Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Recruiting Issue

Options
  • 21-04-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I was let go with 1500 workers from my IT job last June. Since then, I have been diligently looking for new employment.

I have alerts setup on the top four job sites to let me know when any Win-Tel Engineering roles are posted.

Since last June I have sent off my CV dozens of times and gone through the standard phone interview with recruiters who go over my history, skills, etc. Then the big question is always asked - 'Have you been submitted to Pocket Kings?'

Turns out, I have. The first day I was out of work I found a post about a job opening I applied for with them and sent a CV. They said it didn't match their criteria. Fair enough, no worries I will keep looking.

The only problem is to date, since last June, I have had 38 phone calls from recruiters, all about the exact same position.

Every week I get email notices of new jobs matching my criteria. Every week I send off my CV to these jobs - on different job sites with different recruiting companies. Each week the recruiters ring me, we go through the whole song and dance only to find it is the same position.

At this point it is a running joke with my mates. They ask if I have found any work - I tell them I sent off a half dozen CV's - they reply 'all to pocket kings?'

It does keep social welfare off of my back, but I would much rather have a job. I mean, at first it was kinda funny, now a year on to have sent off almost 40 CV's all for the same role which keeps getting reposted every week or two by every recruiter in the country on every job site.

Anyone have any ideas of how to remedy this or do I just keep sending off CV's to recruiters every week for the same job? Today, five more CV's sent to new posts on the job sites, five more phone calls all to tell me it is the same job, at Pocket Kings.

It's like the movie Groundhog day...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

40 CV's in a year?

Why not apply to ''normal'' jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have actually sent off more than 40, just 38 (including the 5 today) all to the same company about the same job, posted by different recruiters on different job websites, and reposted, and reposted...

I could apply for 'normal' jobs, but I have six years of college, 15 years experience, and the highest certs available in the industry. It seems a waste to move to another field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Ive sent 171 Cv's in the last two months!
    But that's because I'm trying my damndest to get a particular training contract.
    I have been applying for normal jobs also

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

Have you tried LinkedIn, it is a networking site for professionals and they often have real jobs advertised there.

Like you I have fired off CV after CV and I've casted the net far and wide to a certain degree. I know a lot of people say go for anything but to be honest prospective employers get so many CVs that they can be very selective so I don't believe there is any point in going for something outside of your area as you would be wasting your time. Sending of generic e-mails and CVs is wasting everyone's time. You need to make a targeted search.

I have registered with agencies and yes it can be frustrating but if you keep a good relationship with them eventually it will pay off (I got an interview for a real job that is decent, with good money and great prospects, etc, fingers crossed I get it), also the papers, job sites, and finally networking.

As I said earlier LinkedIn is great, the hiring managers are on the lookout through it. I saw a job for google, got an interview but didn't pass the assessment through it. Also I would do a search on companies who would benefit from your experience and maybe ring them or send an e-mail asking to chat. There are groups on LinkedIn and I'm sure there is one for your field, so join that, give advice and you will make all sorts of connections that may benefit you. Also you could do a search on job fairs etc and again go armed with your CV, best smile and positive attitude. I know it can be hard to keep going, it is deeply frustrating at the moment, I have been job seeking since last May and often I despair but you have to keep trying. Good luck and if you want any more info on LinkedIn just let me know.

Advertisement