Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Systems and Web Engineering Course

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there....

Im currently unemployed and have applied to go back to college fulltime as a mature student to IADT to do Multimedia and Web Engineering!

I previously worked in the whole IT area doing web design/development for over 8 years!!

what i want to know is would i benefit from this course as i kinda feel i might be going over old ground!! and how intensive is the course??

and thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

Hello!

I'm a 4th year student just about finished the Multimedia systems/Web engineering course you are thinking of applying to. How much work have you done with respect to web design and the likes? In first year it's literally the basics, how HTML operates, some minor javascript and css. Otherwise the rest is looking at adobe products like flash, photoshop, premiere etc.

In second year we did jsp as a main programming language to communicate with databases and do some minor functions. This was the main class, but others include a flash orientated class and computer modelling (maths/physics).

In 3rd year we learned ASP.net, I would have preferred PHP but at the end of the day PHP is a lot simpler to learn and pick up. Other classes include multimedia programming (mainly actionscript but also now flex, papervision etc.)

Finally in 4th year we've gone over many asp.net functions and applications again, something which I've been quite disappointed in. However other areas such as content management systems (programming live components, extensions, modules and plugins for Joomla) have been quite rewarding. Also the web design aspect to 4th year is quite rewarding, you're taught typography, css frameworks and many design faux pas that often arise.

I'd need to know how much you've touched upon to really recommend the course to you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

hey Klepto

thanks for your reply!!

to tell you the truth i have been working the the web develop/design industry for nearly ten year and wud have covered a lot of what you just mentioned about wits in the course!!

however i am out of fulltime work and feel it wud be a good chance to earn a degree (which i doin't have one) and hopefully things will have picked up by the time im finished!! hence why i applied directly to the college to enter second or third year of the course...

let me know your thoughts.

kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jadethepanda

Hey!
    i just got accepted into this course, but my maths isn't really that up to scratch, and i only did ordinary level maths in leaving cert and got a b3! I was just wondering how difficult is the maths in this course? Should i start grinds?

Advertisement