Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Innovation Wishlist

• 21-04-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about all the expensive DSLR's from Nikon, Canon etc. They all come with a fixed screen on the back. I remember my old Powershot S2-IS had an articulated screen which allowed me to position and focus the camera at any angle. I always loved that and missed it terribly when I had the 50D.

So thinking about it, what about the following.....A remote screen/viewfinder worn over the eye?

It might have simple remote controls also such as shutter release/AF. You might wear it like an eye patch, it provides you with all the functionality of your viewfinder/screen but it's seperate from the camera, worn over the eys(s), therefore you can operate the camera in any direction.

1. It would not suffer from bright daylight as LCD's do
    2. It would allow you to operate the camera at any angle
    3. It would allow you far more discreet street photography
    4. It would allow easier more accurate composition
    5. Potential for power saving if it was powered seperately from camera, either way it would use less power than the cameras LCD.
    6. Might provide significant opportunities for wildlife photography if camera is placed strategically on a subject and operator is hidden.

Right! come on, let the onslaught begin :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

#1 on my list would be to have more dynamic range from the digital sensors. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

While I do like the concept, I don't think we're anywhere near there yet (and may never be); the most accurate way to focus is using the viewfinder, which is a mechanical optical link to what's being framed through the lens. A remote viewer will be a digital reproduction of this picture (the same way live view is) and as such won't be as responsive or easy to accurately focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

sounds very cool. I haven't thought about it much but I sense there will be serious problems or things people wont like. But I cant think of them now and people will probably beet me to it! But i'll throw them up if I think of any issues that aren't mentioned!

One thing I always ask with new innovations I create is "Why hasn't it been done before?" If the only answer is money or new technology then your on a potential winner!

One thing I've just thought of is I much prefer looking through a real viewfinder with a mirror rather that a screened viewfinder or similar. Was one of my favourite things about my first slr camera, which was a D50, and I had an Fuji S5500 with a screen before.

The camera would have to transmit the image wirelessly, hence eating into battery time.

thats all from me for the minute! nice idea though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

A digital camera dispruptor that looks like an innocent flash. This when triggered will cause every digital camera in a 50 metre radius to flip out and reboot.... ( without causing damage, just frustration) .....

Oh the joy .. when shooting some event and still be able to click away while frustrated others stare at their screens in dismay

Osama Been (and always will be) Analog! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I second the broader dynamic range. And lower noise. Don't care about megapixels.

I started with a Fuji bridge too - 6900Z. It was an absolute God send to move to an optical viewfinder on my first DLSR! I could never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I was thinking about this the other day and I one thing I really want is End-User Hot-Swappable Sensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I was thinking about this the other day and I one thing I really want is End-User Hot-Swappable Sensors.

Sounds like the interchangeable backs on my Bronica to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

18-200 f1.8 :)

Sounds like the interchangeable backs on my Bronica to me :D

Exactly!:D

Now gimme your camera!:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

- touch screen post processing.

- voice captioning

- integrated email/ftp sending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Sensors that crush dust on impact!

MUCH cheaper fast lenses.

LCDs that can actually be seen clearly in sunlight! [Viewing settings is no problem, but reviewing images, on my Sony at least, can be cumbersome]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I think camera manufacturers need to rethink their industrial design somewhat. A lot of the design decisions that make up their cameras are based on outmoded needs or redundant concepts. And I say this not in the hope that we'll get a load of retarded art-student "concept cameras", but that we'll see manufacturers designing cameras to the few specific needs of the photographer rather than trying to flesh out a spec. sheet.

I'd also like to see more emphasis placed on manufacturing sensors that cover at least the full-frame 35mm format size.

I think RED is on track to provide most things I'd want in a DSLR-or-larger sized body and Leica seem to have created a digital camera that is sufficiently minimal where it needs to be in the M9, but neither are at price points that are realistic for personal use.

Here's what I wrote the last time someone made a thread like this.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    - touch screen post processing.

- voice captioning

- integrated email/ftp sending

So, basically you want a camera and an iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »

Curiously enough, the iPhone is now the most widely used 'camera' on flickr now. And if that's what the vast majority of people want then that's what's coming down the pipe in the years to come, you can depend on it. It's kinda depressing that the bar has slipped so low.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd like a digital camera that only lets you take one pic every 3 minutes, has no screen on the back so you can't see what you've just taken until you get home and plug the camera into something, a camera that has a kinda shape sensor that only allows you to take one photo every 24 hours of the same thing.
    That's the digital camera for me, I must send off that notion to Canon. I'd say they'd snap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I hope you patented this idea before posting it anywhere. This one sounds like a runner.
    dnme wrote: »
    I was thinking about all the expensive DSLR's from Nikon, Canon etc. They all come with a fixed screen on the back. I remember my old Powershot S2-IS had an articulated screen which allowed me to position and focus the camera at any angle. I always loved that and missed it terribly when I had the 50D.

