Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommed me a van!

• 21-04-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

My impending adventure into the manufacturing industry is probably going to mean I'll have to buy a van. Only problem is I know *nothing* about them, or the tax breaks (other than VAT can be claimed back off diesel) -- hence I'm looking for advice.

Am thinking of something around the Transit Connect size, or more likely a small full-fat Transit size. Budget is up to about €6k, so obviously 2nd hand.

Reliability is paramount, as are easy/cheap repairs. After that a bit of refinement would be nice, as in something that won't have my head hurting after a few hours of driving. Half decent fuel economy would also be nice.

Any and all information/recommendations are appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Transit all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, try a Transit Connect, I had one meself and it's a lovely little runner.
    The VW Caddy seems to have more options and gizmos but purely as a workshorse people seem to prefer the Transit. I thought it was comfy, fast, ergonomic and has a really nice driving position.
    The stereo is a bit crappy though, but it can be fitted with a plug for your mp3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Transit would be my choice for a full sized van. small vans would be between the Connect and the Combo. Car based van would be the Astra Estate type van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Am I correct that the Transit would be €288 to tax as it's under 3 tonnes?

Can motor tax be claimed back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

an post are currently flogging their fleet. 05 for 1.5k. not bad. berlingos and kangoos the od connect.
    might be worth a look through the auctions.

fleet servicing quite good too. pretty average mileage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The transit is the ubiquitous choice, it's hard to go wrong. Is this going to be for lumping akward / heavy loads short distances driven by minions or valuable cargo over long treks driven by yourself? If durability and resilliance are paramount, the the transit is your van. If you're spending a lot of time in the van yourself and are looking for more comfort, then the Ducato and PSA equivalents are under rated and a good alternative to the transit.
    The AnPost option is worth checking out, they lead a pretty charmed life for a commercial, the one thing to watch for is the clutch due to the amount of stop/start driving. If you can't stand the colour, getting a vehicle wrap done will be a good alternative to spraying it and has the added benefit of marketing your business.
    Fair dues to you starting a manufacturing operaton at the moment, I hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Morrison! (especially the early stuff).......I'll get me coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Can motor tax be claimed back?

All costs (even including depreciation) can be expensed against income, provided they are incurred purely for business reasons (just don't ever use the van privately)
    JHMEG wrote: »
    My impending adventure into the manufacturing industry

What are you up to? Spill the beans! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

A few people I've spoken to with experience in running a few different makes of vans have spoken very highly of the Fiat Ducato. Reckon the transit is over rated and the Fiat had a better engine and was more comfortable by a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Martron wrote: »
    an post are currently flogging their fleet. 05 for 1.5k. not bad. berlingos and kangoos the od connect.
    might be worth a look through the auctions.

fleet servicing quite good too. pretty average mileage

The An Post vans get serviced and parts replaced at half the expected mileage. Brake discs every 20,000km for example, so they should run for a good while even though they've done a lot of stop / start driving.

http://www.carnext.ie/public/en_IE_CarNext/?page=carNext&carId=270795-IE&id=

Cheap and should last a while, but would need a wrap to stop it looking cheap and nasty.

Alternatively, I have a lovely 2006 Master with a tail lift................:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

what is a wrap on a van? is it expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yes. very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cuterob wrote: »
    what is a wrap on a van? is it expensive?

http://www.autoflair.ie/graphics_vehicles_fullwraps.html

Depends on the size of the vehicle, and whether the sides are flat or ridged (Connect is a pain to do apparently), but €1,500 - €2,000 for a high quality multi coloured job.

Been a while since I organised one so pricing could be way off.

Advertisement