Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester City And Tottenham Hotspur Reveal New York Dates As Part Of US Tour Schedu

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Clubs hope trip will boost worldwide exposure...

Only one club will be competing in the Champions League next season, but it seems both Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City will be heading to New York as part of their preparations for the new campaign.

Having already revealed their intention to tour the United States, the two Premier League clubs announced on Wednesday that as part of their respective pre-season tours they will take part in a four-day tournament from July 21 to 25 in the Big Apple with hosts New York Red Bulls and Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon.

Both sides are scheduled to play two games as part of the 'New York Football Challenge', which will all take place at Red Bull Arena.

Despite uncertainty over his long-term future at Eastlands, Roberto Mancini is looking forward to the games as perfect preparation for the 2010-11 season.

“We have big ambitions for the Premier League next season, and this tournament will give us the perfect opportunity to prepare for our season with some highly competitive games, enthusiastic supporters and world class facilities," Mancini said on his club's official website.

“It will be fantastic for us to visit the United States, and especially for us to visit New York during our tour of the East Coast."

Exact details of the dates of individual fixtures will be released "in due course", according to the club.

Become a fan of Goal.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Can anyone confirm this ? Is it official ? My brother lives in NYC and would be chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus I'm going to Vegas a week later for my stag I def would have shaved a few days off that and went to see a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm this ? Is it official ? My brother lives in NYC and would be chuffed.

Confirmed mate. From offical site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/international/news/spurs-heading-stateside-220410.html

Spurs heading Stateside

The Club is delighted to announce a pre-season training camp in the United States of America as part of our preparations ahead of the 2010/2011 season.
    A number of matches have been planned as part of the trip, kicking off on the West Coast against our MLS Club Partners San Jose Earthquakes in a friendly game at Buck Shaw Stadium in San Jose on Saturday July 17. Our pre-season schedule in the U.S. will conclude on the East Coast with us participating in the 2010 New York Football Challenge in New Jersey.
    The 2010 New York Football Challenge will be a four-team tournament involving fellow Barclays Premier League side Manchester City, MLS outfit New York Red Bulls and Sporting Lisbon from Portugal. The tournament will take place from July 22-25 at the Red Bull Arena (pictured above) in Harrison, New Jersey.
    With an established supporter base in the U.S., including supporters' clubs in New York, Chicago and San Francisco, the visit will provide a great opportunity to strengthen links with fans and also with the Earthquakes.
    Harry Redknapp said: "The summer camp will be a very important part of our preparations for the new campaign and we're looking forward to heading out to the United States in the summer. I spent some time out there during the 1970s playing and coaching in Seattle and any chance I get to go back there is something I always look forward to."
    We last played in the U.S. as recently as 2003, when we participated in the Capital Cup against MLS side DC United.
    The Club's partnership with San Jose Earthquakes was established in 2008 and we hosted the Earthquakes at Spurs Lodge in March this year as part of their MLS pre-season preparations.
    Ticket information for each of our matches will be made available in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Confirmed mate. From offical site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/international/news/spurs-heading-stateside-220410.html

Spurs heading Stateside

The Club is delighted to announce a pre-season training camp in the United States of America as part of our preparations ahead of the 2010/2011 season.
    A number of matches have been planned as part of the trip, kicking off on the West Coast against our MLS Club Partners San Jose Earthquakes in a friendly game at Buck Shaw Stadium in San Jose on Saturday July 17. Our pre-season schedule in the U.S. will conclude on the East Coast with us participating in the 2010 New York Football Challenge in New Jersey.
    The 2010 New York Football Challenge will be a four-team tournament involving fellow Barclays Premier League side Manchester City, MLS outfit New York Red Bulls and Sporting Lisbon from Portugal. The tournament will take place from July 22-25 at the Red Bull Arena (pictured above) in Harrison, New Jersey.
    With an established supporter base in the U.S., including supporters' clubs in New York, Chicago and San Francisco, the visit will provide a great opportunity to strengthen links with fans and also with the Earthquakes.
    Harry Redknapp said: "The summer camp will be a very important part of our preparations for the new campaign and we're looking forward to heading out to the United States in the summer. I spent some time out there during the 1970s playing and coaching in Seattle and any chance I get to go back there is something I always look forward to."
    We last played in the U.S. as recently as 2003, when we participated in the Capital Cup against MLS side DC United.
    The Club's partnership with San Jose Earthquakes was established in 2008 and we hosted the Earthquakes at Spurs Lodge in March this year as part of their MLS pre-season preparations.
    Ticket information for each of our matches will be made available in due course.

Superb, nice one Mark. My brother runs a bar in NYC, he should head down and get pics with the lads for the walls in the pub.

Advertisement