Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Mourinho be coaching next season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

peabutler wrote: »
    Man City won't sack Mancini if he makes Champions League.

This is City we're talking about.theres has been doubts hanging over mancini's head ever since he took the job,contract length etc.

Anyway I could never see him at City or even at United in the foreseeable future.Inter next season I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

a year at madrid and then off to old trafford is my guess, i just cant see him staying at inter next season...

i think i'd cry if he goes to united, then go to some remote village in africa and never hear anything about soccer again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

For some reason I can really see Jose at Liverpool. Not saying its going to happen but the lure of the manager getting liverpool their first premier league really fits his m.o.

I don't get this obsession with Liverpool. Why are EPL isupporters n general and Liverpool fans in particular so convinced the world evolves around them?
    Do you honestly belive some Portuguese fella or some Spanish striker is there/considers going there for the fkn Kop and the tradition and 'the Pool' or whatever? I got news for you. It's all in your head. Mourinho doesn't give a sh1t whether Liverpool won the league last time last year or ten years ago or fifty years ago.

Well maybe he does. I'm not in his head. But honestly, it's highly fkn unlikely when you look at it in broad daylight isn't it? Liverpool better watch out they won't find themselves struggling to stay away from the bottom half of the table next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Boskowski wrote: »
    I don't get this obsession with Liverpool. Why are EPL isupporters n general and Liverpool fans in particular so convinced the world evolves around them?
    Do you honestly belive some Portuguese fella or some Spanish striker is there/considers going there for the fkn Kop and the tradition and 'the Pool' or whatever? I got news for you. It's all in your head. Mourinho doesn't give a sh1t whether Liverpool won the league last time last year or ten years ago or fifty years ago.

Yeah I do believe people go their for the presige of the club. I got news for you that's your opinion, not fact. No I doubt Mourinho at the moment cares about Liverpool, but if he was to take the job I am sure he would. Same with Torres when he was at Madrid I doubt he cared but when he came to the club I am sure he did. Yep us Liverpool fans think the world revolves around us. You know that volcano that went off? It only went off cause us Liverpool fans wanted it to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Yeah I do believe people go their for the presige of the club. I got news for you that's your opinion, not fact. No I doubt Mourinho at the moment cares about Liverpool, but if he was to take the job I am sure he would. Same with Torres when he was at Madrid I doubt he cared but when he came to the club I am sure he did. Yep us Liverpool fans think the world revolves around us. You know that volcano that went off? It only went off cause us Liverpool fans wanted it to happen.

ye I don't believe that. Not in this day and age. Just too much money in this game for any kind of honor and allegiance and loyalty to be left in it. Not for the very top guys anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

ye I don't believe that. Not in this day and age. Just too much money in this game for any kind of honor and allegiance and loyalty to be left in it. Not for the very top guys anyway.

That's some people, not everyone. A lot of players will go where the money goes and a lot of players will stay at their club cause they love the club, but those people don't sell newspapers, you won't see a newspaper say "BREAKING NEWS: Hugo Lloris likes his club so stays" it will always be about the Gareth Barry's of the world.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mourinho has probably made 50 million in the last 5 years - if he wants to take on a project for other reasons then it's more than feesable. Grand if you want to look at everything in a super cynical light, and for the most part about modern football your right, but even if Barca are the far better team in recent years, there is huge prestige in going to real etc.

From does of us not directly involved in the game it's hard to comment, I would reckon that for many there are a list of clubs that they grew up with, that they know their own friends and families hold as the pinnacle of achievement.

I'm not saying that's Liverpool, but I think to dismiss history is something easy to do from our shoes as supporters but as Manager with as much money in his pocket as anyone could want, with a CV that stands up (based on his time in management) with anyone in world football, then he's in a position to fullfil whatever dreams he sees fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I reckon Mourinho will stay at Inter for one more year and then take over at Man Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Frisbee wrote: »
    Newcastle?

Newcastle?

Methinks lads were having a laugh with this. There's as much chance of me winning euromillions on friday night as Mourinho going to Newcastle.

I think if he does leave Inter he will probably go to Real. The Liverpool job would interest him if he could be given a few quid to buy players and put his own stamp on things. But given Liverpool's financial woes I don't think they could even afford him. Pool are stuck with Rafa for now due to that silly big contract they gave him.

