Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral Exam Reassurance..

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey everybody, quick question.
    If the oral examiner compliments your language skills, for example,
    "your accent is great, have you spent time in a country that speaks that language?"
    is that is that a sign that they can see that you're a deer in headlights and need to be reassured? Or is it just something they say to everybody? Or is it actually an indication that you're doing well?
    Post oral exam paranoia, don't you love it? :)

Comments

My Irish examiner told everyone 'well done you have lovely Irish'. My exam was pretty abysmal so I doubt she was being sincere :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Ah tut. Women, never trust 'em =D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The examiners try to put you at your ease so you can do as well as possible.
    As for judging how you did, take your hint from the level of question they asked you.
    If they stuck to talking about the weather and your family maybe they thought that was all you were able for, if they asked more complicated things, they must have felt you'd manage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Both Irish and french examiners told us they won't ask us anything crazy like the recession....

They both asked my friend about the recession lol:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Ah, the higher level irish girls were all running around in fear of the conditional tense for the prior weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Just had French on Wednesday and it went great! Thank the Lord! I didn't have a document, yet she asked me nothing about the recession, drugs etc.. Just got the volcano! And I knew all about that plus I brought in that geography is my fave subject..!

Irish examiner was from Kerry - My teacher is from Kerry, Im from Dublin. We cant exactly understand the Donegel accent. -So we were extremely lucky! Kept making her laugh at jokes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

Speaking from experience, I really don't think there is a way to tell how you did . The examiners throw out compliments to calm nervous students. I did the LC last year, thought it did really well in french and completely flunked irish but it was the completely opposite way around. If you did the study, the chances are it showed. Otherwise I wouldn't spend ages worrying about it. Good luck though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

I do ordinary irish but did higher all of last year so i'd be fairly alright at it compared to the rest of the people in my class, anyway, halfway through my oral the examiner asked what subjects i do honours in, and i told him everything but Irish. Then he kept telling me my irish was really good and asking why i was doing ordinary..... I felt really good after it cause of this but after reading this thread he could have just been saying that :(

Advertisement