Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cork Accent .... The worse or the best in Ireland

Options
  • 21-04-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Sometimes I love a cork accent ... LIke "" Boy "" YA "" Realllllllllllllllllllllly""

But then It can get really annoying quick ... When im on the streets of cork im often desperate for ear plugs ...

What do you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I don't know, I never noticed an overabundance of people speaking in a deep accent. Mostly, the ones having a really marked accent seem to be part of a very specific social group - and you can identify them even before they get to speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

After Scouse and Manc accents, it has to be the worst accent in the world. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Depends which Cork accent really, theres a knackerish one and one that sounds kinda posh, I knew a guy from Montenotte who's accent used go through my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I never really noticed a posh Cork accent. Maybe I just didn't mix in the right circles!

Anyway, my answer is both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I usually don't really take any notice of it when I'm in Cork but when I was living in the UK I really noticed it. When I was talking to friends and family on the phone it was really noticable and it was the first time I really noticed their accents. It happened once or twice walking down the street in Cardiff where I'd pick up on a Cork accent on the other side of the street or something, its pretty distinctive. The Cork accent is still much easier on the ears than the South Wales Valley accent though!

The Cork accent really stands out on the tv as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

The Cork accent is still much easier on the ears than the South Wales Valley accent though!

You're not wrong there, why is it that Welsh people sing when they talk?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

colblimp wrote: »
    You're not wrong there, why is it that Welsh people sing when they talk?!!

Ha, ya. It must be something to do with Welsh people always being insanely happy, well it seemed to me they were happy anyway. I'd swear the whole of Wales was on something. I think people there found my accent funny too, my friends would always get a great laugh when I said things like tree instead of three......yes they were easily entertained :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

There are few things worse than sitting relaxing in a bar in Melbourne only to have your ears assaulted by a big gang of Cork accents!!

I can say that because I am from Cork myself - my Australian friends thought that they sounded hilarious :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Being away from Cork most of the time I do smile now when I hear the Cork accent. But in a good way, like the poster says 'Home, like'.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neither to be honest, its an ok accent, sometimes its absolutely terrible and other teams its like a blessing to hear it when you dont expect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ozzies laughing about accents... Hmm stones and glasshouses come to mind. :D
    MrsA wrote: »
    There are few things worse than sitting relaxing in a bar in Melbourne only to have your ears assaulted by a big gang of Cork accents!!

I can say that because I am from Cork myself - my Australian friends thought that they sounded hilarious :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I never really noticed a posh Cork accent. Maybe I just didn't mix in the right circles!

That would be me lol.

But, on topic, there are lots of sub accents in Cork and most are nice imho. Even those spoken by the more socially deprived types are interesting to listen to. Someone needs to make a linguistic atlas of Cork English pronto!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Worst accent, D4. Second worst, all other variants of dub. Third worst, all munster accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's just that "Help, help, my son de engineer is drowning!" Níall Tóibín one, which I thought was a piss-take but you would hear the odd person speaking with it - usually aged over 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Pretty horrific, although the gutteral city version is (slightly) worse then the gutteral country version.

OMG the haters come out in force. Why come on the Cork forum if you hate the accent(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There are different types of Cork accent, and most of them I like. The only one I dislike is the "Daycent" accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

simu wrote: »
    OMG the haters come out in force. Why come on the Cork forum if you hate the accent(s)?

precious.jpg

... erasing ... image ... from ... mind

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Worst accent, D4. Second worst, all other variants of dub. Third worst, all munster accents

Bitter much?

Anyway, my answer is both.

One of my mates parents both have a really posh cork accent, its very soft and their words are real drawn out.

• Advertisement

cotwold wrote: »
    Bitter much?

Ehhhhhhh, no:confused: Why, are U?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I can genuinely say after being stuck out in Tenerife for two weeks I loved hearing the Cork accent again! :D

Ehhhhhhh, no:confused: Why, are U?

I just think the gratuitous D4 hating is more than a little tired.

This thread is about people's opinions on accents. Get over yourself lad.

Its actually about cork accents. You went off topic, son.

Its actually about cork accents. You went off topic, son.

And my opinion was that Munster accents are the third worst in the country. Cork is in Munster. To add to the debate, I included my thoughts on what the first and second worst were. If I hit a nerve, thats your problem, not mine. Your first post was a childish dig at me, for some reason. You didnt tells us what YOU think of ANY accent. Why dont you participate instead of trolling, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

colblimp wrote: »
    After Scouse and Manc accents, it has to be the worst accent in the world. :mad:
    If you think any of those are bad, you've yet to experience the inner city Limerick accent :D Sounds like a rat being dragged through sulphuric acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I love it, that poster sums it up perfectly (home,like). Whenever I go back home I start smiling as soon as I hear it. Apparently it's fairly easy to understand for foreigners aswell. People have said to me that they've spoken to other irish people and not understood a word they said but they understand me perfectly, I'm from Turner's Cross and I got the cork accent bai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I have to say i can not answer this question with one word.... I mean- cork accent might sound even cute at times, but then at other times i just wanna hit my head through the wall cos im so tired of it... I just think it all depends on who is speaking it, because theres not just one typr of cork accent out there...
    Most of times however, im pretty fond of cork accents. In my opinion it sounds real bad only if ppl start yelling in it... imagine that it real loud voice now... "COM 'ERE BOY, What ya want from there, Come'on, let's take it to the fookin pub, will ya"... baaaaaad.

One thing i must say tho... try being away from Ireland for a bit of the time... and then hear someone out there speaking with cork accent...gosh, then i just love it and wanna give this person a big happy hug. Nothing seems to sound better than cork accent then:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's a horrible, horrible accent that hurts the ears of many - fail to see how that could be construed as "bitterness".

Advertisement