Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to feed a 6 month old.

• 21-04-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Just looking for ideas. Our child is 6 months old. He is our second but tbh he feels like our first as we cannot remember what we done.

what we are asking is what do you feed your child of 6 months

Morning

Afternoon

Evening.

Not that we are not manageing. For example we give him mash and carrot etc blended in the afternoon

I am just looking for ideas of how to improve his diet.

He is still on milupa formula 3 as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

weetabix in the morning

stewed apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

weetabix in the morning

stewed apple

Cool.The stewed apple i do thanks. Would weetabix be ok at 6 months. My other child loves weetabix. really loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

well my daughters 9 now and they keep changing the rules regarding weaning but at the time i started her on it and mixed it with baby milk, she loved it. Still does but obviously not mixed with baby milk anymore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We did baby porridge in the mornings, liga, yougards, banana's and then dinner of pureed potato and veg.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We did baby porridge in the mornings, liga, yougards, banana's and then dinner of pureed potato and veg.

Baby porridge, liga is cool and potato is cool we do all that.....

But at 6 months is banana and yougart ok...

Because again its one thing i buy lots of but thought "no dairy till 12 months"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dairy is fine from six months. Just watch the petit filous as they are full of sugar.

Mashed Banana, toast fingers, cheese fingers, apple sticks... anything they can hold and chew at the same time. Finger food is great! Lots and lots of fruit and veg... babies love sweet potato and butternut squash.

Dairy is fine from six months. Just watch the petit filous as they are full of sugar.

Mashed Banana, toast fingers, cheese fingers, apple sticks... anything they can hold and chew at the same time. Finger food is great! Lots and lots of fruit and veg... babies love sweet potato and butternut squash.

Petit filous.... what yougarts are not full of sugar besides natural yougart... Is toast/cheese ok in the case of lumps..? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Toast/Cheese should be fine, just keep an eye on the baby while eating it. The gag reflex on babies is still quite strong so they shouldn't be too bad, just if they start trying to cough something back up remain calm as if you get stressed baby will get stressed too.

Toast/Cheese should be fine, just keep an eye on the baby while eating it. The gag reflex on babies is still quite strong so they shouldn't be too bad, just if they start trying to cough something back up remain calm as if you get stressed baby will get stressed too.

Chedder cheese. ok

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I find the Annabel Karmel book great for recipes for DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Try using sweet potato instead of regular potato it's a lot less gulpy when blended, our little man loves sweet potato blended with peas and chicken. We mix an ounce of his formula with it just to make it a little smoother.
    Mashed banana and grated apple for dessert.

Thank you all so far. The sweet patato and butternut squash is actually very sweet and interesting. I am trying the weetabix with pear this morning.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Porridge is a winner if you add some fruit and natural yogurt. Has iron so great for breastfed babies.

Grawns wrote: »
    Porridge is a winner if you add some fruit and natural yogurt. Has iron so great for breastfed babies.

Porridge as in readybrek porridge i imagine you mean....?

You would hardly mean real porridge would you?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Real porridge ( fine oats) made with milk. Ready brek is 100% sugar. It's a no no :)

Real porridge ( fine oats) made with milk. Ready brek is 100% sugar. It's a no no :)

Oh I will try that...Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

When our daughter was 6 months old (shes now 16 months) her diet was like this:

Breakfast
    baby ceral
    Weetabix
    Porridge
    (mixed with formula milk or cooled boiled water)

Snacks
    She loved avocados
    Stewed apples and berries
    Mushed bananas
    Yogurts
    baby jelly
    Stewed pears, peaches, she loved mangos

Dinners
    mushed chicken, beef, pork, fish (shes a massive fan of fish!)
    Pototos (especially sweet potatos - they are expensive so maybe mix half and half with normal spuds?
    Mashed pasta and noodles
    Mushed garden peas, she loves sweet corn, brocolli, carrots, cauliflour, green beans
    Butternut squash was a big hit too (bugger to peel though!)
    Roasted, peeled and mashed red, yellow, green peppers

Thats all I can remember really (it seems so long ago :))

She is the BEST little eater going now, theres nothing she turns her nose up to, loves my homecooked stuff like spag bol, curries, roast dinners. She even says "mmmm" while shes eating which is really lovely to see her enjoying her food!

also +1 on the annabel karmel books they are great for getting some ideas for little beginners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

I give my 15 week old ready brek (PHN is fully awake that's she's on spoon feeds and is happy with her being so, she's an extremely hungry baby). She absolutly adores it, both plain and with a bit of fruit mashed into it. I try to alternate the types of fruit i mix it with just to make sure that she's doesn't end up either conspitated or the opposite, (eg if i give her banana one day she'll get oranges in it the next). I give her that in the at about 7pm. When my other children were about six months or so i was givin them home made spag bol pureed of course and other dinners that i was preparing for the adults in the house, i just made sure not to mix in any salt or strong spices until i had seperated the baby's portion from our own. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Am I missing something? These are the ingredients of Ready Brek:
    Wholegrain Rolled Oats (60%), Wholegrain Oat Flour (39%), Calcium, Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid (B5), Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.

Where is the sugar?

I asked my PHN (who is also my lactation specilaist, so she's invested on Kacie being on the breast for as long as i can feed her) actually checked the ingredients for me on the internet to make sure it was gluten free. She said so long as it's gluten,nut and sugar free(naturally occuraing sugars should be kept to a minumum) that it's fine to give to her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

aniascor wrote: »
    Am I missing something? These are the ingredients of Ready Brek:
    Wholegrain Rolled Oats (60%), Wholegrain Oat Flour (39%), Calcium, Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid (B5), Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.

Where is the sugar?

I bought ready brek for the oats when I was tring to increase my milk supply and had checked the ingredients as I try to avoid added salt and sugar in cereal (except for my weekly cheerio treat!).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

+ 1 re Ready Brek... I thought this was ok and checked re sugar as don't want to give any added sugar... esp as I've added like three granules of the stuff into her brekie myself to taste! I double checked the ingredients there too... seems there's no sugar at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hiya,
    When our little man was 6 months we gave him baby porridge (or sometimes sunshine orange from Milupa) with fruit puree in the mornings and he LOVED it - then a potato/meat/veg dinner in the middle of the day. I used to make a batch of it, puree it and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then I could take out 2/3 cubes as he wanted them. He always loves a Petit Filous after his dinner. Beware - I found that if he ate the Petit Filous after 3pm or 4pm he stayed in his stomach all night and kept him awake!
    In the evenings we just gave him a bit of everything to get him to taste things. Cheese, apple, banana, rice cakes, peas!
    This is when the fun starts!! Enjoy!

Kacie had her first taste of pureed strawberries today for her breakfast (mixed in with plain unsweetened rusk) her little face was comical but she devoured it after two or three spoons once she had gotten used to the taste:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

Strawberries are great - my lad loves them - just be really careful when you introduce them first if there is a family history of allergies. They can be as bad as nuts or kiwi and can cause a severe reaction.

bogtotty wrote: »
    Strawberries are great - my lad loves them - just be really careful when you introduce them first if there is a family history of allergies. They can be as bad as nuts or kiwi and can cause a severe reaction.

Yes... I was looking at them this morning.... My neighbour grows strawberries and raspberries...

Advertisement