://eirefoto.com/10_5k_series_E_home.htm

Well done again to Mark and Catherine. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

...and the end of a very enjoyable series.

What's the Dangan course like? I don't foresee any Loughrea-esque hills but I'm sure there's one or two smaller climbs on the way around. Is it a loop of the pitches or along the river and back again or both?

From GCH website

The outline race route is as follows: The race heads from the start, ( main GAA pitches ) through the gap towards the new car park, out the car park exit through Corrib Village, out a gate of Corrib Village towards St. Anthony's and the new N.U.I.G. buildings (well, towards the hoardings around the new Buildings site), looping around to come back up by the river with Corrib Village now on your left, running as far as the rugby pitch, then around the soccer pitch and the 'new' soccer pitch, then back towards the training pitch in front of the Pavillion to finish.

First half is fast enough, like a normal road race, then a rough surface and some very tight turns in the second half - will be a lot slower than first half - and a nice hill to finish

brutes1 wrote: »
    From GCH website

The outline race route is as follows: The race heads from the start, ( main GAA pitches ) through the gap towards the new car park, out the car park exit through Corrib Village, out a gate of Corrib Village towards St. Anthony's and the new N.U.I.G. buildings (well, towards the hoardings around the new Buildings site), looping around to come back up by the river with Corrib Village now on your left, running as far as the rugby pitch, then around the soccer pitch and the 'new' soccer pitch, then back towards the training pitch in front of the Pavillion to finish.

First half is fast enough, like a normal road race, then a rough surface and some very tight turns in the second half - will be a lot slower than first half - and a nice hill to finish

Thanks, brutes1

From GCH website

yes, definitely need to be careful on those tight bends brutes1, some people have been known to fall ;)
    Is the hill the same as last years, if so, its more of a bump than a hill ie, very steep but only about 10-15 meters long.

• Advertisement

Suit of armour needed and strong elbows for the last k ??!!
    Think its the hill to the back of pavilion speedy44 that is being used not the one from last year ( if the GCH insider has given me the right info)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Suit of armour needed and strong elbows for the last k ??!!
    Think its the hill to the back of pavilion speedy44 that is being used not the one from last year ( if the GCH insider has given me the right info)...

hmm, I suppose that at least might cut out some of the 90 degree turns. Should be fun alright trying to pass someone going around the soccer pitches.

how long should it take me from tuam to dangan ? , need to estimate when i need to leave the house , already know how long it takes me to tuam ,

how long should it take me from tuam to dangan ? , need to estimate when i need to leave the house , already know how long it takes me to tuam ,

How fast of a driver are you - I would take a guess at 45mins, but it depends on traffic. You'll have to negotiate the headford road & terryland roundabouts, and the quincentennial bridge, and there's just no telling when they're gonna be backed up.

Anyone out there from Tuam who could give a better idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A straight run in from Tuam no traffic and you would be comfortably under 30 minutes, Claregalway is the major factor here. I cannot believe nothing has been done on this bottleneck by the council or NRA. Although it will be worse coming out of town than going into town at that hour of the evening.

Play it safe and Factor in at least 15 minutes to get through Claregalway

• Advertisement

Cormac is about right with the 45mins time. There's plenty of roadworks around Tuam at the mo' too which can set you back a few minutes.

I'm heading from Tuam and will be leaving at 6:30 hoping to get there for 7:15...fingers crossed Galway's traffic will be free-flowing this evening.

galwayspur wrote: »
    Cormac is about right with the 45mins time. There's plenty of roadworks around Tuam at the mo' too which can set you back a few minutes.

I'm heading from Tuam and will be leaving at 6:30 hoping to get there for 7:15...fingers crossed Galway's traffic will be free-flowing this evening.
    is this the best way to get there ?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Tuam,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland&daddr=Dangan,,+Upper+Newcastle,+Newcastle,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland+(Westwood+House+Hotel)&geocode=FW6SMAMdr_B4_ylhPzRtS_FbSDFR8ffSGH-_bQ%3BFdsfLQMdk4R1_yHcfKSoKrGrfg&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=53.40329,-8.981756&sspn=0.339771,0.88028&ie=UTF8&ll=53.285948,-9.045868&spn=0.042588,0.110035&z=13

is this the best way to get there ?

That's pretty much it except I've corrected the destination.
    Here's an updated map:-
    Tuam - Dangan

You need to go as far as the lights at the Westwood Hotel, take the left, then near the top of the hill, there's a right turn to bring you down to the car park for the sports complex.

Thanks to all at Galway City Harriers for last night and to all organisers at the other races throughout the series.

The course last night was quite challenging I thought, especially the loose stones/gravel around the 3.5-4k mark. Nice route around Dangan though and such a great evening for it. Delighted to finally get under 22mins and to have a new target in my sights.

How about that start?! The noise was superb, like the grand national!!:D

+1. Thanks to all involved along the way. That was a lovely course though I felt like I was going backwards on the stones! The food in the Westwood afterwards was great and I love the t shirt and sweatshirt (yay I got one!).
    Seres it was nice to speak to you although I realised afterwards that I just told you my real name and not my boards name:rolleyes: That was me you were talking to just before the gun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement