Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reg plate inside front windshield - chancers?

• 21-04-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭

I've seen a small number of cars with their reg plate inside the front window.

Is this to avoid being caught by Gatso vans or M50 toll cameras?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You can have your reg plate anywhere on the front of the car, doesn't matter where :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't it have to be mounted vertically though?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    doesn't it have to be mounted vertically though?

Don't you mean horizontally?

wouldn't that mean it'd be sitting flat on the dash?

:D

I mean like should be sitting straight as opposed to at an angle like having it against the windscreen would be at an angle?

wouldn't that mean it'd be sitting flat on the dash?

:D

I mean like should be sitting straight as opposed to at an angle like having it against the windscreen would be at an angle?

FFS, say sitting on an edge, not all awkward vertical word :P

Nah, once you can read it well then you're sorted :D

Topic came up at the meet in Portlaoise (I brought it up;)), and someone....berty maybe, backed me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Vehicle registration plates must be affixed to the front and back of your vehicle and clearly visible at all times.
    Fines of up to €1,265 may be imposed by the Revenue Commissioners for registration plates that fail to comply with the law **
    Doesn't clarify what "front" is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Vehicle registration plates must be affixed to the front and back of your vehicle and clearly visible at all times.
    Fines of up to €1,265 may be imposed by the Revenue Commissioners for registration plates that fail to comply with the law

sorted, id easily save that in tolls and fines in a year i know what im doing

you'd have to do something about the rear plate too!

In the boot :pac:

you wouldn't want some guard pulling you over and giving you a stern talking to though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

biko wrote: »
    Doesn't clarify what "front" is.
    I doubt the windscreen could be considered the front of the car since its's usually behind the bonnet. Probably ok on a truck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The toll only takes a picture of the front though, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure they have rear cameras too just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i drive 4x4's, jus go out into a field and dirty up the rear something fierce :D then thoroughly clean the other 3 sides of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

They must have rear cameras too, we did an "excercise" in toll avoidance recently by tailing an artic, about five inches from it, no camera could have taken a photo of our reg, still got billed for it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm pretty sure they have rear cameras too just in case.

I dont think they do, ive a friend who drive throguh the toll a fair bit and reckons if u go behind a truck the cameras dnt get you. Not sure how true this is be hes said its worked for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ali Babba wrote: »
    They must have rear cameras too, we did an "excercise" in toll avoidance recently by tailing an artic, about five inches from it, no camera could have taken a photo of our reg, still got billed for it.:(

If you got another artic to tail you. you would be sorted:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

The Citroen SM had its reg behind a glass panel:

2214_19.JPG

2885068215_1d8df09dc8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

leggaly would the front be anything past the middle of the car?stick it to the sunroof :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

IIRC, The law states that once the plate is mounted horizontally and is visable from the front of the vehicle, then it is legal. can be inside the windscreen, mounted to the front of the roof etc, once it can be easily seen then its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

They're trade plates and cover garages which have them for motor tax, and VRT if new/import, so the car isn't lifted when taking a customer for a test drive.

Dublin bus have fleets of buses where the rear plate is several meters off the ground, no way a Gatso will get one of them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

IIRC, The law states that once the plate is mounted horizontally and is visable from the front of the vehicle, then it is legal. can be inside the windscreen, mounted to the front of the roof etc, once it can be easily seen then its grand.
    I see the ones lying flat on the dash. These cannot be funny seen if you are in a vehicle in front of such car. You'd have to be standing in front of the car to see the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Whyme

They dont have rear facing cameras on the M50 . During the recent snow my number plate was unfortunately covered with compacted snow and ice for a few days :rolleyes:and i got a few trips over the toll with no bill :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

no rear facing cameras on the m50 - the skeptic in me thinks this is why motorbikes are exempt from tolls

the plates inside front windshields are def not clearly visible from the front imo, glare from the windshield, partially obsured by the bonnet/wipers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Whyme wrote: »
    They dont have rear facing cameras on the M50 . During the recent snow my number plate was unfortunately covered with compacted snow and ice for a few days :rolleyes:and i got a few trips over the toll with no bill :P

That's what you think.. wait for that 5,000 euro bill in the morning post tomorrow :pac:

Advertisement