Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Oil Find Off Dalkey!!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What, in caravans?! :rolleyes:

I've worked in the offshore industry and many of the people (including a large number of highly skilled and experienced Irish) like myself lived nowhere near our place of work or the airport. In fact a lot lived in the remoter parts of the UK and Ireland. Working offshore means you don't have to migrate with your family but can settle in rural communities. But you go to Aberdeen or Stavanger (neither of which have a refinery) and you see how the oil wealth has transformed these small cities. If we could tap into a fraction of that, it would be a welcome change.

Spot on. Agree 100%

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hedgehoggski

Original Quote from "HH":
    And how much tax will they actually pay when all the exploration costs have been "creatively" written off? You are aware of Irish exploration terms thanks to ray burke and bertie aren't you??
    Ah, this old guff.
    Ok now its "guff" .... (says "crushproof")
    "Oh lets compare the Norweigan oil terms against Irish terms. You do realise the costs involved in oil and gas exploration?
    I believe this is a "shallow" well yes?. The data was as a result of a survey paid by the Irish taxpayer originally yes?. Licence obtained for a song by o'reilly yes?. Where are these terrible costs you speak of? none so far!!

The strike rate for an oil find is 1 in 4 in Norway, in Ireland it's roughly 1 in 30. This means the costs involved in finding reserves are substantially higher in Ireland,
    On whose say so? The oil company benefitting from the 2nd worst terms on the planet??? :rolleyes:

and therefore scares off investors. So naturally enough the government has to implement softer tax rates to attract private exploration firms to develop our oil & gas infrastructure.
    Yeah, right! that was definitely what Ray Burke was thinking at the time. Bertie too. What true patriots, making difficult decisions solely for the long term benefit of a thankless Irish populace! What a guy! *sarcasm!

And..wait..look up, there's a pig flying. I think I can make out something on it's teeshirt.... "made in new zealand" ..."crushproof"..... and, yes, I think it has lipstick on. :D

I honestly do think it should be higher
    And...hey presto! now it's NOT "that old guff" after all. :eek:

So tell me crushy, why call it guff in the first place if it's actually not by your own admission. Make up your mind! :rolleyes:

I guess even the oil shills can't keep saying that the "ray burke / bertie exploration terms" are fair with a straight face for the duration of a whole thread!!! :p:D

but until oil prices increase it is unlikely that the terms will change.
    Wrong wrong wrong! until our political appointees actually represent the Irish people instead of merely the interests of the rich and powerful, things like the exploration terms will not change significantly.

Currently, even nigeria get a better deal than Ireland. I think only the poverty stricken brown people of the cameroon were screwed over by their corrupt government even more than Ireland on their exploration terms! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Currently, even nigeria get a better deal than Ireland. I think only the poverty stricken brown people of the cameroon were screwed over by their corrupt government even more than Ireland on their exploration terms! :rolleyes:

don't suppose you want to flesh that out with some actual facts and figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Original Quote from "HH":
    Ok now its "guff" .... (says "crushproof")

I believe this is a "shallow" well yes?. The data was as a result of a survey paid by the Irish taxpayer originally yes?. Licence obtained for a song by o'reilly yes?. Where are these terrible costs you speak of? none so far!!

On whose say so? The oil company benefitting from the 2nd worst terms on the planet??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, right! that was definitely what Ray Burke was thinking at the time. Bertie too. What true patriots, making difficult decisions solely for the long term benefit of a thankless Irish populace! What a guy! *sarcasm!

And..wait..look up, there's a pig flying. I think I can make out something on it's teeshirt.... "made in new zealand" ..."crushproof"..... and, yes, I think it has lipstick on. :D

And...hey presto! now it's NOT "that old guff" after all. :eek:

So tell me crushy, why call it guff in the first place if it's actually not by your own admission. Make up your mind! :rolleyes:

I guess even the oil shills can't keep saying that the "ray burke / bertie exploration terms" are fair with a straight face for the duration of a whole thread!!! :p:D

Wrong wrong wrong! until our political appointees actually represent the Irish people instead of merely the interests of the rich and powerful, things like the exploration terms will not change significantly.

NURSE! some more Ritalin please!

NURSE! some more Ritalin please!

A rather pathetic Ad Hominem. Cliched, lazy and showing little imagination. If you are going to insult someone, at least make it interesting!
    Maybe taking some ritalin might wake YOU up a bit!! * :D

*for those who don't already know, taking ritalin is like taking "speed" if you DON'T happen to have ADHD. It has entirely the opposite effect if you do.

• Advertisement

don't suppose you want to flesh that out with some actual facts and figures?

ok cookie, check out this page.
    http://www.shelltosea.com/content/just-how-bad-irelands-oil-gas-deal

and I suggest anyone interested in the whole issue of offshore exploration and licensing terms / taxation / etc have a good read of this excellent and comprehensive investigative article by the CPI.

http://www.shelltosea.com/sites/default/files/images/04-CPI-Corrib-Controversy-Report.pdf

This was all before the PD's had them shut down. Pity! we really could have used them over the whole anglo / bankster debacle couldn't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shell to sea being an unbiased source of information of course.

There is nothing that this country needs more right now than a few oil rigs parked off its shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There is nothing that this country needs more right now than a few oil rigs parked off its shores.

Couldn't agree more

21/25

Sorry to disappoint you but the respected investigative reporter frank connolly wrote the report for the CPI. It was not written by shell to sea, merely hosted on their site. Try actually reading the report first before the knee jerk pavlovian ad hominem. You might actually find it quite interesting and not at all conforming to your preconceived notions!

Ok lets have nothing then! After all, thats likely what we'll end up with in payment under current exploration terms when everything is totalled up. Of course any potential cleanup costs, and extra road works, infrastructure etc will bring it into the negative but then again, nobody costs the "externalities" of these projects do they.

Sure what the hell lets foot the bill for oil company profits. I mean why stop at underwriting foreign banks. Lets just underwrite everybody's greed. After all, as Enda says "the irish people pay their way" (and everybody elses way too it seems)

For those with less closed minds, here's a couple of interesting somewhat related links from dublin opinion recently. Also NOT written by shell to sea:
    http://dublinopinion.com/2012/02/10/a-masterclass-in-irish-compradormiddleman-capitalism-courtesy-of-tony-oreilly-jnr/

http://dublinopinion.com/2012/02/04/resource-exploration-options-and-the-irish-business-model/

Advertisement