Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cork Accent .... The worse or the best in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gah. I mainly HATE the "Cark accent boi", but there are some women who do have a very nice Cork accent :cool: :P ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i cant believe i'm saying this, as a kerrywoman, but i love the cork accent

i lived there for years and got very used to it, even probably picked up a touch of it myself

there's something comforting and melodic about it

(jebus, if my folks ever read this i'll be disowned!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sam34 wrote: »
    even probably picked up a touch of it myself
    Infected or injected? ;):D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the_syco wrote: »
    Infected or injected? ;):D :P

who knows ;)

upon my repatriation to the kingdom they tried to knock it out of me, but i'm told that when i get cross or excited the high pitched voice returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

People in Ireland and Britain are fixated on accents. It becomes quite tiresome at times!

Also, I always find it very amusing to hear someone with a strong accent laughing at another strong accent.

Eg I know quite a few city centre Dubliners who sound like Ronnie Drew (RIP) yet think they have no accent and find "country" accents eg central Belfast or Cork very amusing.

It's also impossible to say "a cork accent" there are lots of them and the variation is as big as from Dublin's Moore Street to Foxrock.

Certain voices rather than accents tend to go through me.

Most accents aren't too bad, provided the words are annunciated.

I'd prefer a sing-songy Cork or old central Dublin accent anyday to the flat expressionless accent that's appeared in many places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I absolutely detest the deep Cork accent associated with some North side areas. Although you always know you nearly home when you hear it at the airports.

Specifically Terminal One at Heathrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I really hate the City Knacker accent..especially on Girls XD.

But ya most Cork accents are fine..but on TV they reallyplay the cork accent in a way I've never heard.

What I found hilariouse was when a person from the North at oxegen commented on the South accents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

I like the Cork accent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wasn't it Tommy Tiernan who once described the Cork accent as 'like tinkers trying to speak French'?

I like all Cork accents, even the hardcore 'Norrie' accent. It's very like Welsh in inflection.

The only English-speaking accent I dislike is Dublin-scumbag.

Does anyone know that that poem\rhyme that starts "Are u from Cork? I am I am" and goes on about eating potatoes skins and all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Seloth wrote: »
    I

But ya most Cork accents are fine..but on TV they reallyplay the cork accent in a way I've never heard.

Yes, the stage Corkman, I call it. Heard on the rare occasions that the great and good of RTÉ venture into our fair city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think this pretty much sums it up--brilliant video

oh another one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Let's just agree with 'all Irish accents are horrible ****e' and move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

Does anyone know that that poem\rhyme that starts "Are u from Cork? I am I am" and goes on about eating potatoes skins and all?

I've only ever heard it spoken by a Kerryman so this is how I remember it:

Are-ou from Cork? I am, are-ou?

Do you eat schpuds? I do, do you?

How d'ou eat em? Schkin an' all

Don't you choke? Era not at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

DamienH wrote: »
    Apparently it's fairly easy to understand for foreigners aswell. People have said to me that they've spoken to other irish people and not understood a word they said but they understand me perfectly,
    Ooh i dont know about that. My Dutch friend has better than perfect English and he says he finds some Cork accents very hard to understand. Its probably down to the speed with which people talk. He thinks Galway and Dublin are the most easily understood Irish accents and i'd tend to agree with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Apparently it's fairly easy to understand for foreigners aswell. People have said to me that they've spoken to other irish people and not understood a word they said but they understand me perfectly, I'm from Turner's Cross and I got the cork accent bai.

I'd definitely disagree on that. On my J1, the two members of the group with strong Cork accents may as well have been speaking Swahili as far as the Americans were concerned. The amount of time they had to repeat themselves was hilarious. Even other Irish people have a hard time understanding thick Cork accents.

Personally, I can't stand Cork accents. I'm intolerant to quite a lot of accents though. I'm eternally grateful that I have a very neutral accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

On the 02 ad with the Cork version..wtf kind of Cork accent is that.

Love the North Cork accent(As incounty ya ignorant f**ks :p)
    "Alri Lad"

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

There are so many accents in the county, it's incredible. Travel fifteen miles away from your starting point and you'll find something very different. The north Cork city accent is atrociously bad, the "daycent" accent as someone called it. I hate hearing it.

I don't know which is more horrible and/or embarrassing - that, or the inner city Dublin accent. Ugh.

Wasn't it Tommy Tiernan who once described the Cork accent as 'like tinkers trying to speak French'?
    I think this pretty much sums it up--brilliant video

Off topic, but how that dim witted f*cktard makes a living as a comedian I will never understand. Foulmouthed cnut ! (lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Apparently it's fairly easy to understand for foreigners aswell. People have said to me that they've spoken to other irish people and not understood a word they said but they understand me perfectly, I'm from Turner's Cross and I got the cork accent bai.

wow, thats a first. usually all my foreign friends who came here, tell me that their first reaction to the local accents was like: "omfgggg i wanna go home, what am i doing here, i cant understand a word, omgggg i cant understand any of this english"....
    And i must say that was my first reaction about cork accent too, lol:P I panic'ed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm English, and married to a Norrie who has the strongest Cork accent ever!! I'm married to the guy and don't always understand him which causes more than a few rows....

When he first met my family and friends, it was absolutely hilarious watching them trying to work out what he was saying. I felt like a translator...

The best part was when he met my sister who's from Barbados and has a very strong accent too. The pair of them were chatting away, so in the end I asked if she understood him. The answer was 'Yes perfectly, now go away!!'

But for all that - I LOVE Cork accents even if I sometimes have a hard time understanding them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Awful accent, makes them sound like simpletons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Noffles wrote: »
    Awful accent, makes them sound like simpletons.

Really?? Why do you think that???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Really?? Why do you think that???:confused:

It just does, a bit lazy and drawly, I obviously know that they are not all simpletons as I deal with a large number of very intelligent people in Cork, it's just how it sounds to me...

Noffles wrote: »
    It just does, a bit lazy and drawly, I obviously know that they are not all simpletons as I deal with a large number of very intelligent people in Cork, it's just how it sounds to me...

Gee thanks, you know that we are not all simpletons. Wtf are you doing in the Cork City forum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

grenache wrote: »
    Ooh i dont know about that. My Dutch friend has better than perfect English and he says he finds some Cork accents very hard to understand. Its probably down to the speed with which people talk. He thinks Galway and Dublin are the most easily understood Irish accents and i'd tend to agree with him.

I've heard this too. Some Cork people talk very fast and it can be hard to understand even for other Irish people. The same can be said for a north Donegal accent. Its just a bit sweeter to listen too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I don't think I have a very strong Cork accent. Other Irish people I knew in Wales thought it was very neutral but sometimes English/Welsh people would misunderstand what I was saying. For some reason I would go for weeks without this happening but some days it would seem like I was repeating every second thing I was saying.

I knew 2 lads from Cork over in Wales and we would meet up for drinks every now and then. I think our accents sort of came out a bit more when we were together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Danny_

Anyone here from the wesht? I thought the accent was well done.

"Kerry GAA animals in West Cork" courtesy The People's Republic of Cork
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPHRH11TTc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Only ever hear that about Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

FearDark wrote: »
    Depends which Cork accent really, theres a knackerish one and one that sounds kinda posh, I knew a guy from Montenotte who's accent used go through my head.

That would have been the knackerish one then:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement