Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superannuation refunds from Aus

Options
  • 21-04-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on applying for the above? My tax return agent offered to do it for me for a fee of $250 but it seems like a lot of hassle to get back u have to send off loads of documents that u have to get signed by professional figures like a doc or garda and I've been told that you often don't get that much of it back. Is there any point really in applying for it?

Any advise will be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

kookie wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on applying for the above? My tax return agent offered to do it for me for a fee of $250 but it seems like a lot of hassle to get back u have to send off loads of documents that u have to get signed by professional figures like a doc or garda and I've been told that you often don't get that much of it back. Is there any point really in applying for it?

Any advise will be great thanks

you get all of it back less 35% tax - you will need to complete the DASP form from your fund and if you have over $5K you will need a separate declaration of immigration status from the office in Hobart...not worth paying somone $250 when you will still have to fill in the same forms - you do need to get passport page copied and validated by the Police or Solicitor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if you claim supoer back, will it cause any problems in the future if you decide to go for PR or get sponsored?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    you get all of it back less 35% tax

35% tax on it seams really high! Is this really what they take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    you get all of it back less 35% tax
    ****in hell, are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

CiaranC wrote: »
    ****in hell, are you serious?

It was never taxed in the first place.

Ireland have a similar system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

hussey wrote: »

This only confirms your immigration status and takes months for a reponse and is in general pretty useless - you still have to fill in the required DASP for the particular fund...I originally thought that all I had to do was fill this in as it requires all your fund details but all they do is alert the fund that you are valid to claim the DASP - it does by pass the need for validating passport (well did for one fund for my Girlfriend but not the other)

By and by its far quicker to just go to the relevant fund - download the DASP from their site and check the requirements to claim it back...

And yes they do take 35% in tax - used to be 30 I think but changed around this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

When claiming back super are you claiming back the employer contribution as well or is that kept?
    30% tax..it's our f***king money. arghhhhhhh

I notice that you don't pay super contribution unless you earn over $450 per month I think..so if you have a lot of different employers you may not pay any.

hussey wrote: »
    It was never taxed in the first place.

Ireland have a similar system

Even if it was never taxed 35% is a lot more then you would pay if it was given to you in your wages! Seems ridicules to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Too bad

Its Superannuation its supposed to fund your old age, You don't get taxed when your 65......... if you withdraw it now you cop the tax.

If you are on a WHV I think your PAYE tax is about 29% anyway.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Too bad

Its Superannuation its supposed to fund your old age, You don't get taxed when your 65......... if you withdraw it now you cop the tax.

If you are on a WHV I think your PAYE tax is about 29% anyway.

I am on a WHV but a resident for tax purposes having lived in the same area the whole time I have been here so I think it’s pretty ****ty that I should be taxed 17.3% more on my super then if it had just been paid to me. Just because I am withdrawing it early why should they take so much extra off? I see it as a ridicules amount to be taxed. Saving like this is meant to benefit you but I don’t see the point in people on temporary visas having to pay into a super if they are going to be punished like this for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kookie

Thanks for all the feedback guys. To be honest I don't think I will bother applying for it cause from what I can gather with the amount that ur taxed u prob wouldn't get that much back anyways n it seems like a lot of hassle to apply for it as well. I got my tax refund into my bank account the other day after a wait of 6/7 wks n Im pretty happy with the amount that I got back so think that'll do me.

It does seem pretty unfair for backpackers to be paying this when the tax rate is that high oh well their country their laws I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Doc wrote: »
    I am on a WHV but a resident for tax purposes having lived in the same area the whole time I have been here so I think it’s pretty ****ty that I should be taxed 17.3% more on my super then if it had just been paid to me. Just because I am withdrawing it early why should they take so much extra off? I see it as a ridicules amount to be taxed. Saving like this is meant to benefit you but I don’t see the point in people on temporary visas having to pay into a super if they are going to be punished like this for doing so.

Look I agree there should be some form of exemption, if your not planning on staying around.

Advertisement