Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My body is desperately in need of some T.L.C!..on a budget..any ideas?

• 21-04-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Im 30... have totally let myself go recently, unemployed and just didnt have the motivation to look after myself properly.

ive started running and ive put my name down for a 10k in june so time to get myself back into a bit of shape. skin is dull...massive frown line on forehead and wrinkles are coming hard and fast.hair is lacking shine and i just could do with a real pampering session.

i cant afford spas and the likes ....any ideas on all over body moisturisers and wonder products that will bring about results fairly quickly...i have a date sat night and body feels like crap!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

You could try and get some coconut oil in the chemist for your hair. It's great for bringing up shine - just put some on dry hair, cover with a towel, leave it in for half an hour or so and wash out. Cheap as chips

Soak your nails in warm olive oil to sort out any dryness and give yourself a manicure. Have a search on beaut.ie for home made face packs and the like, I think I saw a few recipes on there. Get your eyebrows done if they need it!

Lush do a body bar called Aqua Mirabilis(sp?) which is a good body exfoiliator. I find Palmers Cocoa butter or oil is great as a body moisturiser, if you have a bit more to spend try Body Shop body butters. If you do all that you'll feel like a new woman! Good luck on Saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

^ Agree with above about the hard to spell Lush Body Bar, best exfoliator I have ever tried. I think it costs about nine euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

Get Rimmel nail varnish, the two you need for a french manicure. Ones for the white tips, the other is to go over that. They are about €6 each but you get a good few polishes out of them. I always feel better about myself when my nails are french manicured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Beffy wrote: »
    Get Rimmel nail varnish, the two you need for a french manicure. Ones for the white tips, the other is to go over that. They are about €6 each but you get a good few polishes out of them. I always feel better about myself when my nails are french manicured.

They're on 3 for 2 at the moment too :)

Fair play for getting fit and stuff! Takes guts! If you're doing it on the cheap, penneys have quite a nice coconut body butter at the moment.

Give yourself a pedicure too and moisturise your feet.

Homemade facemasks are lovely too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Baby oil is good too, for moisturising.

A bath bomb from Lush would be lovely. Take the time to really pamper yourself. A nice, long, hot bath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 snooks x

Hi all...thanks for your replies...im from donegal so cant get lush products here but i just looked up their website and think there is a shop in derry so im going to go there tomorrow and look for a new dress also!

nothing a good exfoliator and some fake tan wont sort out i guess....so used to just throwing on the black tights but its that time of year when ya cant get away with that anymore....time to bare the legs!

i wouldnt be into doing facemasks myself...i bought 1 yday in the chemist and it actually hurt me tryin to peel it off. i followed the instructions for the set time....i wasnt impressed!

i have about €40 to spend on feel good stuff so budget is not extremely tight.

snooks x wrote: »
    Hi all...thanks for your replies...im from donegal so cant get lush products here but i just looked up their website and think there is a shop in derry so im going to go there tomorrow and look for a new dress also!

nothing a good exfoliator and some fake tan wont sort out i guess....so used to just throwing on the black tights but its that time of year when ya cant get away with that anymore....time to bare the legs!

i wouldnt be into doing facemasks myself...i bought 1 yday in the chemist and it actually hurt me tryin to peel it off. i followed the instructions for the set time....i wasnt impressed!

i have about €40 to spend on feel good stuff so budget is not extremely tight.

Dead sea minerals do a great face mask in a sachet. For 4 euro or so.
    It rubberizes, like the ones you get in a salon.
    Give your face a steam first, and your in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

OP fair play to you for kick starting everything and good luck with the run.

Penneys shower gels and body creams are lovely they smell really nice and are very cheap to buy. I have sensitive skin and its been fine with them too.

The montangue jenusse face and hair masks that you get in chemists are very good I find and they do not cost very much - couple of euro a sachet. The hair volumising one and shine one are good.

For your face a good exfoliator will remove dead surface cells and help with lines. You could try get a few samples from some of the beauty counters? I use the dermalogica ones myself.

The boots own brand shampoos and conditioners the ones with colours - red blonde and brunette are great for bringing up a shine in your hair too.

I second the idea about the manicure its easy to do and won't cost much at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

My favorite home made face scrub is the bestfor a boost.

Get some porridge oats,olive oil and a teeny bit of water (not too much or it makes it sludgy) give it a good mix with your finger tips and scrub away.Add a wee bit of salt for better exfoliation, really natural,easy face scrub for sensitive skin. Makes a mess though :)

Id agree about the nails too,nothing makes me feel nicer than nice painted toes. Defo on the eyebrows pluck..makes your makeup go on nicer.

Also go and buy yourself some new underwear,doesnt have to be expensive but its the one thing that women always forget about and its something that will make you feel nice.

Get one of those daily tanners too,always gives me greay skin a nice glow.