It will be intersting to see if Mourinho actually fancies the United job when it becomes available. I'm not so sure. He's a shrewd operator and he knows very well that whoever takes over from Ferguson is on a hiding to nothing. But if Inter win the CL he's out of there, and Real are the obvious choice since Pellegrini will be out the door in the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think it's inevitable that he goes to Newcastle

Dave! wrote: »
    I think it's inevitable that he goes to Newcastle

Well it's fair to say that a few other managers have been sucked in by the lure of managing that 'big club' called Newcastle United! But I think Mourinho would have more sense. To be fair to NUFC Chris Hughton seems to be doing a good job there and he's definitely steadied the ship, albeit in the slightly easier surroundings of the championship. Imagine if Mourinho went there coupled with new filthy rich owners? Not really the circus they need, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have no clue where he will be. I would think though that if he decides to leave Inter that Manchester City is a very likely destination. If Ferguson retires then United might even be a bigger likelyhood.

He has hinted that he is done in Italy, can't see him going to Real Madrid. He was with Barca under Bobby Robson and I think he would love to coach at the Nou Camp but there is no chance of that happening in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

He has said he doesn't like it in Italy on many occassions and said he wants to return to England and also said he wants to win a la liga. Madrid is his only option in Spain IMO and no one gets long there so he'll wait there till fergie retires!

That just makes the most sense to me, but I hope it doesn't happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unles he quits, he will be at Inter next season, if he quits I think he will take time off and only come back when and where he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pretty sure Jose has said its his ambition is to win La Liga. In turn being the first manager to win Seria A, Premier League and La Liga.

he has, but he has plenty of time for that

IMO he will want to coach barcelona, to go back and show them how good he is.

I have always thought he would go to united but he wont hang around. You wonder should united be looking at him now. I know they wouldnt never sack ferguson but id say there have been a few thoughts that it would be handy if he stepped down this summer and allowed them to chase mourinho

I think he'll end up at City tbh. Can see him being tempted, the chance to build a new team and "knock United from their perch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mourinho wants the United job. It's clear to all imo. The question is is he willing to wait for Fergie to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if he can stomach the Italian league for another year or two, he'll do that.

if he hates it as much as he seems to, and wins the Champions League, i suspect the odds are he'll leave the job this year.

and it's plain for all to see that he wants the Utd job.

so it depends when Fergie wants to step down, and how long José is willing to wait. is he willing to simply take time off and wait for the job? will he go to Spain in the meantime?

i mean he's on record as saying he also wants the Portugal job as his last job, as well as winning La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

PHB wrote: »
    Mourinho wants the United job. It's clear to all imo. The question is is he willing to wait for Fergie to retire.

Another question or questions are Do United want Mourinho?, Do United fans want Mourinho. In the past I would have said No but looking around at other candidates he is probably the only man who can handle a swift regime change after God being in charge for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think he'll join Man Utd next year and stay on at Inter, esp if they win the CL. No idea who Real would get in mind you, although I think Pellegrini will be allowed stay on if they win La Liga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

although I think Pellegrini will be allowed stay on if they win La Liga

ok, I'd like to introduce you to Real Madrid sometime, you obviously haven't met before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mayordenis wrote: »
    Mourinho has probably made 50 million in the last 5 years - if he wants to take on a project for other reasons then it's more than feesable. Grand if you want to look at everything in a super cynical light, and for the most part about modern football your right, but even if Barca are the far better team in recent years, there is huge prestige in going to real etc.

From does of us not directly involved in the game it's hard to comment, I would reckon that for many there are a list of clubs that they grew up with, that they know their own friends and families hold as the pinnacle of achievement.

I'm not saying that's Liverpool, but I think to dismiss history is something easy to do from our shoes as supporters but as Manager with as much money in his pocket as anyone could want, with a CV that stands up (based on his time in management) with anyone in world football, then he's in a position to fullfil whatever dreams he sees fit.

Liverpool are a team in decline - why would he go to a skint club with a pretty average squad. Mourinho will only go to a club that will give him plenty of cash and plenty of cash to spend so as of now there isnt a hope he will go to Liverpool. Only if some rich Arab buys Liverpool and floods them with cash would he even consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    Mourinho wants the United job. It's clear to all imo.

What makes you say this? If anything it's pretty clear he has a soft spot for Liverpool. He wanted to the Liverpool job after Porto and was enraged when it ended up going to Benitez. Remember this?
    "Liverpool are a team that interests everyone and Chelsea does not interest me so much because it is a new project with lots of money invested in it." (2004)

And now there are noises about him waiting to see what happens in Hicks, Gillet and Benitez triangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mourinho will not got to a club outside of the Champions league and that doesn't have a decent shot of winning the title.

Mourinho is more worried about his CV and legacy then anything else, moving to a club where he couldn't challenge for the major titles, would be too risky to him. I honestly think he would rather not work, then to do that.

Mourinho also talks alot, he has made it clear he is pretty much available to any big club who can match his ambitions.

