Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAIP launch

• 21-04-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I've heard some very mixed tales of their launch, over on Twitter. Would anyone care to share at length?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Care to explain what NAIP is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

They are a new photographer-advocate group who launched today in competition with the IPF and IPPA:

http://www.naip.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

A word of caution. Looking at their website might harm your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It'd be great to have a representative from each of the groups here to talk to the masses. Considering the amount of views both Boards.ie and the photography forum gets, it'd be a fantastic chance for them to improve public relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Lets start our own, BPAI, Boards Photography Association of Ireland.

I bagsy a spot on the judging panel;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

kensutz wrote: »

Site may be terrible,

But it does that this:
    http://www.canon.ie/ Need we say more

It's now perfect in my eyes :)

Lets start our own, BPAI, Boards Photography Association of Ireland.

I bagsy a spot on the judging panel
    Christ, no!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Christ, no!

Lol, Fajitas, are you saying I should not be on the panel...?

You are hereby banned from the club... You will no longer be considered professional as you are not a member!

Lol, Fajitas, are you saying I should not be on the panel...?

You are hereby banned from the club... You will no longer be considered professional as you are not a member!

I'm cussing at the idea of a Boards club, nevermind the judges!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

NAIP, IPPA, IPF...it reminds me of that Monty Python sketch..."Peoples front of Judea? My arse I'm the...yaddahyaddahyaddah".

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    NAIP, IPPA, IPF...it reminds me of that Monty Python sketch..."Peoples front of Judea? My arse I'm the...yaddahyaddahyaddah".

That has already been done to death in relation to this very topic...but it never gets any less funny.

Fenster wrote: »
    That has already been done to death in relation to this very topic...but it never gets any less funny.

Really? Ooppps.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

It actually is horrible! Just a few minutes in and my eyes hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Their site is down now.

It's up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

It's up for me.

bet you tell all the girls that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's up for me.
    Works in explorer but not in firefox for some reason

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Effects wrote: »
    Works in explorer but not in firefox for some reason

thats what she said

A summary has been posted of yesterday's launch: http://www.photographers.ie/2010/04/naip-launch/

Key points:
    • In what sounded like a pitch to the Irish suppliers in the room the first point addressed was that the NAIP is an Irish organisation.
    • The training programmes are aimed at amateurs and professionals – they plan to take in amateurs train them and qualify them.
    • Students will be welcome – at 100 euro per annum. The NAIP will afford students a possibility for work experience – an appraisal form will be completed by both the student and photographer.
    • They will pass on information to everyone – they will train everyone.
    • A big play was made on the fact that in the past speakers were brought in from UK, Europe and America – NAIP will train using Irish photographers – “because we are Celts – we are different.”
    • NAIP plan to promote extensively in the media – they will also be at wedding fairs promoting what to expect from professional wedding photographers and from “weekend warriors.”
    • Business information – tax, VAT etc – these are areas that they plan to cover.
    • Each member issued with photo card – where agreed discounts will be available
    • An eZine will be sent out but within the year and a printed magazine will be available later.
    • Kevin also outlined that they have secured sponsorship for “The Irish Wedding Photographer of the Year” (Nov)
    • Recap – Aiming at educating everyone – including the “weekend warrior”
      NAIP officially launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

A word of caution if anyone is walking the streets this weekend - "Beware the weekend warriors". NAIP are watching you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

A word of caution if anyone is walking the streets this weekend - "Beware the weekend warriors". NAIP are watching you

god almighty, between them and the IPPA I'm almost afraid to go outside with my camera !
    NAIP wrote:
    NAIP will train using Irish photographers – “because we are Celts – we are different.”

... and that is one of the more stupid things I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

... and that is one of the more stupid things I've seen in a while.

:pac: I'm Irish but I'm certainly not a Celt :p

So, if you are not a member of any of these organisations you must be a weekend warrior. Its great that my weekends are so long then isnt it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

lordy lordy

there is one nice thing about their website

lordy lordy

http://www.naip.ie/home/page7_files/tag-georgia-salpa002c-irishstar002c-the-mirror002c-theirishsun.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Are these the Judean People's Liberation Front? Or the people's Liberation Front of Judea?

Nice T&A, to be fair... But what does that have to do with anything?

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Barname wrote: »
    lordy lordy

there is one nice thing about their website

lordy lordy

http://www.naip.ie/home/page7_files/tag-georgia-salpa002c-irishstar002c-the-mirror002c-theirishsun.html

Are they f**king serious?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

sineadw wrote: »
    Are they f**king serious?!

They'll be in the Sunday World tomorrow, so they must be. :P

I just had a proper look at the site. There are typos all over the place, and they have all of six members. Count 'em - 6. Why on earth are they going for a big launch?? Not to mention the tone - warnings and restrictions all over the place.

I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon and slag them off, but now I'm just annoyed... Disastrous PR! I hope to *god* consumers aren't sucked in to it.

Sunday World sounds about right :rolleyes:

That is an inspired piece of marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

A summary has been posted of yesterday's launch: http://www.photographers.ie/2010/04/naip-launch/

Key points:
    From my pov this is all bollox to me.
    I like my Barry Delayney background....well if not his mine, I've had no 1 teach me anything, cept my dog Bruce on how to cock my leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I presume the Kevin Cummins mentioned isn't the Joy Division Kevin Cummins. That'd be fairly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

looking at the picture of the founders, they seriously did need the hot-chick to promote.

You'd think all 'togs were fat lumps of lard if theirs was the first photography site you stumbled across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

It appears to be just another professional photographers union really! I do like the idea of being defined as a Celtic Warrior though :pac:

Interesting their statement on educating Celtic Warriors though; would that lead to accreditation or some kind of qualification?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

sineadw wrote: »
    Why on earth are they going for a big launch??
    If you want to p155 with the big boys it's "think big be big". We're too quick to criticise in this country when we should celebrate our visionaries and learn from them. Fortune favours the brave and we're fortunate in this recession caused by foreigners that some Celts are still warriors 24/7, brave enough to put themselves out there with big launches like Cuil and Steorn. The NAIP launch was not that big but they're not bringing such profound paradigm shifts to the world so that's fine, they have ideas and they're taking action, what more do people want!

democrates wrote: »
    what more do people want!

A spellchecked website would be good. And actual members. More than six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anyone else get spammed by NAIP today?

Anyone else joining "Irelands fastest growing association for photographers"???

Paulw wrote: »
    Anyone else get spammed by NAIP today?

Anyone else joining "Irelands fastest growing association for photographers"???

Feic that, I'm not even worth spamming :mad::pac:

Covey wrote: »
    Feic that, I'm not even worth spamming :mad::pac:

Poor you.

Mind you, I could go straight in, and have my LNAIP right away, without even having to submit any photos to them. :D

And ... they sent me two emails, so they must really want me. LOL

Poor you.

Mind you, I could go straight in, and have my LNAIP right away, without even having to submit any photos to them. :D

And ... they sent me two emails, so they must really want me. LOL

Point taken ... Size matters :D;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

...But if I ever do, I'll know that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel!

- FoxT

• Advertisement

I just received another email from them now, advertising an art-nude workshop. Price for members - €50, price for non-members - €95.

4 hr workshop of 20 photographers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I just received another email from them now, advertising an art-nude workshop. Price for members - €50, price for non-members - €95.

4 hr workshop of 20 photographers.

Maybe they arent soo stupid sending the emails to you. After all, you are giving them all the necessary advertising on here ;):p:D

Advertisement