Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

theoretical physics-omnibus science

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

i was intending to do engineering but now think i should go for theoretical physics.
    im pretty good at maths and physics,but not exceptional,would it be out of my league.
    also since i probably wont got a b2 in both maths and physics is it hard to get in the science route

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

ainrialai wrote: »
    i was intending to do engineering but now think i should go for theoretical physics.
    im pretty good at maths and physics,but not exceptional,would it be out of my league.
    also since i probably wont got a b2 in both maths and physics is it hard to get in the science route

I'm not sure about theoretical physics, but i know a guy who's trying to get into astrophysics from omnibus and he told me he needs somewhere in the region of a 4.0 GPA - Basically all As.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I did the theoretical physics degree, entered via the denominated stream. I entered before horizons and all that though so not sure about transferring in, it would probably be similar to going into Astronomy & Space Science. Just to note though that in my experience the TP degree was never full so that might make it easier to switch into than Space Science..but honestly don't know. However the contacts you see on the following page likely will:

http://www.ucd.ie/physics/preston/courses_degrees.html

As for difficulty, obviously being strong in maths and physics would be required, but it's not a crazy learning curve, and university maths isn't quite the same as school maths, though being handy at school maths is useful :)

You should be able to transfer from theoretical physics into science without much hassle too (although depending on your module choice you may still end up in the physics/maths side of things*) so if you're set on TP/science over engineering then you've nothing to lose by putting theoretical physics as your first choice.

*Someone in my class switched into chemistry after first year, but that was in the older system so I don't know if it's possible to meet the requirements for another 2nd year subject while covering the whole 1st year TP course these days.

This post may have confused you further but at the very least emailing people mentioned in the link should be of help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

You know there's a four year Theoretical Physics course in TCD? First two years you do full physics and higher maths courses, maths is 2/3 and physics is 1/3. Second two you do maths, physics and TP, all counting for 1/3. In 2008 it was 500 points. You need a higher level B3 in maths and physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    You know there's a four year Theoretical Physics course in TCD? First two years you do full physics and higher maths courses, maths is 2/3 and physics is 1/3. Second two you do maths, physics and TP, all counting for 1/3. In 2008 it was 500 points. You need a higher level B3 in maths and physics.

It's 4 years here as well, not sure if you were trying to emphasise that or not. But yeah OP, worth checking TCD's course out too. Know people that did it there too and they're very comparible, as you would imagine.

Advertisement