Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Week's photo mash-up "Cyclize Your City"

• 21-04-2010 5:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the Department of Transport, thought some people here would be interested.

Current list of planned Bike Week events are listed at the end too.
    Press release 21 April 2010

Minister Cuffe announces Cyclize Your City
    Bike Week’s photo mash-up bringing a new vision of cycling to Ireland

Mr Ciaran Cuffe T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Transport, today announced details of Cyclize Your City, Bike Week’s photo mash-up competition which aims to demonstrate a new vision of a cycling culture in Ireland. National Bike Week 2010 takes place nationwide in the period 13 – 20 June this year.

From today, cycling enthusiasts, graphic designers, photographers – in fact everyone – will be able to log on to www.cyclizeyourcity.ie and present their own vision of our streets as cycle friendly zones. Using either stock photographs, which are available on-line, or their own photographs, participants will be asked to “photoshop” them to reflect how they could look as cycling replaces the car as our most popular form of transport. Participants will be only limited by their imaginations and, of course, good taste!

The competition closes on 1 June and the winner will receive a prize of €1,000. In addition, the best entrants will see their work go on display around Dublin for three weeks after Bike Week on a variety of billboards. It is also expected that an exhibition of the best entries will travel around the country in various venues to be announced. Images produced will also be available to view on-line at www.cyclizeyourcity.ie and through www.bikeweek.ie.

“Bike Week”, said Minister Cuffe, “was a real success last year – but this year, it is going to be even bigger and more diverse. We are making a concerted effort to broaden the appeal of Bike Week and the numbers of people who can participate in some way. The Cyclize Your City competition is one of the more innovative ways of spreading the word that cycling is the transport mode of the future.”

The winner of the Cyclize Your City competition will be announced at an awards ceremony in Gallery Number One during Bike Week as part of a full programme of events that will be announced over the coming weeks. The events currently include:

Sunday 13 June The Wicklow 200 Cycle Challenge
    Wednesday 16 June National COW Day (Cycle on Wednesdays)
    Friday 18 June Bike to Work Day
    Saturday 19 June An Post’s Tour de Burren
    Sunday 20 June Family focused closing event in the Phoenix Park.

Details of Bike Week’s Cyclize Your City competition can be accessed through www.bikeweek.ie or directly at www.cyclizeyourcity.ie.

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I wonder whether the rescinding of the SI that makes cycle tracks compulsory will take place in time for Bike Week. I also wonder at this stage whether it's going to happen at all.

Edit: Getting people involved like this is a nice idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Interesting idea. Not sure about some of the T&Cs though.

Entrants/winners agree that any or all such elements may be used by the Promoter in any and all media in perpetuity throughout Ireland as the Promoter in its sole discretion sees fit.

Fair enough if you win the prize, but the right to use content from all entrants forever without any payment.... hmmm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I wonder whether the rescinding of the SI that makes cycle tracks compulsory will take place in time for Bike Week. I also wonder at this stage whether it's going to happen at all.

I'm guessing here, but I imagine there was a lot of opposition to the idea from local authorities. If not others too. At least I'm not hopeful the mandatory use will be removed altogether, they could do something like have mandatory use outside rush hours or just for larger groups etc.

Looking at cycle lanes in Dublin area, removing mandatory use just goes against too much of what the planners have and are continue to do.

TBH I would not be surprised if the current non-legal, non-mandatory cycle lanes were made legal and mandatory.

I hope I am wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

You mean local councils want to force us to use badly designed and maintained cycle lanes as a way of defending their ineptitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I really think the "Vote Yes for Euro" featuring Raam and Tonto is a fitting caption of cycling in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oooohh, interested!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

3888921721_520b0de81c.jpg

chakattack wrote: »
    You mean local councils want to force us to use badly designed and maintained cycle lanes as a way of defending their ineptitude?

I'm saying it's a possibility.

Removing mandatory use would go against a lot of what has been built and rebuilt in recent years.

I'm not talking about legacy designs, but designs built in the last few years. Many in the last year alone. And in Dublin City Council, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, and South Dublin. Large stretches of road on some of the main routes in Dublin.

You're reversing this.

Worst still the Department of Transport would be saying that the work by the council is so bad it's often dangerous.

They would be annoying a lot of powerful people from the planning departments to county / city managers.

monument wrote: »

Worst still the Department of Transport would be saying that the work by the council is so bad it's often dangerous.

They would be annoying a lot of powerful people from the planning departments to county / city managers.

That sounds plausible. But it's sort of amusing that they'd be so sensitive about the perception of facilities that they spent so little time designing. And that they keep following awful designs that they invented themselves, having spent no time researching how countries with a history of designs do them.

Ah well. I'll just have to keep flouting that law, I suppose. They pretend to build usable facilities, and we don't even pretend to use them. It's so unfair. God love them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Removing mandatory use would go against a lot of what has been built and rebuilt in recent years.

Bike lanes that are poorly built, not maintained and badly planned.
    I'm not talking about legacy designs, but designs built in the last few years. Many in the last year alone. And in Dublin City Council, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, and South Dublin. Large stretches of road on some of the main routes in Dublin.

