Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning off internet

• 21-04-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I wont be using my internet for a while Whats the best way of backing up all my passwords so that when i go go online again i will have them. At the moment i just have them in my head but i will probably forget after a while of not using them. i dont want to write them down as i will lose the note

Would a site like last pass be secure enough?

How safe is using internet cafes? Is using an memory stick with a portable browser on it a better idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

You could type all your passwords into a text file, then use 7-zip to archive the text file and choose the option to password protect the archive.

So you will only have to remember one password.

The extracted file may still be in windows temp folder after you close the archive so it might not be the best solution for public computers.

Firefox portable would also be a good solution. All data, settings, and save passwords will be stored in the Firefox portable folder, which would be located on your USB stick.

If you want ultimate security you could bring along a portable operating system on your USB stick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Text file and then encrypting that would be best bet.
    There are also programs like KeePass for storing passwords (which of course can also encrypt them), which can be organised into different groups and stuff (handy if there's a lot) but might be overkill.

I wouldn't trust a site like lastpass tbh since you're basically putting complete trust in the owners of that site, something like KeePass would work the same way but without the hassle/trust of a third party website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I recommend You get the lastpass addon for IE, firefox and chrome, this way no matter what browser You use You'll have instant access to Your passwords
    https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

There's even an encrypted usbkey utility (Lastpass pocket) which You can have with You for internet cafe's (where You can't install it), use a single password to unlock access to Your vault of encrypted passwords

Amazing utility, I've one very strong password for my emails and lastpass, another one for boards, fantasy football and ebay (so i remember it and can log on anywhere) and all the rest are completely randomly generated and I've no clue what they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

email yourself a list of your passwords
    that way you only need to remember you email password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Write them on a post-it and stick them on your screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

When use netcafes use private browsing, or incognito mode in chrome , you can delete browsing history,and passwords, in chrome,options,under the hood,clear browsing,delete passwords/history.
    IF you are buying something with a credit card ,do it from your own pc,not a netcafe.

Advertisement