So thinking about it, what about the following.....A remote screen/viewfinder worn over the eye?

It might have simple remote controls also such as shutter release/AF. You might wear it like an eye patch, it provides you with all the functionality of your viewfinder/screen but it's seperate from the camera, worn over the eys(s), therefore you can operate the camera in any direction.

1. It would not suffer from bright daylight as LCD's do
    2. It would allow you to operate the camera at any angle
    3. It would allow you far more discreet street photography
    4. It would allow easier more accurate composition
    5. Potential for power saving if it was powered seperately from camera, either way it would use less power than the cameras LCD.
    6. Might provide significant opportunities for wildlife photography if camera is placed strategically on a subject and operator is hidden.

Right! come on, let the onslaught begin :p

Curiously enough, the iPhone is now the most widely used 'camera' on flickr now. And if that's what the vast majority of people want then that's what's coming down the pipe in the years to come, you can depend on it. It's kinda depressing that the bar has slipped so low.

I don't think the prevalence of the iPhone on Flickr indicates a decline in the use of "real" cameras, it indicates a huge increase in people making and sharing photographs with their phones. It would be interesting to see the statistics about whether the people who upload iPhone pictures also upload pictures from a "real" camera; I suspect very many, if not most of them, do.

I also don't think the popularity of the iPhone as a camera means it will eat into a significant part of the photography market. Perhaps the brainless, zero-control, point-and-shoot cameras that are barely more than a cameraphone-minus-the-phone will suffer, but I think it will, if anything, drive interest in photography and demand in proper cameras.

Related: from The Online Photographer today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I also started with a Fuji bridge camera for digital. The S7000. I got some fantastic photos with it.. and still could if I ever took out that particular camera bag.

What I could really use is a bag like Hermione Granger has in the last Harry Potter book.. where you can stuff lots of stuff in there.. but it doesn't get bigger or heavier. Carrying around my main camera bag can be painful! (although it's great exercise.)
    hmboards wrote: »
    I second the broader dynamic range. And lower noise. Don't care about megapixels.

I started with a Fuji bridge too - 6900Z. It was an absolute God send to move to an optical viewfinder on my first DLSR! I could never go back.

a mini ipad built into a dslr ....is that too much to ask ?..... and voice captioning.....oh and please santa also a built in image tracker/auto bill sender when images are being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

on the technical side I would like:

sensor:
    - the usual, higher resolution, ISO & dynamic range.

lens:
    - perhaps something more radical here. Lens are made up of pieces of glass that move, the individual elements are static. If their focal length, chromatic properties etc. could change then the physical limitations around zoom length & apperture could change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

To be honest OP your idea, while we probably won't see it today or tomorrow, is a very good one. The amount of times I have wished the LCD screen at least tilted or rotated to offer me live view from an angle that isn't directly behind the viewfinder, it's a bit frustrating to have a concept like live view but limit it in such a drastic way. I think that it's something we will see resolved to some degree.

As for other innovations - if you were to believe the head of Nokia our fate is already decided :eek:

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    a mini ipad built into a dslr ....is that too much to ask ?..... and voice captioning.....oh and please santa also a built in image tracker/auto bill sender when images are being used.

Just a camera, an iPad, and the iPad camera connection kit.

You will inevitably be able to edit RAW files using the touchscreen interface, embed voice notes, and email/SFTP the results to clients moments after you took the photo.
    sprinkles wrote: »
    As for other innovations - if you were to believe the head of Nokia our fate is already decided :eek:

I'm sure he's a good source of objective and unbiased analysis on the subject.

yeah ...but I want to do it all on camera .... if I wanted to do it on a computer I'd link it up to my laptop....lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

humberklog wrote: »
    I'd like a digital camera that only lets you take one pic every 3 minutes, has no screen on the back so you can't see what you've just taken until you get home and plug the camera into something, a camera that has a kinda shape sensor that only allows you to take one photo every 24 hours of the same thing.
    That's the digital camera for me, I must send off that notion to Canon. I'd say they'd snap it up.

That is called PENTAX - those cameras have built-in timer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

humberklog wrote: »

I think you just need a time machine or an electromagnetic pulse weapon to fry everything digital.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think you just need a time machine or an electromagnetic pulse weapon to fry everything digital.