Good luck on your pamper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I would buy for e40:

1. Liz earle cleans and polish (after delivery cost bout e18). Excellent cleanser and comes with 2 muslin cloths. www.lizearle.ie

2. Moisturiser. I cant praise elizabeth arden's new moisturiser enough but it is expensive at e35 a pop. My next choice would be Oil of Olay total effects with SPF for your skin type. e11

(e29 so far)

3. Pair of exfoiliating gloves. Can get them in most chemists etc. e3

(e32 so far)

4. Say Yes to Carrotts! do this amazing (salt and oil) hand scrub that leaves a sheen on your hands and nails - honest it is amazing (am going to do it now actually thinking about it!). Its about e7.

5. Vaseline rosy red/pink lip balm - bout e1 (give or take a few cent)

e40!

Edit: As some of the girls said above, some of the things you can do for free: Paint your nails, paint your toe nails, pluck your eye brows, shave legs, exfoiliate your lips (old tooth brush and some vaseline), nice fresh outdoors walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 radha

Novella wrote: »
    Baby oil is good too, for moisturising.

A bath bomb from Lush would be lovely. Take the time to really pamper yourself. A nice, long, hot bath.

Absolutely agree with the Lush recommendations. Their butter ball is lovely too.

Hope you have a nice time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Boots do a coconut hair range, I think it's called Ingredients, or Essentials, but as part of it they have an intensive hair mask for about 2.99 for a fair sized tub. Best thing ever for your hair, makes it so shiney and really managable!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

get a pair of scrubby gloves from the chemist for about 3e, just stick a bit of shower gel on them and scrub away.

recommend the body butter from aldi - 2.99e for 3 tubs. smells lovely and makes your skin feel like velvet.

your skin will be glowing and costs practically nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Get your hair cut and styled-makes the biggest difference to your overall appearance.
    I can get my hair washed, cut into any style I want, and blowdried all for 15 euro at a hairdressers in my town. You just need to shop around, I used to pay 40 euro or higher each time, but found this small place, that is just as good and hairdresser's a lot friendlier. Otherwise, try a hairdressing training college/course, pretty sure they are all supervised.
    You would still have loads of money left to spend on the other things already mentioned in this thread.

Get a friend who's good at doing makeup to do your's,
    -get a pile of samples from lots of different chemists so you'll have lots to experiment with, and try to get some perfume samples too.

Barbara Daly: Face Lift
    http://www.barbaradalymake-up.co.uk/images/facelift.png

http://www.barbaradalymake-up.co.uk/face-lift.php

This stuff is class! I have clear but fairly "dull" skin,but wore this by itself and it made my skin really smooth,with a glow to it-really healthy looking. Got several comments from friends, varying from that I looked "really well rested",to "glowing", to "looking very well today" Was just trying some of a friend's, so definitely going getting a pot of my own!:D-think they are in tesco's, so hopefully they will have some in stock.

-Agree with all the other posters that exfoliation and moisturisation is probably quickest and really effective way of getting body and face glowing.
    -A semi permanent hair dye even if it's in your own shade might help add some gloss to your hair.
    -Eyebrow wax/tweezing,to shape eyebrows.
    -Some inexpensive accessories from Penney's could jazz up an older outfit.

There's lots you can do OP fairly cheaply that can make you feel great.
    Hope the date goes well!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Boots are great for bargain buys and the Boots own ranges are very good. I got a coconut and something body lotion there recently for about €3. I have dry skin and it's very good.

Get a hair cut. Most salons do specials mid week.

Olive oil is a great treatment for dry hair.

Buy a body scrub, exfoliating mits or body brush and body lotion. Exfoliate with scrub once a week. Use the mit or body brush every day. A body brush is used on dry skin before a shower and start from the ankles up. Then use the body lotion. Always use body lotion after a shower and you will notice a big difference in your skin.

Someone else mentioned it, Liz Earle is a great range and if you can stretch to the cleanse and polish it's worth the money. Otherwise look at buying oils in your health shop. Buy a base oil like castor or virgin olive oil and another like jojoba, mix together, work into your skin and take off with a hot facecloth.

here's a linky to a site
    http://beauty-treatments.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_oil_cleansing_method

The ladies on Beaut.ie are always praising oil cleansing. The advantage is it's cheap as chips and lasts for ages.

For a moisturiser I would recommend Vichy, Roc or even No.7 Protect and Prefect range. Again, Boots is great as they always have offers.

Skin Wisdom in Tesco is great for face masks etc. You can get a sachet for around €1.50. I tried a couple and they are great.

Give yourself a bit of a facial once a week. Exfoliate and then apply a face mask. If you have combination skin put the mud on around your tzone and a moisturising one around the dry areas. If you buy the sachets keep them in the fridge so they don't dry out and you can use them again the following week.

