Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derailleur problem

• 21-04-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

What appears to be going on here? Just happened today while out for a cycle. The cage seems to be (very solidly) stuck at that angle and won't move around AT ALL. I'm going to take it off the bike and have a better look but any opinions appreciated... am I looking at a new rear derailleur?

I know the bike is dirty before you start :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Not sure you're looking at a new derailleur - you might just need to disassemble the mechanism and do a clean & regrease to get it going sweet.

Just make sure to have the derailleur assembly diagram on hand when you do it (reassembling Shimano hardware requires the patience of an extra patient saint at the best of times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Looks like the tension spring is gone, try looking inside http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=76#shimano

Seems very early in its life to be failing. Bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

thats it alrite dirt on the tension pulley spring, same thing happened on my winter bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

levitronix wrote: »
    thats it alrite dirt on the tension pulley spring, same thing happened on my winter bike
    Fixable by cleaning/lubing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Make sure you have access to a vise if opening it up. I did with mine and putting the springs back together is impossible with only your two hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

used to happen to me mountain biking a fair bit, tis the old tension spring at the top alright. Often fixable. It could well be that the spring just popped out of place, and loosening the derailleur will give you enough slack to pop back in situ without taking the whole thing apart.

edit: maybe only the older school derailleurs have an external spring element to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also, your bike looks very dirty, I'm hurting a bit just looking at it :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think this justifies a new bike, blorg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

......dont you know he was looking for an excuse to buy Gilberts bike.

Thanks for the replies. I am guessing all this is best dealt with with the derailleur off the bike? I would have to break the chain and get a chain pin to rejoin- unless I disassembled the jockey wheels. Would doing that be my best bet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

blorg wrote: »
    unless I disassembled the jockey wheels. Would doing that be my best bet?
    yeah you get to remove all the grit and crap that has built up in and around the jockey wheels and maybe re-apply a hint of grease in the bearings.They will run better.Just dont lose the washers or screws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

you need to dis assemble jockey cage anyway, as the cage spring needs the look at. Just hope you don't need to replace anything, as spares are very difficult to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi There Blorg,

Looks like you crushed the B-tension adjustment screw, during installation.

Can you include some photos from behind, ie where the high-low limit adjustment screws are.

Hopefully the rear mec hanger isn't damaged. yours is replacable luckily.
    If the B-tension adjuster screw is mangled, you could use the one off an old derailaur.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cycling. :)

Thanks again for all the replies. Probably won't get to it next week but will look at it then.

@SurferDude- I'll have a look at that but I don't think there is anything wrong with the B screw. Last time the derailleur was taken off and reinstalled was back in February after I returned from Spain and I have plenty of happy km on it since with no issues. From a quick look at it yesterday the B screw seemed fine, just that the cage is seized in place and doesn't pivort any more.

In the worst case a new rear derailleur is £48 from CRC, might not be too much more from an LBS either, will check that out.

Thanks again for all the replies. I disassembled the cage, removing the jockey wheels, and there was a bolt with an allen head I was able to loosen a bit holding one side of the cage onto the derailleur- this seemed to free things up. This bolt seems like a new addition to Ultegra 6700 as it isn't there on my older 5600/6600 derailleurs.

All working now (and I cleaned the bike while I was at it.)

Advertisement