Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticky Chips

• 21-04-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭

With some of the roads been patched up at the moment I sometimes come across potholes or short stretches which have been 'repaired' with tar and chips. Sometimes I hear the noise of a chip hitting the frame and I assumed that it was from where the tyre made contact from the road.

That was until I was cleaning up my bike this evening and looked under the fork, see attached pics. Very small gap here between tyre and fork and it looks like the chips are sticking to the tyre and are been forced though this small gap, gouging the fork on the way, then exiting fast and bouncing off the downtube.

Just one of the hazards of road repair I suppose. Its a strong carbon fork so cant see it doing any long term damage but never thought of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

It could be that, or it could be the claw marks of a small rodent, desperately trying to stop itself from being flung backwards onto your down tube. Similar to a hero holding onto the fuselage of a plane trying not to be smashed into the wings.

DFD*

*DreamingFertileDreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

if something sticks to your wheel it will go from down tube to fork, not from fork to downtube....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭delynet

True, not that good going backwards yet!

Must be just the ones that fall off and hit the downtube before reaching the fork that make the 'ping' sounds.

Advertisement