Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original xbox fan replacement.

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am just after softmodding an xbox with XBMC installed on it. I would like to replace the fan or whatever it takes to reduce that noise. I saw several iffy tutorials on replacing the fan. Any recommendations of a proper tutorial and the fan to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Vibe666 posted something up before about it, here

Might be worth just buying a 7cm fan though.. one can be got here no idea is it quiet.

If you have the heat sink in these pictures, that little fan is a loud bastid! If your only using it for XMBC I'd be inclined to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Reducing the fan speed right down in XBMC's settings should remove most of the noise, in case you don't want to rip things apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Reducing the fan speed right down in XBMC's settings should remove most of the noise, in case you don't want to rip things apart.

Prob the best way to go. I found myself doing the exact opposite on the xboxs newer, warmer cousin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

You could try a ball bearing fan which may be quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

I went into settings and saw that the default fan speed was 20%. Brought it higher out of curiosity and now I am thinking it not really the fan.

This xbox does sound like an engine and its noticably louder than the other xbox a friend modded for me a couple of years backed. I suppose it might be ok, just have to turn up the tv a bit more. Intending on changing hard drive at some point so I might notice something when i open it up.

Cheers for the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

If its the original hdd it is probably getting noisy by now so that is most likely your culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

It is the original hard drive alright. Shall be changing it soon. Cheers.

Advertisement