Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cork Accent .... The worse or the best in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 NYC353

You gotta love the Cork accent. I'm home from New York for a holiday and I could walk up and down St. Patrick's Street all day listening to the accent.

Going to the Park on Sunday too to hear the chants I miss most

oh 2, oh 2 b, oh 2 b a ....rebel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

NYC353 wrote: »
    You gotta love the Cork accent. I'm home from New York for a holiday and I could walk up and down St. Patrick's Street all day listening to the accent.

Going to the Park on Sunday too to hear the chants I miss most

oh 2, oh 2 b, oh 2 b a ....rebel!

A sunshine supporter ?
    oh ya thats the new thing now so.......
    back for the championship ?
    Where were you for the league, New York ha !! 5 hours away .....what kind of excuse is that........I often walks 5 hrs to me junior b training

Meself and the auld doll cant get a ticket at all at all,
    probably have to buy one off some jackeen scanger in between his flag and choclate selling gigs on the centre park road

If I see ya down there or hear a gammy yankee accent I'll bate the head off ya !

sound,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

In reality, there is no such thing as a ''Cork accent'', only different variants of a common sound from within the county. There may be a particular accent from within the Cork dialect that may sound crude, but you can't lump the rest of the accents in with that one. Someone from Mitchelstown sounds totally different to somebody from Macroom. A person from Charleville sounds a lot different from someone from Youghal. Then you have two or three different accents within the city itself.

I think in general, the accents you find on Leeside are a lot more bearable than on other parts of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryanah

Brilliant!

How I remember it was...

Are you from Cork,

I am, are you?

Hows you potatoes?

Big and small

How do you ate um?

Skins and all

Do they choke you

Era not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Weh I was on the J1 lots of Americans thought I was from Scotland...how do you confuse the scottish from the Cork accent! My fellow cork men were apparently easier to understand, I think most of it was the pace I spoke at.

Funnisest incident I was coming back from Mexico after Irish night(wednesdays were irish nights, the clubs were full of Irish in mexico, all the ways to the US just to go to a Mexican Havanas :rolleyes:) and was walking with a random american guy to find my way back to the border. Chating away to him for 10 minutes or so and he turns around
    "I'm getting reaaal sick of you calling me BOY!!", didn't even know I was saying it! I quickly explained to him cork and biy and he was like "oh so it's kinda like bro here, that's cool so" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

http://www.youtube.com/v/jvbujX4hXOg

This thread reminds me of this ad for some reason:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Used to find the accent difficult to understand, must of been the bad version. Dating a guy now from Cork and well the accent makes me melt....SWIT SWOO

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think people put it on way more when away from cork! It's quite funny. In cork itself I don't notice it as much, I kinda talk like people when they have a different accent, love when talking to a cork person because of that

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I think people put it on way more when away from cork!

I dunno is it that, I think people just think they do because it's surrounded by non cork accents. Similarly while in Cork it's the norm, so not noticed.
    When I returned from my J1 I went into a shop here to buy something, honestly thought your man was taking the piss because it appeared he had the most diddily-i accent I had ever heard! No-one else with me found it strange...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

haha. Dunno, just much more pronounced when away from there, like if I only see the one person there, they still sound much less corkian or w/e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

"I'm getting reaaal sick of you calling me BOY!!"

That reminds me of the apocryphal story of the Cork man on the H1B visa in the US who was fired for saying to his black colleague "Here, boy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Similarly while in Cork it's the norm, so not noticed.

People hear the accents around them as normal after a while.

In general terms the Cork accent, like the Scottish accent, is nice when middle class ( I dont mean Montenotte, that is weird) and not understandable when working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Pittens wrote: »
    In general terms the Cork accent, like the Scottish accent, is nice when middle class ( I dont mean Montenotte, that is weird) and not understandable when working class.

Ahem

We do not have a working class in Cork, that is why god put the other 31 yokes on the isle

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I think a strong inner city Cork accent is bad (as with Dublin), and difficult to comprehend, but the average accent is ok I think.
    For me, the accent of any northern county beats all the rest for irritation of my ears, it's so whiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

There's a huge variety of accents within cork. Locals probably hear that more acutely. I've heard worse accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

While I wouldn't say it's the best accent in Ireland, it's certainly not the worst. As a Galwegian living in Cork I quite like the Cork accent. It's a lot easier on the ears than many other accents in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xemmsx

Whenever I see my family that are from other parts of Ireland, they are always so disappointed with my lack of a cork accent:confused: ( I think its because if I had an accent they would slag me even more from being cork (I find when you're from the rebel county its like an open invitation for people to take the **** out of ya!.. I dont mind though im well able to protect the pride of my county))

but then whenever Im in a foreign country and I meet other people from Ireland they all say "I could tell you were from cork a hundred yards away!":)

this makes no sense what-so-ever to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Bundasbar wrote: »
    Used to find the accent difficult to understand, must of been the bad version. Dating a guy now from Cork and well the accent makes me melt....SWIT SWOO

I take it back, its a horrible accent.....(yes its all over hahaha)

Advertisement