Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who else is braving Classical Studies?

• 21-04-2010 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

As you may or may not know, Classical is the most failed exam in the Leaving Cert (or so I heard). It's hard enough even at Ordinary level, the sheer scope of the course has brought people to tears. So yeah, not the easiest exam on the L.C.
    Fortunately, I'm just one of those people who can't get enough reading. Which is a good trait to have for a course that has like 8 books. So much so I'm even doing Higher Level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Wow, that looks really very interesting. I can't get enough reading either, and this looks like a suitable subject for me, although it's a bit late for me now, of course. I would still like to know who is studying it though, as the OP said.

Here's the syllabus for Classical Studies: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_classical_studies_sy.pdf?language=EN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0055_2009.pdf?language=EN <<<<<<<<< and just to let any LC 2011ers who are reading this and past papers, you'll be doing 6 questions in the exam and not 8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ah Classical Studies, the smart man's heaven, the stupid man's hell. You'll be fine in the exam if you enjoy the material. I think i got a b2 (2005) at higher level and did Alexander, Greek Drama, Town Planning, Art and Architecture. Epic, and probably something else. Great foundation subject to have for almost any form of arts degree, especially English, History and Philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClassicCiars

Im braving higher level Classics this year too (yay us) !
    I love this subject , its just so much more interesting than like economics or something . Its really a subject that you either click with or you dont , I mean if you get it your really good at it but if you dont your kinda screwed cause the ordinary paper is just as difficult as the higher level.
    Its quite fun to look at peoples reaction when you tell them how large the course is , as they try to figure out why you would willingly submit yourself to that.

Did you do Aescylus - Prometheus Bound or 'the Frogs' as your 3rd drama ? I havnt found ANYONE else doing Prometheus and Im like convinced that im the only person answering that question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Im doing Prometheus, i also hate classics, with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Im braving higher level Classics this year too (yay us) !
    I love this subject , its just so much more interesting than like economics or something . Its really a subject that you either click with or you dont , I mean if you get it your really good at it but if you dont your kinda screwed cause the ordinary paper is just as difficult as the higher level.
    Its quite fun to look at peoples reaction when you tell them how large the course is , as they try to figure out why you would willingly submit yourself to that.

Did you do Aescylus - Prometheus Bound or 'the Frogs' as your 3rd drama ? I havnt found ANYONE else doing Prometheus and Im like convinced that im the only person answering that question

Yep, I'm bound to Prometheus also :)......why is everyone leaving the room? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Doing 9 subjects, Irish is my only Ordinary. I really should have given up on classical months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Wish I didnt have a teacher that put me off it at JC level >_<

I'd have loved to have done it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Ah, I wish I'd done this subject. It looks so very interesting. :( I did History for the LC, but this looks a lot more like the kind of thing I'd enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I did classics in 2009 and got a B2. For me, I just went to institute grinds and after that it was a bit of going through papers but the real work happened the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nadbags

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm bound to Prometheus also :)......why is everyone leaving the room? :(

Love it ^^ Im doing prometheus bound!! its not my favorite out of the 3 plays im doing (medea, oedipus rex) but apparently its the easiest to pick up marks in?
    Is anyone else HUGELY terrified of the classical exam?
    I really enjoy it but the amount of stuff we have to do.. and my hand tends to cramp up after an hour of intense writing.. so scared!
    I'm doing greek art and architecture, greek drama, poetry and alexander.
    Anyone else doing those topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Silentbut

Hey, Yeah I love the subject but my lack of a serious work ethic has meant that I am screwed for tomorrow!

I am doing Philosophy, Greek Drama, Augustan Literature and Alexander..
    I hate Alexander, it's way too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I would have killed to have a go at this course for my LC :(
    I know there's a lot more stuff on the course, but I've been reading Plato in my feckin' spare time this year... anyways, good luck to anyone lucky enough to be doing Classical Studies (some of you will probably want to kill me :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Ah, I wish I'd done this subject. It looks so very interesting. :( I did History for the LC, but this looks a lot more like the kind of thing I'd enjoy.
    This. I wish I'd thought to take it up, it looks excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Appleglue

I love Classics.
    its scary how much there is to cover tho
    To make it worse, I have Economics just before classics, economics is my worst subject and I am likely to fail or scrape a pass.
    I need some sort of divine intervention to save me tomorrow

did, Medea, Oedipus, Aeneid, Odyssy, Sculpture, Alexander

Briefly covered
    Temples and Prometheus Bound
    But hopefully I wont need to answer on those two

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Ah, Classics... I did it in 2008. Alexander can be quite intimidating, but if you've studied the battles to death (as we did) then you should be fine. It's definitely an involved course but it's also lots of fun and tends not to patronise you in the same way other courses do. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Davabo

Whats the best way to study the art and architecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Davabo wrote: »
    Whats the best way to study the art and architecture?

The prescribed book is aimed at third level students and accordingly is very verbose, so it's hard to use it to study. I would take a look at each sculpture/temple/piece etc. individually and list its main features. Have a look at the past questions to see what kind of questions they've asked about it - be ready for comparison questions and the like. Sorry I can't be of more help, but my knowledge of the course is a little rusty.

Advertisement