While you're doing this give yourself a diy pedicure and paint your toenails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

dellas1979 wrote: »
    3. Pair of exfoiliating gloves. Can get them in most chemists etc. e3

E1.50 in Penneys. Those gloves are fantastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Wah hay!
    Then with the spared 1.50 in pennys you could get some jewellery or earings or they even do a make up and body lotion range.

Jeenie Im getting loads of ideas here myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

this thread is great!!! i just want to pamper myself now!!! :)
    also tesco do a lovely own brand cocoa butter, its a huge bottle for only about €2.
    also in dunnes alot of the time they have johnsons baby moisturiser and baby oil, buy one get one free or on some special! i think they're lovely!!

Aw thanks for the replies ye are great!

i am smelling of cocunuts here!!! my little girl was shipped off to her daddys yesterday and i spent the whole evening from 4 o clock pampering!!

had a beautiful bubble bath...candles lit and burnt some 'exotic' oil from the body shop....with westlife on full blast!! (goin to see them next wk in belfast!!)..got the boots beautifully delicious coconut and shea body scrub £8 which smelt gorgeous and my skin felt really smooth, its a great exfoliator.

did the hair mask from boots also cocunut and almond ...everyone should go buy this...it was recommended in this thread thanks a mill ...had it in for about 45 mins and my hair was lovely and shiny and for £2 it gave my hair a great lift.

also got the cocunut body butter from body shop for extra dry skin which just glided on and smells like holidays!£5 i think. ive put it on 3 times now its great.

felt like i was ruining all the lovely smells then by putting on fake tan last night but it had to be done as im so pale. shower this evenin and more body butter on so at least im smellin of cocunuts and not fake tan!

i got a smashbox photo finish serum stuff aswell that goes on under ur makeup its meant to make ur makeup last longer so tonight will be the test.my makeup definitely went on alot smoother.

going out for dinner now at 8.30 and im so so nervous.felt like ringin him all day to cancel....i met him very briefly outside a pub...i was heading off and we swapped numbers...just been chatting to him by email etc and a little msn he seems lovely but im just sooo nervous havnt been on a "date" in a long time...i cant wait to get that first glass of wine! jus sitting about now... waiting!!! my legs look pretty damn good now though!! hehe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

They're on 3 for 2 at the moment too :)

Fair play for getting fit and stuff! Takes guts! If you're doing it on the cheap, penneys have quite a nice coconut body butter at the moment.

Give yourself a pedicure too and moisturise your feet.

Homemade facemasks are lovely too :)

This just made me want to mention the best body butter I've ever had - and I've had Body Shop ones, Boots ones and big brand ones - is the Superdrug one. The one I use is the coconut one, but I suppose the rest are as good.

It sells for about 2.30 and it is brilliant. It absorbs quickly, smells like heaven, and made my manky heels like a babys bum.:) Whenever I'm home I buy it in bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Totally OT and pure nosiness on my part so feel free to ignore, but how'd it go OP??

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Totally OT and pure nosiness on my part so feel free to ignore, but how'd it go OP??

Well he was a little smaller than i remembered ...probably me being in my stiletto heels didnt help! so to be honest it really bugged me...i was abit taller than him and i was just aware of it so much! we had a lovely few drinks and the nerves soon left.. we got on really well and had a lot in common...but the kiss just wasnt nice at all :( and it was a kiss that cannot be remedied...i tried!

and typically he is mad interested now...always the way, they show loads of interest when ya dont want them to!

but first date over... i felt good in what i was wearing and how i presented myself..because i put that little bit of preparation in, it showed in my confidence levels i think...i felt pretty damn good! i need to get out more!

Just want to clarify that im only gonna be walking the 10k!.. with hopefully a bit of running thrown in if i can hack it! i only started back walking 3 weeks ago at a track ....i can only run once around the track and im done for!! but hopefully il get a little better in time.

my doctor took a hard line with me and told me id have to do it to lift my moods and it is definitely making a difference..makes me feel like im doing somthing good for myself...it might put a glow back in my cheeks the natural way!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

snooks x wrote: »
    Well he was a little smaller than i remembered ...probably me being in my stiletto heels didnt help! so to be honest it really bugged me...i was abit taller than him and i was just aware of it so much! we had a lovely few drinks and the nerves soon left.. we got on really well and had a lot in common...but the kiss just wasnt nice at all :( and it was a kiss that cannot be remedied...i tried!

and typically he is mad interested now...always the way, they show loads of interest when ya dont want them to!

but first date over... i felt good in what i was wearing and how i presented myself..because i put that little bit of preparation in, it showed in my confidence levels i think...i felt pretty damn good! i need to get out more!

Im glad you enjoyed your date even if dont think its going to go any further. It sounds like the whole night boosted your confidence and that alone was well worth all the effort! Well done and here here to plenty more nights out!

Advertisement