So am I
    You're reversing this.

Heres hoping :D

That won't happen, the government, agreeing with the general public, your having a laugh. Annoying people who haven't been doing their job properly, I think your mistaking us with a country that has a conscience

• Advertisement

The infuriating thing is that there was no need to make them mandatory. The UK, which has very similar crappy cycle lanes, doesn't make them mandatory. Even an attempt to suggest in the Highway Code that cyclists should use them was fought tooth and nail.

But here ... Bobby Molloy, member of PDs, for whom a very small proportion of the populace have ever voted, gets the Environment ministry and then passes this law by statutory instrument, so it never even gets debated in the Dail. I wasn't aware for over a year after Bobby Molloy signed it into law that the cycle tracks had become mandatory.

I had a correspondence with Labour's Roisin Shortall about it before the last election, and she vaguely replied that she didn't think the compulsion should go entirely, as then cyclists would have carte blance to use the road as they wished. So that wasn't a very helpful correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The bike lane after Templeogue village is like an offroad track! and the cycle lane thru the village goes along the footpath and in front a pub, you have to slow right down. I think the lanes are getting worse from all the extra cyclists that seem to be out, theyre all breaking up

Coming from Dun Laoghaire towards Dublin I came across a massive crater in the cycle lane! luckily I saw it in time, if it was on the main road they'd prob fix it but its fine for the cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

These arguments have been done to death. Forget about it. Let's introduce the city to the bright happy side of cycling.
    Let's get the picture if the lads as the official photo of cycle week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I like the idea of people submitting photos of bicycle-oriented cities. Apart from anything else it'll be interesting, and possibly very worrying, to see what people perceive as being bike oriented/friendly. What I don't like though is the site's promotion of the us versus them attitude as represented by this sentence on their home page:
    Imagine the streets of Belfast, the stone walled roads of Galway and your city's quays taken over by the motor car's greatest rival: Man and his bicycle.

If there is one thing no city needs, it's a reinforcement of the idea that the roads are the venue for some sort of battle between cyclists and drivers. Apart from anything else it's a mindset that'll hardly encourage nervous people to migrate towards cycling from other modes of transport.

doozerie wrote: »
    If there is one thing no city needs, it's a reinforcement of the idea that the roads are the venue for some sort of battle between cyclists and drivers. Apart from anything else it's a mindset that'll hardly encourage nervous people to migrate towards cycling from other modes of transport.

+1 on that, why would they try and segregate us? kinda defeats the purpose.

Also that photo above should be uploaded, there are no other entries so far so it may well win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also that photo above should be uploaded, there are no other entries so far so it may well win

Done.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    Done.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    :eek:

Don't worry, it won't win - there's a saddlebag on Raam's bike.

I think the caption is going to go right over their heads. It'll be gas if it appears on the site though. No sign of it yet.

My entry:

3716014781_5ffc0ca186_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

that's about as Euro as a saddle bag can get
    B1067.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

daragh_ wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Not sure about some of the T&Cs though.

Entrants/winners agree that any or all such elements may be used by the Promoter in any and all media in perpetuity throughout Ireland as the Promoter in its sole discretion sees fit.

Fair enough if you win the prize, but the right to use content from all entrants forever without any payment.... hmmm

The T&C are pretty standard for competitions like this, from my own (limited) experience. At least there's no 'exclusive use' condition, i.e. presumably the artist doesn't hand over all rights to the artwork.

Other than that, I'll just say a big fat PLUS ONE to the following:
    ROK ON wrote: »
    These arguments have been done to death. Forget about it. Let's introduce the city to the bright happy side of cycling.

Isn't there already a thread (or two, or three...) on cycle lanes, mandatory use, and the mindsets (whether you believe it's ineptitude or a malicious conspiracy :rolleyes:) of cycle facility designers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

press launches - why do they bother

ooh ooh i know lets hold on to some (crap ) bikes

100127_N2_013%20MXs_1_0.jpg

ROK ON wrote: »
    Let's get the picture if the lads as the official photo of cycle week.

Poor cycle tracks and mantory use haven't gone away you know! :)

having good law and urban design will improve making the happy side of cycling a reality for more people.

Apologies for derailing the thread somewhat.

Just on that subject (without wishing to continue to derail), I noticed this in the April newsletter of the Dublin Cycling Campaign.

http://www.dublincycling.com/sites/dublincycling.ie/files/users/12/2010-04-Dublin_Cycling_Campaign_Newsletter.pdf
    We also managed to persuade the Department of Transport to make flashing LED lights on bikes legal and remove the mandatory use of bike lanes provision (due to be removed imminently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annaos

Just saw there that the competition has been extended another week or so...mite enter now! dono if could compete with this entry though!! Bit mad!

http://cyclizeyourcity.ie/gallery.php?entry=43&page=1

annaos wrote: »
    Just saw there that the competition has been extended another week or so...mite enter now! dono if could compete with this entry though!! Bit mad!

http://cyclizeyourcity.ie/gallery.php?entry=43&page=1
    el tonto wrote: »
    3888921721_520b0de81c.jpg

Time to complain, the euro pic is not up there,

Advertisement