I've absolutely no problem with digital imaging...but I do with the habits it gives people with its instantaneous nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

A camera that took dual digital and film images with one shutter press. :D

Actually, I think there would be a market for a minimalist and (relatively) inexpensive digital camera. Keep only really essential features: manual aperture, shutter speed, and ISO control in whole stop increments; only shoot RAW; switchable between centre weighted average and spot metering. I can't really think of any other settings you'd need to make accessible on the camera; white balance is adjustable in RAW, as is minor exposure adjustments. I'm not ever sure you'd need autofocus lenses, perhaps just a focus confirm patch. If it were an SLR, it could have a huge, bright viewfinder with a very precise focusing screen without the need for an autofocus assembly and half-silvered mirror so the light transmission through the optical assembly would be high and you wouldn't require a focusing screen that compromises for less light.

If you made it without an LCD and the ability to delete and edit down your photographs people would be unable to review images on it and would have to think about their methods without resorting to trial and error and would be reluctant to take an excessive amount of shots of the same thing as they'd have to deal with a glut of photographs when they arrive back at a computer.

It'd be great if it had a full-frame 35mm sensor and a mount with very small registration distance to enable the use of other adaptable mounts that could have lensmount-specific interfaces: such as a mechanism to work with various brands' automatic diaphragm, or mounts that can interface with various brands' autofocus systems. If you really wanted to push the boat out you could put a monochrome sensor it it and be done with bayer and anti-aliasing filters (or just use a Foveon sensor). The sensor wouldn't need to be particularly high-resolution and hopefully this would permit physically larger pixels meaning increased dynamic range and high-ISO performance.

It could be a rangefinder, and SLR (although this poses some problems with the registration distance), or and EVIL contraption.

I'm not saying it's for everyone or that all digital cameras should be like this, but I think a camera like this would have its place; even as a compliment to your other digital cameras.

Of course nobody would actually make this camera as they couldn't lock you in to a system and there isn't a built-in-obsolescence-style need to upgrade every few years.

If it were an SLR, it could have a huge, bright viewfinder with a very precise focusing screen without the need for an autofocus assembly and half-silvered mirror so the light transmission through the optical assembly would be high and you wouldn't require a focusing screen that compromises for less light.

If it was done on a Rangefinder format you could have a nice pocketable camera ,as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

1. Dynamic Range
    2. Weight reduction in body and lenses
    3. Redundancy in media (dual cards or networking built into more devices)
    4. Networking built in, with design a thought put into operation on camera
    5. User interface design (The difference between the 5d and the mark II again please)

It terms of mass market point and shoot, I think a lot could be done in the area of user interface design and network integration. I'm interested to see what apple has on the horizon or even if they will enter the market. Recent patents have hinted at such a device but the patent could just be for use in the next iphone camera.

Excuse the canon specific remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I would like a camera that is synced to your brain :o

True! So that the camera takes the image you have in mind.

Wouldnt that be something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

How about a dampened shutter (as in sound)? I sometimes find the sound of mine to be quite loud and intrusive in certain situations. Tone the volume down a bit please :)

I also wish that the 5D mkIII isn't biased towards the videographers rather than the photographers. Improved AF is a given, but please Canon, don't let that be it for us photogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

sNarah wrote: »
    I would like a camera that is synced to your brain :o

True! So that the camera takes the image you have in mind.

Wouldnt that be something?

Reckon I'd get some very strange images though :D;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Actually, I think there would be a market for a minimalist and (relatively) inexpensive digital camera. Keep only really essential features: manual aperture, shutter speed, and ISO control in whole stop increments; only shoot RAW; switchable between centre weighted average and spot metering.
    easy one - being able to retrofit film SLRs with digital backs. i heard a conspiracy theory once that someone did develop a solution, and sony bought the company and buried it - they had nothing to gain from such a development.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

gloobag wrote: »
    How about a dampened shutter (as in sound)? I sometimes find the sound of mine to be quite loud and intrusive in certain situations. Tone the volume down a bit please :)

I agree, it'd be very useful

The OPs idea wouldn't work I don't think. It'd essentially be an LCD screen an inch away from your eye? It'd ruin your vision and make your eyes feel like they were on fire. :(

I reckon those cameras that have the LCD screens that can flip and twirl, etc. just need to be made wth a wire running into the camera. ie; isntead of just twisting/twirling/etc. the LCD, you can disconnect it from the camera and use it hand-held (though it is still wired to the camera to avoid huge increases in cost, etc.

The other idea that I want is binocular vision. Viewfinders and binoculars are a similar concept, by not make a camera where the mirrors that bounce the image around and onto the viewfinder, split the image in two across two viewfinders like goggles/binoculars that are slightly raised from the camera. No more nose-against-the-LCD or forced squinting.

I believe Olympus make Binoculars... Why haven't they tried this yet?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement