Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little boy and his little man

Options
  • 21-04-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A question for parents of boys. My youngest boy of 4 was complaining about pain when he went for a wee. On inspection I saw that his foreskin only retracts less than a 1/4 way over the tip of his penis.

I went to the doctor and he said it was quite normal and it should retract further as he grows. But he still gave a referral letter to get it checked.

Is this normal ? Anyone else have experience with this ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My wee man has a similar issue, it used to be much worse but after a referral to a paediatrician and urologist we are trying to avoid circumcision (something the doc was keen on) by getting the wee fella to retract the foreskin as far as he can each night to stretch it a bit and so far it's worked wonders.

The paediatrician will check for infections and make sure the foreskin isn't attached where it shouldn't be.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It seems to be quite normal. I dont have boys although was 16 when my youngest brother was born. I remember he was always in pain doing his business and did have to be circumcised. I have heard of it happen with other children too, friends kids etc. The procedure for my brother was quick, and not too painful, I remember a day or two of pain but after that he was fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

By what age is it supposed to retract? I was under the impression it was around 10 years old.

I remember my younger brother hurting himself trying to retract his to be like his daddy going to the toilet when he was 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

DinoBot wrote: »
    Hi,

A question for parents of boys. My youngest boy of 4 was complaining about pain when he went for a wee. On inspection I saw that his foreskin only retracts less than a 1/4 way over the tip of his penis.

I went to the doctor and he said it was quite normal and it should retract further as he grows. But he still gave a referral letter to get it checked.

Thanks.

My four year old is going in for a circumcision because his foreskin is too tight but his doesn't retract over the tip of his willy at all.
    He got an infection a few months ago and the doctor said it would have to come off. Went to a consultant who said the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

From what I understand it's not supposed to. It is attached and naturally unattaches gradually as they get older. Do not force it.

It could be inflammation or something in his diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

DinoBot wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Little brother had this and eventually had to be circumcised. I'll check back later after speaking with my Mum about how they handled it (no pun intended);).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Thanks for the replies ! I might as well get it checked out but sounds like its quite common. I just done remember it being an issue for my other two boys. I thought by the age of 4 it should be able to retract pretty much all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't think it's really supposed to retract all the way yet - but if it's ballooning when the wee guy pees, there could be an issue. Worth getting it checked out just in case! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The foreskin will fully retract in 95% of boys by aged 6.
    That figure sharply drops with decreased age, down to about 10% for boys aged 2.

In short, I don't think there is any need to worry yet about the foreskin not retracting. If the glans are even partially exposed then he should be able to urinate without issue.

If there is pain, it is most likely due to infection or injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polka

My son has the same problem and now we are waiting for apointment from hospital, he has just a really, really little hole in his penis and it's ballooning when he pee...he also had few infections when he was smaller...We were trying to stretch his foreskin when he was quite small, that's what our doctor said, but that just made the things worst.... I'm just wonder how long we'll wait for the treatment and how much it'll cost us, we have no medical cards, private insurance etc. Do You have any info about it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

My son is two and having the same problem, uses the toilet quite well. Retracts the same amount ;/. I was about to head the doctor because I thought maybe he has an uti. But then again, he plays with it so much I thought maybe he just tugs on it too much and pulling the skin :/.... I know though it will be a while before it goes all the way back. If he could just stop tugging it maybe he would be fine :). Boys and their bits.... *sigh*

Advertisement