Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral Q

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:24pm

I had my Irish oral today (I'm doing ordinary level) and I got asked a lot of questions I couldn't answer. Now I realise my Irish isn't great and I was never going to be able to answer everything but I thought that when the examiner asks difficult questions and the student struggles to answer it that they note the student can't cope at that level and ask easier questions again.

My oral seemed to be a string of ridiculous questions that even my higher level friends would find difficult. Examples include:

Why do you think there are traffic problems & what do you think the government should do to solve the traffic problems?

Do you think young people are safe drivers & what do you think about the penalty points system?

What do you think about cyber bullying and what should parents of children who are being cyber bullied do?

I didn't bring up any of the above topics, she brought it in every time. I could barely answer anything on them, mostly just one word answers to show I understood and then 'nil fhios agam'. I'm not going to be counting Irish for points so it doesn't really matter how I did but I'm just confused as to why I was asked a string of difficult questions that I clearly struggled with whereas other class mates got none? Did she just not like me or what? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I would say the examiner had already established that you were an A ordinary student so she fast forwarded to the tricky/impossible questions to give you a chance to gain more marks. I would say you did just as well struggling with honours questions as flying through an oral full of questions on school and family. Like any exam oral or written it's disappointing when you can't use stuff you know.

I suppose if you are still curious in august you could see how many marks you got for the oral part of the exam. Or is that only for written papers? Cos like there's aural as well so do they add oral and aural together so you wouldn't know exactly what mark you got in the oral?

I've no idea. I don't really have A level ordinary Irish tbh. My friend overheard her saying she hates when students learn off notes, so I've a suspicion that because she saw me with my notes outside the exam room that she decided to ask qs I wouldn't have prepared.

I didn't mind being asked difficult Qs, I just expected to be asked less difficult ones when it became glaringly obvious I didn't have the Irish to answer them...that's how I was told it worked!

Is it possible to appeal the oral section of the exam like it is in the written one?

I think if you appeal the exam scripts and oral tape are re checked. I wouldn't be bothered appealing anyways, I don't think she did anything wrong per se, and I really don't care about Irish.

Yeah. Google gave me this
    You cannot view the results of practical and oral exams – only the written and aural papers. However, if you decide to appeal a result, all parts of that exam will be reassessed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement