Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting general statements about posters

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Zaph wrote: »
    To be honest, and as has been pointed out repeatedly, it appears to be the case that how you interpret it is the problem. From what I have seen in the Soccer forum, which I do frequent so I'm not just speculating here, the mods are quite fair in their implementation of the rule. You are viewing every attack on your posts as a personal attack. This simply is not the case. If posters instead of posts were being attacked on a widespread scale we'd have reported posts from just about every poster in the forum. The facts do not bear this out.

Haven't you ever heard of hyperbole? If somebody told me to my face that everything I said was total bollocks, I wouldn't believe that they meant every single word. But it's easier to say that than 83% of what you come out with is bollocks. Anyway, so what if he did say that to me, it's only his opinion about what I said, it's not as if he's calling my parentage into question.

Oddly enough, none of us ever would believe that we are capable of talking crap. We have an opinion and we wish to make it known. It doesn't mean we're right, we could be completely at odds with the prevailing opinion, but while we're arguing our point we will always feel that we're right and are talking sense. But if so many people kept telling me the same thing over and over I would start to take on board what they're saying. You have a huge postcount for such a relatively new poster, and I do think that there is an element of quantity over quality at play here. A little more judicious posting and a slightly thicker skin would give your critics less ammunition to fire at you, but as it stands I do think that you're possibly your own worst enemy.
    Again Zaph I dont get the impression that forum mod had any problem with my posts I was talking about. You can diismiss A and include B but as such I cant be expected to buy into what you are saying. Its being selective in my opinion. Dont seem to be making any headway here so will leave it at that. As always appreciate your time.
    cordially yours
    SOTS

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can diismiss A and include B but as such I cant be expected to buy into what you are saying. Its being selective in my opinion.
    Yes. Thats what mods do. They apply non-binary thinking to keep the forum thriving.

Black and White enforcement of the rules has been done, along with the dozens of feedback threads to support that it was overbearing.

Look at the end of the day I went to forum feedback with reservations but admin thought it was something worth discussing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65510040&postcount=3

We can all decide to pull against each other or have a proper discussion on the debate.

We're not, pulling apart. Everyone else seems to be in near-unanimous agreement, but you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Have we not been having a proper discussion on it?

Secondly your helpdesk seemed to be a different topic. From reading it, I get the impression its about what to do with an abusive post after the poster has been acted on by a mod. Should it be deleted? Edited? Or left there with a note or infraction as a warning to other users.

However the majority of this thread has been discussing what you deem to be abuse compared seemingly to everyone else.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    We're not, pulling apart. Everyone else seems to be in near-unanimous agreement, but you.
    Im not sure if you are getting this overheal but i was encouraged by an admin to take it to this forum.
    Have to say Im a bit diisappointed by the response. Came in here hoping to make a bit of progress which I thought this forum was about.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Im not sure if you are getting this overheal but i was encouraged by an admin to take it to this forum.
    Have to say Im a bit diisappointed by the response. Came in here hoping to make a bit of progress which I thought this forum was about.

You can only make progress if you have a valid case to make progress with in the first place!

Anyone will leave it at that. I dont want to be turning this into a one man crusade and second very reluctant to be having four or five way conversations. Thought this would be a simple enough discussion. Really between me and the mods IMO. Posters will post and thats their business. Im merely looking for a bit more enforcement on what is a simple enough rule. . Can only hope that some of what I said sticks. I live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Love it five pages in and you still don't see where you are going wrong. The rule is being enforced, you just don't understand the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I give up, I really do.

Like banging your head of a brick wall at this stage trying to explain things.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Welcome to my world Xavi. I'm book marking that post for future reference :p:p

SOTS, It seems like we have had quite a civil and open debate, I cant guaruntee consensus at the end of every debate and often people leave feeling others didnt understand their point etc... I can do nothing about that either but you HAVE had a debate, a proper one, imho.
    Overheal wrote:

You would say that, you're part of the Mod clique.

:)

DeV.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I give up, I really do.

Like banging your head of a brick wall at this stage trying to explain things.
    We simply differ on things Xavi. You have you're interpretation and I have mine. De Vore's post I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thought this would be a simple enough discussion. Really between me and the mods IMO. Posters will post and thats their business. .

You have had many Moderators and an Admin post in this thread.
    Ignoring what i have said and the other members whos opinion you clearly dont value, the moderators stilll appear to disagree with you, not because they dont respect your opinion - merely because they disagree with it.

In General few threads in Feedback get as much attention as this one, it has been discussed rather openly and has a representation from a rather wide variety of boards.ie members and moderators. The bottom line is this, it takes consensus for a request to be implemented, i cant start a feedback thread or a helpdesk thread and request that moderators stop people from posting with spelling mistakes. Why? Because, its not against the rules, its only natural for people to do, and you cannot change that. I cannot expect an entire forum to change something that even if they wanted to try.. cannot change..

DeVore wrote: »
    You would say that, you're part of the Mod clique.

:)

DeV.
    No, I - ............

khaaaaan.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I thought that was going to be longcat for a sec :D

Bad Overheal, bad. :D

snyper wrote: »
    You have had many Moderators and an Admin post in this thread.
    Ignoring what i have said and the other members whos opinion you clearly dont value, the moderators stilll appear to disagree with you, not because they dont respect your opinion - merely because they disagree with it.

