Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-made fondant icing

Options
  • 21-04-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My 6 six year-old has picked out the cake he would like for his birthday. It requires a load of leaves made out of coloured pre-made fondant icing. Any ideas where I might get this in Dublin city centre?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

You could colour white icing yourself with food colours. I don't think you will get a great variety of ready-made coloured fondants. Check on-line shops. The selection is great and it would be cheaper than buying here (even with postal charges). http://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/ Delivery takes only a couple of days and you can track it on-line too. Good luck with your cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Greengonzo

Thank you - this is my first attempt at anything other than butter icing! will be stunning or a disaster:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's packs in Tesco with 5 different coloured icings, about 100g of each, I think they're Dr. Oetker but I'm not 100% on that. Could be a handy starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Tesco Ready to Roll icing, green food colouring and icing sugar. Knead the colouring into the fondant, add a little icing sugar if it becomes too wet. You can get leaf cutters in Kitchen Complements on Chatham St. Actually, you can get food colouring pastes there too, better than using liquid colouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sorry, for some reason I thought the OP said multicoloured leaves, so yeah green colouring would be best like MagicMonkey said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Tesco (well our one anyway) is doing two different sizes of ready roll icing now which is handy. If you can get some apple leaves from a tree or similar safe plant and you could use that as a template for the leaves.
    Or if you Google you should be able to get a printable template if you can't get a cutter. E-bay usually do a good range of cookie cutters.

Thank you all for the advice:D

Success:-) - bought the Smamrock pre made icing in Dunnes and combined the green gel colouring bought in Kitchen Compliments. Made two different shades for the leaves on my jungle cake then eft them to set overnight.

The cake looked great.

Thanks for all the advice

Advertisement