Take these links about United.

Link 1
    Lose Mourinho has said he would be interested in taking over at Old Trafford once Sir Alex Ferguson retires. When asked if he would consider the role, the former Chelsea manager said: "Who can say no? Nobody could say no. Manchester United belongs to a small group of clubs around the world where nobody can say no."

Link 2
    "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson," he told the Daily Mirror. "If they do, then of course.

He has said numerous times that he wants to win the La Liga so that is an open invitation to Real, and Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

going to madrid would be a huge mistake in more ways than one, given his style of play he wouldn't last more than a year there no matter how much he wins re:capello. the real board want their teams to win but more importantly win in style

going to man utd would also be a mistake, when ferguson leaves his legacy will increase 10 or 20 fold in the fans eyes, nothing he did will have been wrong

Well maybe he does. I'm not in his head. But honestly, it's highly fkn unlikely when you look at it in broad daylight isn't it? Liverpool better watch out they won't find themselves struggling to stay away from the bottom half of the table next year.

Well considering Mourinho supports Liverpool I would guess he does.In Carraghers book he mentions that Mourinho either had a Liverpool phone cover or background on his phone when he coached Porto and he supports Liverpool.

When he was linked to Chealsea to begin with he also said Liverpool would be the more interesting club for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Man Utd job post Ferguson will be the most poisonous of chalices, particularly if there is still an element of financial instability surrounding the club as per the current status quo.

Of course that doesn't rule out Mourinho and his giant ego taking it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Jose certainly has a fondness for Liverpool. But he certainly does not "support" Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the beat groups he likes, Jose came within a Gnats whisper of managing Liverpool in 2004 - he was on the shortlist (having been in touch with Liverpools CEO in early 2004) while also in discussion with Roman Abramovich. The checkbook won the arguement and Liverpool looked elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tbh, I think if people are being objective Liverpool would be way down the list of jobs he is likely to end up in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    The checkbook won the arguement and Liverpool looked elsewhere.

By most accounts, and heavily suggested by Mourinho himself above, he initially wanted the Liverpool job. But Parry and co. seemingly dilly dallied and didn't produce a concrete offer in time.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think if people are being objective Liverpool would be way down the list of jobs he is likely to end up in.

Not necessarily, they are a club with a hugely successful history afterall, and Mourinho is a man with a huge ego. To take a club like Liverpool back to the top and go down in history along with Paisley and Shankley would be right up his alley imo. He wont go to them with the current ownership mess, but if the American's sell and the debt burden reduced he could be tempted I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Parry hummed and hawed that would be no surprise at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well considering Mourinho supports Liverpool I would guess he does.In Carraghers book he mentions that Mourinho either had a Liverpool phone cover or background on his phone when he coached Porto and he supports Liverpool.

When he was linked to Chealsea to begin with he also said Liverpool would be the more interesting club for him.

That sounds like a good book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not necessarily, they are a club with a hugely successful history afterall, and Mourinho is a man with a huge ego. To take a club like Liverpool back to the top and go down in history along with Paisley and Shankley would be right up his alley imo. He wont go to them with the current ownership mess, but if the American's sell and the debt burden reduced he could be tempted I'd say.
    I agree with this.

If the United board want him as the next United manager, they need to get in ahead of Liverpool.

If Benitez walks in the summer, there is a very good chance he would take the liverpool job. however much i think he wants the United job, he won;t simply hang around for it and I reckon he would love taking Liverpool back to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can see him ending up at Real Madrid. He's said he wants to manage in La Liga and Pellegrini looks a good bet to get the bullet. I can see them going all out to bring him in during the summer.

I agree with this.

If the United board want him as the next United manager, they need to get in ahead of Liverpool.

If Benitez walks in the summer, there is a very good chance he would take the liverpool job. however much i think he wants the United job, he won;t simply hang around for it and I reckon he would love taking Liverpool back to the top.

With the Real Madrid job his for the asking, same with the City job, potentially the Barca job if rumours about Pep stepping down are to be believed, probably only one more year to wait for the United job.

Tbh with the state Liverpool are in and the options available to him I'd say there's no chance.

I've no doubt Mourinho would like the Liverpool job. As someone else mentioned, taking Liverpool back to the top and going down in history as an Anfield legend would be right up Mourinho's street. But it's unlikely he'd go there unless and until there was new ownership and a bit of $$$ to spend. Not to mention CL football.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Man Utd job post Ferguson will be the most poisonous of chalices, particularly if there is still an element of financial instability surrounding the club as per the current status quo.

Of course that doesn't rule out Mourinho and his giant ego taking it anyway.