In General few threads in Feedback get as much attention as this one, it has been discussed rather openly and has a representation from a rather wide variety of boards.ie members and moderators. The bottom line is this, it takes consensus for a request to be implemented, i cant start a feedback thread or a helpdesk thread and request that moderators stop people from posting with spelling mistakes. Why? Because, its not against the rules, its only natural for people to do, and you cannot change that. I cannot expect an entire forum to change something that even if they wanted to try.. cannot change..
    I never said I dont value their opinions. I differ with their interpretrations of things. They have been known to differ with me so no-ones feelings are being stepped on here.
    Like I said another Admin has stated that he feels that the subject is worth a general discussion so if its case of my posts are getting in the way of that general discussion Ill step aside.
    Maybe I was a bit too quick agreeing to the thread being moved to feedback but was expecting a bit of fair play.
    So thats twice I have climbed down on this issue, first from agreeing to moving it from the help desk and second from moving it to feedback.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, theres ten mins of life i will never get back - still havent got a clue what you are complaining about.:confused:

anyhoo, i think maybe its time to build a bridge and have a beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I dont want to be turning this into a one man crusade

You've been on a one man crusade since about a week after you started posting on the Soccer Froum my friend.

You have certain ideas on how YOU think it should be run and work, and you are like a dog with a bone about it.

Give it up, the majority of the people who use the Soccer Forum are satisfied with how the mods run it.

You are the only person who has constantly publicly complained about the forum in about a year. In the past, if someone started a FB/HD thread about the Soccer Forum, it was a bloodbath usually, people jumping on the mods, people calling the mods out, they weren't good times to be a Soccer Mod.

It's nice to see the tables have turned, the majority of posters from the SF actually agreeing with the mods. I never thought I'd see the day. What's more, a person with less than a year experience on the Forum coming and posting on a near monthly basis in the Feedback or Helpdesk Forums about how they think the Forum should be run, in a way that suits nobody apart from themselves, it's actually unbelievable.

You say that you "get" the Forum, when quite clearly you don't, you don't have a bog's notion how the place works, and I doubt you ever will. I actually feel sorry for you at this stage, you've been posting in the Soccer Forum for long enough now, you aren't even a weird n00b any more.

You make ridiculous statements and refuse to engage or debate on them, the latest of which is your outlandish statement about José Mourinho and the possibility of him taking the manager's job at Newcastle.

I believe that you are on a constant wind up, I can think of no other reason why someone would post something like that. It WAS a crap post, and you just dropped it like a bomb, and never returned to the thread, after several people asked you to. I can just imagine you sitting back and having a good laugh.

You are a troll SOTS, you are a troll and a Drama Queen. Remember that little "long goodbye" you had? Pathetic posts all round there from you. WTF the point of that was, I'll never know.

Let me give you some advice, you are at risk of becoming a parody of yourself, if you haven't already. One of the Soccer Mods is clearly already getting pissed off with you, and the Admins will begin to feel the same way if you continue to post these ridiculous posts in HD/FB. You can't stick to one thought, and you post in a strange stream-of-consciousness way that I've never seen before, and when someone does take the time to address you, you pick only one point from their post, usually something slightly negative about yourself, and drag the thread off on some weird tangent.

In finishing, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your use of the Soccer Forum.

irishbird wrote: »
    well, theres ten mins of life i will never get back - still havent got a clue what you are complaining about.:confused:

anyhoo, i think maybe its time to build a bridge and have a beer
    okay to get back to where we started. Asking that what Im proposing below be encorporated into charter via the feedforward public forward forum. Two others seem to agree. Will leave it to the folks in here either to either say yay or nay and leave it that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890317

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Again Zaph I dont get the impression that forum mod had any problem with my posts I was talking about. You can diismiss A and include B but as such I cant be expected to buy into what you are saying. Its being selective in my opinion. Dont seem to be making any headway here so will leave it at that. As always appreciate your time.
    cordially yours
    SOTS
    Look at the end of the day I went to forum feedback with reservations but admin thought it was something worth discussing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65510040&postcount=3

We can all decide to pull against each other or have a proper discussion on the debate.
    Anyone will leave it at that. I dont want to be turning this into a one man crusade and second very reluctant to be having four or five way conversations. Thought this would be a simple enough discussion. Really between me and the mods IMO. Posters will post and thats their business. Im merely looking for a bit more enforcement on what is a simple enough rule. . Can only hope that some of what I said sticks. I live in hope.

Pulling the drama queen card (yet again) and deciding to no longer continue in a debate because your the only person against it isn't going to help you get your point across, it just comes across as childish.

Even though you seemed to have answered the question twice I'm actually still not entirely sure what you want?
      You want Mods on 24/7.
      When Mods do act they do so too slowly.
      If someone says something you don't like you complain/start a feedback thread.
      If someone says something to someone else that would annoy you you like it, but when it's aimed at you it's OOB.

No-one else appears to know what you want and I'm fairly sure the reason for that is that you don't know what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

okay to get back to where we started. Asking that what Im proposing below be encorporated into charter via the feedforward public forward forum. Two others seem to agree. Will leave it to the folks in here either to either say yay or nay and leave it that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890317

And with that we've turned full circle, which means it's time to close this thread before it implodes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement