Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike robbed earlier...what to do?

• 21-04-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Hows it going?

Some of use might remember I posted in here about 2/3 weeks ago looking for advice on buying a bike and I both the carrera subway from halfords.

In anyway I have been cycling to college (Bolton Street) for the past week and im loving it, cycled in this morning, locked it up where I have always locked it amongst all the other bikes, finished college going to collect the bike and it was gone! Chain and everything!

Im fumming, so angry and also devastated! :(

Is there anything I can do? Report it to the Garda or will they not be bothered with it or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

If you had it on house insurance(not sure if you're renting) you'll need to report to the gardai ( I wouldn't bother otherwise though). Atlernatively, there's a couple of places around Dublin, one in parnell st. that might be able to sell you something similar, if they've been sold something similar recently ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

What a b*mmer.

Don't have any advice regarding getting it back, I'm afraid.

If you feel up to it, you may want to read the wiki (http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security). Basically, you need to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

keep an eye on adverts.ie and ebay, perhaps your bike will turn up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I thought Bolton Street was quite secure (The DIT that is).

Did it have like a piece of paper taped to the top tube by any chance???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

kona wrote: »
    Did it have like a piece of paper taped to the top tube by any chance???

What does that mean? Is that your smart way of asking was it locked??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

new bikes are stolen for obvious reasons, best to rough them up a bit especially if its a few hundred euro job from halfords, and as someone said the trick is to make it harder/more hassle to nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Danye wrote: »
    What does that mean? Is that your smart way of asking was it locked??

Its my smart arse way of trying to help you. Obviously the scumbag I saw on a new subway 1 at around 2.30 today had nothing to do with you.

So much for trying to help people.

Your bike was robbed, what the **** do you think you should do? Go ****ing look for it, report it to the gardai. Do you want me to take yer hand?

That scumbag who sells cars opp the Zhivago building would be my 1st call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

kona wrote: »
    Its my smart arse way of trying to help you. Obviously the scumbag I saw on a new subway 1 at around 2.30 today had nothing to do with you.

So much for trying to help people.

Your bike was robbed, what the **** do you think you should do? Go ****ing look for it, report it to the gardai. Do you want me to take yer hand?

That scumbag who sells cars opp the Zhivago building would be my 1st call.

Sorry I read that wrong the first time, apologies.

Maybe that was it...what direction did he go?

Im heading out no to look for it,I just hope I dont see somebody who also has one and assume that its my one.

Thanks for the help and sorry again for jumping in the way I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AvidIrishReader

Danye wrote: »
    Sorry I read that wrong the first time, apologies.

Maybe that was it...what direction did he go?

Im heading out no to look for it,I just hope I dont see somebody who also has one and assume that its my one.

Thanks for the help and sorry again for jumping in the way I did.

Did you have the frame number and photograph of it? Definitely report it to the Guards. I had one stolen in 2005, and three weeks later the Guards recovered it - because I have the frame number and gave them a photo. They're not totally useless.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

me@ucd wrote: »
    new bikes are stolen for obvious reasons, best to rough them up a bit
    You could add mudflaps made from cut-up milk jugs. I think that makes the bike considerably less attractive. Well, it definitely made my bike look worse.

(Much cleaner after riding on wet roads though.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Did you lock it at the front or King Inn Street lock up? Security may be of help if it was front, although that's a very loose may as I've heard the security lad does nothing. Actually he's not really a security, more of an attendant. Sorry to hear that anyway.

Advertisement