That's more or less what I was alluding to in an earlier post. That the United job will be all but impossible for the next person after Ferguson. How do you follow what he has done? You can't. It will certainly take a strong character to even attempt to fill Fergie's shoes, but Mourinho is one of the very few managers with the ability and the king-sized to ego actually try.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I've no doubt Mourinho would like the Liverpool job. As someone else mentioned, taking Liverpool back to the top and going down in history as an Anfield legend would be right up Mourinho's street. But it's unlikely he'd go there unless and until there was new ownership and a bit of $$$ to spend. Not to mention CL football.

Well what you're really saying is that Mourinho would like an imaginary job with an imaginary rich, Champions League team that happens to be called Liverpool.

In reality, all the club has going for it at the moment is this much vaunted history. If that on its own would be enough to get him to take the job then fair enough, but if not people are dreaming because the rest of the infrastructure just isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle? Are you for fcuking serious? Hahahaha.

Not even the most hardcore delusional Toon fan has said Mourinho for Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Well what you're really saying is that Mourinho would like an imaginary job with an imaginary rich, Champions League team that happens to be called Liverpool.

In reality, all the club has going for it at the moment is this much vaunted history. If that on its own would be enough to get him to take the job then fair enough, but if not people are dreaming because the rest of the infrastructure just isn't there.

Oh I agree, and I'm not a Liverpool fan in any case so there's no dreaming from me. Liverpool have nothing to tempt any of the top managers at the moment. No money, no CL football and owners that are despised by the fans. They may as well keep Rafa at that rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Liverpool a big club. How many times in his career is that job likely to be offered to him?

Liverpool a big club. How many times in his career is that job likely to be offered to him?

So is Newcastle and sure we all know how retarded a suggestion it would be for him to go there...oh wait...:pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Considering Liverpool's recent success compared to his career success, whenever he wants it really

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mourinho - Real Madrid or Inter
    Capello to Liverpool
    Benitez to Juventus
    Ancelotti to Italy
    Lippi to Chelsea
    Prandelli to Milan

So is Newcastle and sure we all know how retarded a suggestion it would be for him to go there...oh wait...:pac:
    Has football become that predictable. Who remembers when Chelsea were a middle of the road club in the eighties. Or even City. Now they have a lot of money behind them.
    Newcastle have always been seen as a big enough club. The point I was trying to make is it would be a good test of Mourinho's managerial skills to see if he can make something out of them again. Do you think it was retarded of Dalglish, Sounness, Shearer and Kevin Keegan to take up the job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Mourinho - Real Madrid or Inter
    Capello to Liverpool
    Benitez to Juventus
    Ancelotti to Italy
    Lippi to Chelsea
    Prandelli to Milan

What?

Is Capello's contract up after the WC? Even if it is, Capello wouldn't go to Liverpool. They can't afford him, at the moment anyway.

Ancelloti will stay with Chelsea. But Benitez will go to Juve alright.

Has football become that predictable. Who remembers when Chelsea were a middle of the road club in the eighties. Or even City. Now they have a lot of money behind them.
    Newcastle have always been seen as a big enough club. The point I was trying to make is it would be a good test of Mourinho's managerial skills to see if he can make something out of them again. Do you think it was retarded of Dalglish, Sounness, Shearer and Kevin Keegan to take up the job?

The title of this thread is "Where will Mourinho be coaching next season".

If you could take a second off from manically increasing your post count you might be able to accept the reality that Newcastle and Liverpool are probably equally attractive options to Mourinho at the moment and that he is extremely unlikely to be managing either club next season.

I doubt you can though, so never mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kraggy wrote: »
    What?

Is Capello's contract up after the WC? Even if it is, Capello wouldn't go to Liverpool. They can't afford him, at the moment anyway.

Ancelloti will stay with Chelsea. But Benitez will go to Juve alright.

Italy job is vacant after the WC. Who would you offer it to? I wonder would Jose take England?

The title of this thread is "Where will Mourinho be coaching next season".

If you could take a second off from manically increasing your post count you might be able to accept the reality that Newcastle and Liverpool are probably equally attractive options to Mourinho at the moment and that he is extremely unlikely to be managing either club next season.

I doubt you can though, so never mind :)
    But 19 posters disagree with you on Pool issue Keane2097. Why dont you take it up with them as well. Thread was set up. Opinions were asked for. Opinions were given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It would be a good test of Mourinho's managerial skills to manage newcastle to a bottom half finish.

It would be a good test of Mourinho's managerial skills to try and take (for example) City to the CL.

I know which of those prospects I'd go for...

• Advertisement
Advertisement